Thread: Seeking Rehabber in SoCal - Paralyzed Baby

Default Seeking Rehabber in SoCal - Paralyzed Baby

Her back legs aren't working, but is perky and eating? I'm in a similar situation with baby squirrel.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Luluwildflower from:

RockyPops (03-29-2020)

Default Re: Seeking Rehabber in SoCal - Paralyzed Baby

I made a new thread for this baby and Luluwildflower, I had sent an PM earlier suggesting a new thread be started, just kick-starting it...

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

RockyPops (03-29-2020)

Thanks for your help Spanky!

Some more information on the little thing!

I am not certain of it's injury or how it got it. I just found it flat on the ground and pulling himself by his front end, and what looked like pushing sometimes with his back end. By recommendation of other squirrel experts we gave him so avocado and some nuts and tried to get some clear flavorless pedialyte in him. The food worked but he would not drink the pedialyte or water. Which we administered from a syringe, dropper and a soaked spounge. But I did not force it in his mouth because I haven't wanted to move him. Should I be a bit more assertive about getting the syringe in his mouth with a tums mixture?

This is the third day and he has mobility in his back legs. even proper him self up supported by the back of the box to eat. And his tail was curled up and around him, not twitching but seemed to be poofy.

There is a rehabiitaor who is will to take him but they Live in Jackson, ca. with is a few hours north of me so we were doing to see if anyone who lives in LA is making their way up there.

I've also been talking to some wildlife rescue organizations down here who are at capacity but are putting me in touch with local support systems.

Any help with transportation or even mentorship on rehab would be greatly welcomed!

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Luluwildflower:

Chirps (03-30-2020), Nancy in New York (03-30-2020), RockyPops (03-29-2020)

Call family or friends and try to locate prednisone, dexamethasone or prednisolone. These are steroids and can do miracles (literally) for squirrels (rodents) that have spinal traumas. The sooner the better the prognosis. People with Asthma or COPD often have these drugs. You will need only a pill or two. We can help dose these drugs if you can locate some.

Have you tried calling http://coastandcanyonwildlife.org/contacts.html ?

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Chirps (03-30-2020), Mel1959 (03-30-2020), Nancy in New York (03-30-2020), RockyPops (03-30-2020)