Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Hi everyone

Default Re: Hi everyone

Hi, Diggie's Friend, thank you so much for your lengthy post. It's full of helpful information.

Unfortunately, the only thing you mentioned that is available where I am, is yoghurt and walnuts. All other things are not accessible here. I am not feeding Red pine nuts but give him walnuts and cashews occasionally. He also has access to squirrel food I have posted in this topic before and lots of vegetables and occasional fruits.

While I highly appreciate the information shared by everyone, I am going to avoid replying to all of them if they don't contain information useful in my situation. I understand that it's not ideal to own a squirrel in my situation but in my defense, he was eating rabbit pellets in a hamster cage in a pet store. I feel like I am repeating myself frequently and while everyone is very kind and little people are judgmental, I do feel like I have to justify my actions regarding the care of Red a lot.

Once again, please keep sharing the information as perhaps there are things I can improve about Reds health and diet (like plants that could be poisonous etc), but don't be upset if I choose not to respond to all messages... I just do not have full access to all items you guys can reach in the USA and especially in the situation of Corona Virus there is not much I can do about that.

2. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RedBen:

Chirps (07-03-2020), CritterMom (06-04-2020), Diggie's Friend (06-04-2020), island rehabber (06-03-2020), RockyPops (06-03-2020)

Well good on the yogurt and walnuts at least. Limiting the nuts of course is needful for the diet of tree squirrels in captivity, as they are high in fat for one, and contain more phosphorus than calcium. Yet since they also contain many good nutrients and minerals include them just limit them to no more than (1/2) Tsp. daily. If you can get organic plain yogurt that would be best. No use feeding yogurt with high sugar content, as high sugar in the diet causes significant calcium loss into the urine, not supporting calcium from the diet to be absorbed into the bones.

As for feeding leafy greens and vegetables: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...58#post1316558

Quote Originally Posted by RedBen View Post
    Hi, Diggie's Friend, thank you so much for your lengthy post. It's full of helpful information.

Unfortunately, the only thing you mentioned that is available where I am, is yoghurt and walnuts. All other things are not accessible here. I am not feeding Red pine nuts but give him walnuts and cashews occasionally. He also has access to squirrel food I have posted in this topic before and lots of vegetables and occasional fruits.

While I highly appreciate the information shared by everyone, I am going to avoid replying to all of them if they don't contain information useful in my situation. I understand that it's not ideal to own a squirrel in my situation but in my defense, he was eating rabbit pellets in a hamster cage in a pet store. I feel like I am repeating myself frequently and while everyone is very kind and little people are judgmental, I do feel like I have to justify my actions regarding the care of Red a lot.

Once again, please keep sharing the information as perhaps there are things I can improve about Reds health and diet (like plants that could be poisonous etc), but don't be upset if I choose not to respond to all messages... I just do not have full access to all items you guys can reach in the USA and especially in the situation of Corona Virus there is not much I can do about that.
    Yeah, we frequently fail to look at the info on the upper right hand corner of people's posts which say where they are from, mostly because the vast majority of our visitors are from the US.

Stick with us, though - we need to see Red's ears grow into the fringy masterpieces I know they will be when your bitter winter temps set in.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (07-03-2020), RedBen (06-05-2020)

Your little squirrel isn't the first tree squirrel of it's species to have joined our members; there was a longtime member with another squirrel from your same area, just like your little cutie!

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...63#post1316563

Caucasian squirrels belongs to the pine squirrel group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_squirrel

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

RedBen (06-05-2020)

I'll definitely keep posting and updating about Red, as well as reading and considering your advice of course. It's been helpful and I have learned a lot and am sure I will be more and more educated by you guys! It's just that replying to it in a repetitive way is becoming exhausting and sometimes even makes me a little insecure as I obviously want the best for Red!

Is there a way I could get Red to eat yoghurt? I tried before and he wasn't interested much. I am feeding him the calcium/egg shell powder in bits of honey and he seems to like it. I also dip grapes in the powder and give it to him.

As you guys said before, they're like toddlers. No interest in veggies if there's sweet apple on the way!

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RedBen from:

Chirps (07-07-2020)

Maybe it’s the type or flavor of yogurt. Have you tried different flavors? Different brands? My flyer loves a particular brand of vanilla full fat yogurt. The brand I buy is a little sweeter than some others, but isn’t bitter like others. Strawberry and blueberry are other flavors that are usually well accepted, even coconut is liked.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

RedBen (08-17-2020)

You will need to add to the yogurt crushed berries. Not sure what berries you have available there likely imported? If you would like a recommendation you can post what berries are available year round.

The Pumpkin seed oil is imported to your area. Just makesure to get an organic food grade source, not a carrier oil.

This source added to the yogurt will add a nutty flavor to it. With this grind part of the daily nut portion and sprinkle it on top and add a bit mixed in also.

You might be able to get a can of this pumpkin seed oil source: https://www.pumpkinseedoil.cc/ps/sho...il-store-brand

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

RedBen (08-17-2020)

I tried different types of yoghurt but he's not a big fan! We have blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries... The basic!

I made an instagram account to keep up the video's and photo's of Red. If you all like to see it you can visit it by going to www.instagram.com/redthesquirrel

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RedBen from:

Chirps (07-03-2020)

Hi everyone,
    a little update on Red.

He's doing great, he's eating a lot more different stuff and has taken a liking to stealing apple from my fruit basket rather than his own that I give him in the cage. He's running around like a mad man with his 'daily crazy 10 minutes'.

He's not any more tame than he was before but he's not as scared of us anymore and turned the corner of the couch into his potty place... Lol.

I put my phone down to film him while he played and took some screenshots of that.

Name:  IMG_9932.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  80.2 KB

Name:  IMG_9933.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  77.2 KB

Name:  IMG_9935.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  90.6 KB

Name:  IMG_9938.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  86.0 KB

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RedBen from:

Chirps (11-08-2020)

Oh, and before I forget, my biggest achievement... He stopped backflipping completely!!!!!!

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RedBen:

Buddy (11-10-2020), Chirps (11-08-2020)

Hi! Hope you and Red are doing well. Some of my yard squirrels are starting to get their "earmuffs", and that reminded me of Red. Please, has he started or finished growing the looong tufts? Any chance of some pics?
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

Mel1959 (11-09-2020)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456