Thread: Shrieks and Stops Breathing

Default Shrieks and Stops Breathing

I have a 6 week old recovering from chronic diarrhea (possibly from light pneumonia) that only weighs 68 grams in my incubator with his brother at 86F. (He went as low as 55g)
    Last night about 10 minutes after his 3am feeding (3ml) he frantically crawled out from the blanket, shrieked, went rigid, and fell over not breathing.
    I held him for about 10 seconds and then started chest compressions, and about 15 seconds later he opened his eyes and started gasping.
    5 minutes later he squealed and stopped breathing again... and CPR got him breathing again.
    I gave him about .5 ml of maple syrup. I held him in my hands to monitor him until 5am.

He was okay after the 7am feeding, but about 20 minutes after the 11am feeding he repeated the attack.
    Took about 20 seconds of CPR to rouse him.
    I noticed that he immediately started suckling his foot and then my finger.. so I gave him more maple syrup. No second attack this time.

I am thinking either hypoglycemia... or overheating in the incubator.
    So I am going to try a little syrup about 15 minutes before a feeding, and I have moved him and his brother out of the incubator.

No sign of any fluid build up in the abdomen (like heart or kidney problems).
    Not lethargic. Good eager appetite.

Anyone ever run into anything like this before?

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

Chirps (03-28-2020), frankc (03-28-2020), RockyPops (03-27-2020)

Default Re: Shrieks and Stops Breathing

Does he still have diarrhea? Would you consider him a failure to thrive baby?

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

frankc (03-28-2020), RockyPops (03-27-2020)

He appears to have finally dried up on the diarrhea, and is passing mushy pellets.
    One of my mentors thinks the Finder may have aspirated all three in the set, and they had light pneumonia without clicking or indications, causing the diarrhea.
    I have therefore started them on Clavamox.

Their sister died this morning at 11:15 after the feeding. She had been acting very lethargic, was getting abdominal build up, and never recovered from the diarrhea.
    So most likely kidney failure.

Both of the boys have been gaining about 3 grams per day recently.

I have always felt that 'failure to thrive' meant 'unable to determine and correct what was at fault'.
    So I have always considered it a failure on my part.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

frankc (03-28-2020), RockyPops (03-27-2020)

Update: I am thinking this is a seizure... as his brother did the same thing after the 6pm feeding. Squeaked, stopped breathing, recovered after CPR. I think the recovery may have been more automatic than because of my CPR.

Larger brother dropped 10 grams overnight.. Bad and good, as he is now very dehydrated, but he lost most of his abdominal fluid build up.

Both are now over the diarrhea.. just have to hydrate them and build them back up, without pushing too hard, before they run out of momentum. Alternating ringers with dextrose and 50% diluted feedings every two hours. Prognosis still not good.

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

Chirps (03-28-2020), frankc (03-28-2020), Nancy in New York (03-28-2020), RockyPops (03-28-2020)

Sounds like seizures to me; what are you feeding? 3ml is very little for a baby over 60g...is it possible that dehydration is causing them to have a low appetite? Hydrate between meals to increase appetite. Los of appetite = dehydration = more loss of appetite = death. I am sure you know this already but just covering the bases.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

RockyPops (03-28-2020)

6 weeks old.... should be weighing 150-180 grams.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to whisperer from:

RockyPops (03-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Sounds like seizures to me; what are you feeding? 3ml is very little for a baby over 60g...is it possible that dehydration is causing them to have a low appetite? Hydrate between meals to increase appetite. Los of appetite = dehydration = more loss of appetite = death. I am sure you know this already but just covering the bases.
    The 3 ml of formula was a reduction while fighting diarrhea, and I was pushing a lot of fluids in.
    Yes, hydrations between feedings. Both have good appetites.

No new seizures for either.
    They are now both stepped up to 4.5-5ml per feeding of zoologic 33/40.

Smallest boy is doing a lot better and looking more normal.
    Larger boy just passed away at 5:30am.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

RockyPops (03-29-2020)

Godspeed little buddy!

Smaller boy is now doing so well (gaining 10g back per day and nice poops) that I gave him a bath and then moved him from the incubator into a tub with 7 others his size/age.
    He immediately dived into the pile, while they all smelled and nibbled him in greeting.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

RockyPops (03-29-2020)