Thread: Trying to rule out aspiration

Default Trying to rule out aspiration

We have a 5 week old squirrel. We found Mr. Nibbles almost lifeless under a tree laying in a puddle. His (what we assumed to be) sibling was deceased a few feet away from him. He had very shallow breaths and no movement. We brought him inside warmed him and gave him small drops of milk every hour. He became much stronger, opened his eyes and began to crawl. This his increase strength and interest in eating he began sucking milk too hard. Several times it has come out of his nose and we stop and let him recover and try to pace him. We are limited in supply options for feeding. His breathing is fast and shallow with inconsistent clicking, some sneezing. We have have had him just 4 days. Any advice? I can’t access the video posted. I think that might be helpful.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirlfam from:

RockyPops (04-03-2020)

Default Re: Trying to rule out aspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Squirlfam View Post
    We have a 5 week old squirrel. We found Mr. Nibbles almost lifeless under a tree laying in a puddle. His (what we assumed to be) sibling was deceased a few feet away from him. He had very shallow breaths and no movement. We brought him inside warmed him and gave him small drops of milk every hour. He became much stronger, opened his eyes and began to crawl. This his increase strength and interest in eating he began sucking milk too hard. Several times it has come out of his nose and we stop and let him recover and try to pace him. We are limited in supply options for feeding. His breathing is fast and shallow with inconsistent clicking, some sneezing. We have have had him just 4 days. Any advice? I can’t access the video posted. I think that might be helpful.
    You can not rule AP out. What you have described is what leads to aspiration pneumonia, the clicking is evident of that happening...
    AP takes them down and out fast, antibiotics is it's only hope! Baytril (animal med) or the equivalent Cipro (ciprofloxacin) human med used by many women are the best meds for AP, other human meds could be used. I would check what ab's you may have or call around to family, friends and see what you could come up with. You would only need a pill or two, tell us what you can come up with and we can tell you if it can be used and how to dose. Time is critical!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Nancy in New York (04-03-2020), RockyPops (04-03-2020)