Thread: Bald Spot ?

Question Bald Spot ?

I just noticed a bald spot on the top of my squirrels head, is this normal? Any ideas? I will try to get a picture up shortly.

Default Re: Bald Spot ?

Name:  IMG_1523.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  52.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1521.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  59.7 KB

I never noticed it until right now so it must be recent, it only appears as bigger if you comb the hair back a bit; which I've done in these pictures above, but its really bald not even little baby hairs on it. Could it just be from lack of sunlight?

We'll need more information to help. Most likely is diet so we'll start there... what his is his complete diet, list everything.

How wide are the bar spacing on his cage?

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

CLK (09-23-2018)

His diet is the same a usual, squirrel block with fruit(apples,black berries,grapes,blue berries; not all at once though) some type of grain additionally in the morning, lettuce and whichever additional vegetable I have for him on that day for lunch, dinner would be squirrel block again with a bunch of side vegetables. Usually for vegetables lettuce, carrots, corn, mushrooms, I usually mix it up though it just depends I get at the store that week. The only new thing I’ve added recently was the calcium powder from Henry’s which I just sprinkle on his dinners. The spacing on his bars are about half a inch apart roughly.

Is he EATING the block? It looks like his diet is heavy in fruits. Fruits are a treat and they should only get a small piece once or twice a day. When you say “lettuce”, which kind do you mean? They have different nutritional value. Baby arugula, kale, romaine, chicory and endive have more nutrition than iceberg lettuce. Other greens like watercress, cilantro, broccoli and dandelion are also good for them. Lack of protein can also cause hair loss. Some squirrels will eat eggs and my dwarf boy loves chicken.

If you have trouble getting him to eat the block you can grind it up and make boo balls, by mixing in some veggie or veggie/fruit baby food along with some coconut, chia or pumpkin oil to hold it all together. There are several recipes for boo balls in the Nutrition section.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

CLK (09-23-2018)

I usually give him just 2/3 pieces of fruit with the block. He actually loves the block now that I switched the the picky eaters block instead of the regular one, so he eats it all the time I give it to him. He gets romaine lettuce usually. As for protein, I need to pick up more of the meal worms, but as for eggs and chicken I’ve tried both of those and he doesn’t like either of them sadly. I wish he did.

I’ll try picking up the meal worms and see if by eating those if it’ll make a difference in the spot. 🤞🏻

Quote Originally Posted by CLK View Post
    I’ll try picking up the meal worms and see if by eating those if it’ll make a difference in the spot. 🤞🏻

Just so you are aware meal worms have a terrible
    Calcium to Phosphorus Ratio.

This Purebites freeze dried chicken is a hit with the flyers I have rehabbed...
    https://www.amazon.com/PureBites-Chi...%3A11292772011

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

CLK (09-23-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

Just so you are aware meal worms have a terrible
    Calcium to Phosphorus Ratio.

This Purebites freeze dried chicken is a hit with the flyers I have rehabbed...
    https://www.amazon.com/PureBites-Chi...%3A11292772011
    Yes, my dwarf eats the Pure bites chicken. If you’re feeding mealworms, make sure you dust them lightly with calcium powder to make them a little more healthy.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

CLK (09-23-2018)

So you have had great success with feeding the pure bites chicken to your dwarf? I have never offered my dwarf any meat. She's 14 months old now...
    Name:  20200321_211700.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  102.7 KB