Thread: injured squirrel dragging hind legs- may have been hit by car, bike, etc...not sure

Default injured squirrel dragging hind legs- may have been hit by car, bike, etc...not sure

Hi Everyone,
    (In Montreal, QUebec) We found a squirrel dragging his/her legs in a park...tried to climb a tree but did not go far. We trapped him/her and is now in a carrier. He/ she eats, drinks and we have had him for 1 day. Can not get close enough to see injury and we can not find a vet who will see a squirrel.
    I understand if he needs to be euthanized, but since we don't know how this happened or if he will ever get feelings in his back leg- it is a hard call, especially when we don't know where to take him to be euthanized.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cpietra16 from:

RockyPops (04-02-2020)

Default Re: injured squirrel dragging hind legs- may have been hit by car, bike, etc...not su

Do you have or can you get your hands on either prednisone or prednisolone? People often get this for bad coughs - it is given in ever decreasing amounts over a week to 10 day time period (like day 1 you take 7 pills, day 2 and 3 you take 6, and so on). It is a powerful anti-inflammatory and sometimes the hind leg dragging is being caused by nerves that are being pinched by swelling caused by the trauma. If you can, someone here can help you to properly dilute and dose the meds.

Can he pee? You need to answer that question fairly soon - try to put absorbent paper in his little house so you can see if he pees. If this is spinal and is high enough that he has lost his ability to urinate, that is extremely dire.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Mialouise (04-10-2020), RockyPops (04-02-2020)

Default Re: injured squirrel dragging hind legs- may have been hit by car, bike, etc...not su

HI Thank you for responding..he is peeing and eating and I do have prednisone 5mg for my dog..I'm sure he wont mind sharing. I dont have the weight of this squirrel and he is not approachable.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cpietra16:

Mialouise (04-10-2020), RockyPops (04-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
    HI Thank you for responding..he is peeing and eating and I do have prednisone 5mg for my dog..I'm sure he wont mind sharing. I dont have the weight of this squirrel and he is not approachable.
    Is he an adult? About the same size as the other squirrels out running around the area?

The only way you will be able to give this to him will be orally with a small (1cc) syringe (no needle). The 1cc syringe will be needed for someone here to help you dissolve and dilute the meds. Some handling will be required to do this...

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

RockyPops (04-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Is he an adult? About the same size as the other squirrels out running around the area?

The only way you will be able to give this to him will be orally with a small (1cc) syringe (no needle). The 1cc syringe will be needed for someone here to help you dissolve and dilute the meds. Some handling will be required to do this...
    He may be a she...looks pregnant I think. I was planning on crushing the pill and putting it in a peanut butter tiny sandwich. I do not have the proper tools to handle squirrels.

Our squirrels here are huge, don't forget. My injured one I found looks small by comparison but he weighs 635gr. I would say your grey probably weighs around 700 easy. You might also have to dilute that pill, I think. Dunno, leaving the prednisone to the experts.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scooterzmom from:

cpietra16 (04-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
    He may be a she...looks pregnant I think. I was planning on crushing the pill and putting it in a peanut butter tiny sandwich. I do not have the proper tools to handle squirrels.
    I understand, but you just CAN'T "guess" the amount of prednisone to dose. It needs to be administered very specifically. In the very least, you will need to get a 1cc syringe. You may be able to get one at the pharmacy - tell them you are trying to feed a baby guinea pig. They will have them behind the pharmacy counter, not out on the floor.

I will try to get you dosing help.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

cpietra16 (04-02-2020), RockyPops (04-04-2020)

Give me a minute to write this up... I will use 650grams as the dosing.

(PS A 5mg tablet would provide enough prednisone for days and days of dosing so it is important to be precise).

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

RockyPops (04-04-2020)

I understand, but you just CAN'T "guess" the amount of prednisone to dose. It needs to be administered very specifically. In the very least, you will need to get a 1cc syringe. You may be able to get one at the pharmacy - tell them you are trying to feed a baby guinea pig. They will have them behind the pharmacy counter, not out on the floor.

I will try to get you dosing help.
    I will never give her any medication until I get proper instruction - especially if she’s pregnant

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cpietra16:

CritterMom (04-03-2020), RockyPops (04-04-2020)

Dosing sent in PM.

(I mistakenly sent to Scootersmom first.. sorry!)

19. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

cpietra16 (04-02-2020), Grinderhead (04-02-2020), Nancy in New York (04-03-2020), RockyPops (04-04-2020), Scooterzmom (04-03-2020)

Our little squirrel passed away this afternoon..thank you for everyone who reached out.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cpietra16 from:

RockyPops (04-04-2020)

Aw, I am sorry. At least she was inside, safe from predators, with someone who cared. Sometimes that is all we can do.

Just seeing this. Thank you for caring, cpietra16!

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

RockyPops (04-04-2020)

Ohhh nooo Carmen I'm so sorry. Thank you for caring, for trying. You and Laaurie have been angels for her. Now she's with the real ones.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scooterzmom from:

RockyPops (04-04-2020)

I'm so sorry to read this.
    Thank you for helping this little one and being
    there for her final journey home.

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

RockyPops (04-04-2020)