Thread: I need a little advice/help

Default I need a little advice/help

Hello my name is Amber. Long story short, I have a baby squirrel, maybe had him about 3 weeks now but I keep reading that esbilac is no longer recommended, but I also keep reading that it is super hard on the squirrel when you change their diet. He is between 5-6weeks old. I also want to try to start him on the blocks. Can anyone please help me out!?!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirrelmom1 from:

RockyPops (03-30-2020)

Default Re: I need a little advice/help

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelmom1 View Post
    Hello my name is Amber. Long story short, I have a baby squirrel, maybe had him about 3 weeks now but I keep reading that esbilac is no longer recommended, but I also keep reading that it is super hard on the squirrel when you change their diet. He is between 5-6weeks old. I also want to try to start him on the blocks. Can anyone please help me out!?!

I would order some Fox Valley 20/50 which is the preferred formula for squirrel babies over 4 weeks old. It has a better nutritional balance than the Esbilac (and the Esbilac has had deathly issues recently... we do not recommend it any longer because of changes the manufacturer has made).

You do not want to wean him, it is important to allow him to self-wean and formula is the very best thing for him so we love it when they take it right up until release (14 - 16 weeks).

At 5 weeks, he is ready to be introduced to rodent block.. and only rodent block. No veggies until he is eating his block well... block should be the foundation of his diet.

You can get both Fox Valley 20/50 and the very best squirrel block at Henry's:

https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Chirps (03-30-2020), Nancy in New York (03-30-2020), RockyPops (03-30-2020), Squirrelmom1 (03-30-2020)

Ok awesome! Thank you so much! With the rodent blocks though, is there a certain one I should get or as long as it is a rodent block. I see that there are many different types of blocks like hazelnut blocks and other flavors. Is one better than the other or does that matter?

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Squirrelmom1:

Nancy in New York (03-30-2020), RockyPops (03-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelmom1 View Post
    Ok awesome! Thank you so much! With the rodent blocks though, is there a certain one I should get or as long as it is a rodent block. I see that there are many different types of blocks like hazelnut blocks and other flavors. Is one better than the other or does that matter?
    I have gotten them all and I suggest ordering either the hazlenut blocks, or the picky blocks.
    For some reason, hard as I try, mine will NOT eat any other variety.
    Also the shipping is the same (flat rate), regardless of how many bags you get so you may want to get more than one.
    https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

Also with the formula. Don't skimp on the formula. Let him take it daily as many times
    as you are doing now. Formula is the best insurance against MBD. I've had squirrels take
    it up to 6+ months, along with block, veggies, and the rest of the healthy diet.

Quick story. I had 4 little ones who were still taking formula at 7 months. They needed to
    start the release process but they were on formula. My friend, a member of this board, Squirlgirl,
    has released for me in the past. She said to bring them up, and she would still offer formula out of
    the bowl. I kid you not, they would come by every morning for their formula.
    This went on through part of the winter and she had to keep reheating their
    formula bowl.
    She was a saint for doing this for my little ones.

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Chirps (03-30-2020), RockyPops (03-30-2020), Squirrelmom1 (03-30-2020)