Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Hi everyone

Default Re: Hi everyone

My husband spent three illegal hours in a shop and then came home with stuff to make the couch squirrel-proof, Red has been running around for an hour now without sneaking into the couch! <3 He's now stealing the apple off of the bird's perches and hiding in his newly made hammock. I made one about the size of the ceiling of his cage to avoid him from backflipping and it's working! He still tries to but now he has to make a lot of different movements to succeed, instead of just repeating the same back-straining movement over and over.

He also really sees his cage as home as this is where he returns when he spooks or when we clap our hands to make him leave spots he can't go. That's super helpful too, he will return to his home at all times instead of sneaking away to hide!

Success!!!

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RedBen:

Chirps (04-07-2020), Mel1959 (04-08-2020), RockyPops (04-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedBen View Post
    My husband spent three illegal hours in a shop and then came home with stuff to make the couch squirrel-proof, Red has been running around for an hour now without sneaking into the couch! <3 He's now stealing the apple off of the bird's perches and hiding in his newly made hammock. I made one about the size of the ceiling of his cage to avoid him from backflipping and it's working! He still tries to but now he has to make a lot of different movements to succeed, instead of just repeating the same back-straining movement over and over.

He also really sees his cage as home as this is where he returns when he spooks or when we clap our hands to make him leave spots he can't go. That's super helpful too, he will return to his home at all times instead of sneaking away to hide!

Success!!!
    Did you ever think you would be strutting around all big-headed, crowing on the internet about FINALLY outwitting a rodent? Welcome to Squirrelville!

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (04-07-2020), gunpackingrandma (04-07-2020), Mel1959 (04-08-2020), RockyPops (04-08-2020)

Now that I think of it, it wasn't one of my 'when I grow up I wanna...', but I'm proud nevertheless

That's one for the CV... hehe.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RedBen:

Chirps (04-08-2020), Mel1959 (04-08-2020), RockyPops (04-08-2020)

Little update,

Red is doing great. This morning I could cuddle him inside the cage while he was half asleep in his hammock. He also jumps on top of my stomach as a way of escaping the couch, instead of putting effort to go around me (like what he did before). I think that's an achievement!
    He likes to pee in my plant, so I put some soil in a plastic lunch box, hoping he will use that as a litter box (can they be potty trained?). I also put ground egg shells over his food.

So far so good!

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RedBen from:

RockyPops (04-11-2020)

He is really coming along great! Just think - he is a little prey animal for whom being very careful and staying away from things it doesn't know is so strongly ingrained, yet in this short time he has already started trusting you. Pretty sure we need more pics.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

RedBen (04-12-2020), RockyPops (04-11-2020)

Hi! Thanks for the update. Was wondering how you are doing. PLEASE take the plant away. If he can pee in it he can eat it. That could be tragic.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

RedBen (04-12-2020), RockyPops (04-11-2020)

Name:  71FF0307-C8D6-4069-B15B-FC5D36ABEA9E.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  56.8 KB

Name:  587E1F05-8FD6-4484-B4D6-7713967F4AC9.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  75.3 KB

Name:  A3E34383-AAE6-4A96-82DB-5237C651FFEF.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  71.3 KB

Name:  B7E1D0AB-C106-4484-9FF6-C82C2DF611DE.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  133.7 KB

"What do you mean I'm not a bird?"
    (Don't worry, this is their night cage. Their enrichment is in another place)

I removed the plant! He can't reach anymore!

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RedBen:

Chirps (04-12-2020), RockyPops (05-05-2020)

OMG I'm in love! The camera sure loves that face! So funny he thinks he's a budgie. Probably casing the joint.

Oh yeah, meant to ask-- he shows no interest in their food? I wondered seeing him near them in other pics but forgot to ask. He never sampled any?

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

RockyPops (05-05-2020)

He's hilarious and slowly starts to follow hands around when holding a cashew, we're getting there...

He doesn't eat their food! Only their romaine lettuce (which he doesn't eat from his own food bowl, surprisingly) but he likes to sit on or in the food bowl and then he knocks it over. He doesn't seem to learn hahaha!

He loves to sit with them and watch from the window up there.

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RedBen:

Chirps (04-12-2020), RockyPops (04-12-2020)

Hi! Wondering how you all are doing.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

RedBen (04-24-2020), RockyPops (04-23-2020)

Hi! We are doing very well, Red is getting slowly used to our hands and sometimes even comes to sit on them to take a snack from the palm of our hands. He's still sneaky but we have eliminated his chances of getting under the couch. He now likes to go behind the oven

He still doesn't enjoy being picked up or pet while he's out of the cage but we have had some moments where I could stroke his back when he's taking a nap.
    Thanks for asking!

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RedBen from:

Chirps (04-24-2020)

Yay! I was going to harrass you for an update today!

Throw pillows stuffed into cracks around things can help. Make absolutely sure he can't get behind the refrigerator - there are fans and things back there that can kill him.

Another place to check are under your cabinets. Many times, they are open above the "toe kick" and a small animal can crawl right in there and the only way you can get them out is to remove the cabinet. You can't see this unless you lay on the floor or stick your hand in there. In my home, the kitchen cabinets are closed off and not accessible, but the ones in my bathrooms are open. Ask me how I know that.

Of course I also now know how to uninstall and reinstall cabinets so yay me. They have now been modified of course.

Very glad to hear you guys are all ok!

24. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (04-24-2020), RedBen (04-24-2020), RockyPops (04-29-2020)

I can only imagine how you figured that out...! The cabinets here are properly closed and we put a huuuge canvas in front of the oven and on top of it too, (it's less wide than the gap made for it to fit in) but the little bastard manages to pry that open with his little thief hands lol. We always watch him when he goes on my kitchen counter (yeah, he just acts like he owns the place LOL!) and we finally managed to close it off. The fridge is closed luckily, he can't reach behind.

We're just trying to figure out what he likes to eat and it's Ramadan now which means loaaads of (new) foods in the house, yay for Red! I really hope he warms up to us more and more and maybe eventually he can take a little nap on my lap <3 I saw the funniest videos on youtube about squirrels running all over their human-trees. So funny!

I'll upload some pics of him soon again!

26. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RedBen:

Chirps (04-29-2020), Mel1959 (04-24-2020), RockyPops (04-29-2020)

Crazy question... do squirrels dream or make sound? It's late here but the sound I heard made me think I forgot to put one bird to bed. A high pitches squeaking sound. When I realized the birds weren't on top of Red's cage, I thought maybe he had hurt himself or gotten stuck with a finger or something but the sound didn't sound really panicked. Red was fast asleep in his bird box that he usually sleeps in. I took the little box out to stroke him and he closed his eyes, seeming deep asleep. When he suddenly woke up he wanted to go back in his cage and he's now sleeping in his hammock... Maybe he had a nightmare? Is that a thing or was he sneezing? I saw him sneeze earlier today but I think that was because he got some dust or bird seed on his nose. He doesn't have a snotty nose or anything and he seems happy and healthy...

28. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RedBen:

Chirps (04-29-2020), island rehabber (05-02-2020), RockyPops (04-29-2020)

Babies will do the high-pitched "mommy!" call when they're in a deep sleep. Later on, juvies (9-16 weeks) will do alarm calls in their sleep as if they're having a bad dream. Also if you haven't noticed, squirrels sleep like the dead. I can't tell you how many years have been shaved off my life trying to shake a squirrel awake
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

30. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Chirps (05-02-2020), Mel1959 (05-03-2020), RedBen (05-05-2020), RockyPops (05-02-2020)

I don't think my Red is a baby anymore (there are some pics in this topic!) but it's good to know they can be dead-asleep! Saves me some heart attacks, he he...
    Sometimes he has really active days and runs around the house until I lock him up for his own good (he. doesn't. stop!) and on days like today he just kinda hangs from the side of his cage all day, hidden in my curtains and sits silently in a corner... He eats though, if you offer him a snack, and when he goes in his cage the first thing he does is drink water so he seems alright to me...

Squirrels are difficult! Hahaha

32. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RedBen:

Chirps (05-05-2020), RockyPops (05-05-2020)

They do sometimes have snoozy days...but make sure you are paying close attention to the calcium to phosphate ratio in the diet - you don't want him getting MBD. It is very easy for us here in the US - all we have to do is order the Henry's diets to prevent it without really having to think too hard about it. You don't have that luxury. He is so reaking adorable, nobody here wants anything to happen to him!

34. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (05-05-2020), RedBen (05-05-2020), RockyPops (05-05-2020)

I dip his grapes in the calcium powder I made from eggs and I mix his food with the powder too! Today he was fine, running around happy as ever. One of the birds has grown curious of him and tries to steal his tail fur for a nest, but it's still attached
    Red doesn't mind them at all, kind of ignores them in all fairness.

I managed to get my hands on pillow stuffing and gave him that, he loves to make a nest from it in his bird box too!

I'm really glad you're all so considerate of my situation and I completely agree; nothing bad should happen to him!

36. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RedBen:

Chirps (05-05-2020), island rehabber (05-08-2020), RockyPops (05-05-2020)

My old next door neighbors had two Newfoundland dogs which works out to about 350 pounds of dog, of which 200 is hair. They used to sprawl out in the yard in the sun and flocks of chicadees would descent upon them and start PLUCKING them! Back and forth, back and forth to their little nest with big beaksfull of hair! I am not even sure the dogs knew it was happening.

38. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (05-05-2020), island rehabber (05-08-2020), RedBen (05-06-2020), RockyPops (05-05-2020)

Awww, just noticed your pic of him next to your name. So adorable!
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

40. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

RedBen (05-06-2020), RockyPops (05-05-2020)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast