Thread: Esbilac

Default Esbilac

Hi. Are Rehabbers still having an issue with Esbilac or is it safe to use?

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Marie14:

frankc (03-28-2020), RockyPops (03-27-2020)

Default Re: Esbilac

There are some rehabbers that are using it, but not by itself, and it depends on the expiration date of the Esbilac. I think if it has an expiration date of 2021 and is coupled with another formula like Fox Valley 20/50 or FV Ultraboost it MAY be ok. For young pinkies the recommendation is the homemade goats milk plus formula, which can be found on Henrys Healthy Pets website, till they’re 3-4 weeks old then transitioning to FV 20/50. This is for folks that don’t already have formula on hand.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

frankc (03-28-2020), RockyPops (03-27-2020)

I represent a survey of One, sample size of Two -- two squirrel babies I received at 2 weeks old almost 3 weeks ago. I started them on a brand new fresh can of Esbilac dated 11/2021 mixed 3 parts Esbilac to One part Fox Valley Ultra Boost. They have been doing fantastically. They eat really well -- often over the 7% mark -- but their pee and poops are perfect. Their coats are super-shiny as well. As I said, I am a sample of ONE but I can say the "corrected" Esbilac is fine when mixed with Ultra Boost.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

RockyPops (03-28-2020)

What date should I be looking for? I have been out of the country for a few year so I didn’t know what was going on with the Esbilac.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Marie14 from:

RockyPops (03-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Marie14 View Post
    What date should I be looking for? I have been out of the country for a few year so I didn’t know what was going on with the Esbilac.
    To make a VERY long story short, early in 2019, Esbilac switched out an ingredient for another ingredient whose particles were much larger; these could not be digested by small baby mammals like squirrels, and so the babies received literally NO calcium at all. Many many suffered and died. Pet Ag, Esbilac's parent company, assured us that they had corrected the problem once it was brought to their attention. Unfortunately, you must look for expiration dates of 10/2021 or AFTERWARD for the powder to be safe; there are a lot of cans with 7/2021 out there and you do NOT want those.

I chose to give the Esbilac a try because it is readily available and its FV equivalent, 32/40, is something I personally had horrific experience with. I always mix Ultra Boost into my squirrel formula, right up to weaning time. Possibly the combination I'm using, Esbilac and UB, is a safe way to go. So far my kids are good.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Chirps (03-28-2020), RockyPops (03-28-2020)

Thanks so much for clarifying everything. I had always used Esbilac and whipping cream before all that happened for neonates. I never had a problem. What is ultra boost and where can it be purchased? Also, do the cans of Esbilac that have been corrected also have the probiotics blue line on the top?

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Marie14 from:

RockyPops (03-28-2020)