Thread: Zeb is favoring her front paw.

Default Zeb is favoring her front paw.

So not sure what happened but when I went in to feed the babies Zeb seemed to be favoring her right front paw. Not swollen but she will squeak if I touch it. She will walk on it but she is not as fast as she normally is and she really just wanted me to comfort her on my chest. Her grip strength is down cause when she tried to climb up the cage that paw slipped. Should I just keep her confined in her cage for a few days and limit her mobility and see if it fixes itself?Name:  69AE69B9-21DF-425E-9167-99E3985D6893.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  126.2 KB

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tmstrat from:

RockyPops (03-27-2020)

Default Re: Zeb is favoring her front paw.

That's one plump precious Pretty!

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

Diggie's Friend (03-27-2020), RockyPops (03-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    That's one plump precious Pretty!
    I know!! She plumped up quick! I’ve been trying to get her weight down but isn’t budging! I’m hoping once released she will slim down from jumping and running through trees!

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tmstrat from:

RockyPops (03-27-2020)

Sometimes they can just land on it wrong...
    Allowing her something for pain could help her relax it better,
    keeping her in few days to let it rest is also a good idea.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

RockyPops (03-27-2020), Tmstrat (03-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Sometimes they can just land on it wrong...
    Allowing her something for pain could help her relax it better,
    keeping her in few days to let it rest is also a good idea.
    What could I give for pain?

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tmstrat from:

RockyPops (03-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tmstrat View Post
    What could I give for pain?

You could give INFANT ibuprofen.
    Do you know how much she weighs?
    We dose meds by the weight of the squirrel.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

RockyPops (03-27-2020)

Ill havé to weigh her in the morning, she’s already asleep for the night. I’ll go grab some infant ibuprofen in the morning and have it ready. She’s likely around 450, since that last time I weighed her she hasnt changed much.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Tmstrat:

Nancy in New York (03-28-2020), RockyPops (03-27-2020)

We had the say issue with our girl foxers; best to keep them on the leaner side according to what our vet advised we do. In the wild plump is fine for the colder part of the year, or for breeding, yet when in captive care long-term, veterinarians have found that wilds in captivity develop the same metabolic disorders as domestic species when allowed to get heavier than the leaner end of their wild weight and then maintain it long term. For this reason the lower end of the wild weight is the healthy level to aim at supporting calorie wise over the entire year.

This file contains a graphic on how to determine if a rodent (in this case a lab rat, pardon the other stuff) shown on page 3.

I personally recommend from my diet research to feed a variety of foods found in the wild and compensate for the differential with natural foods, or cultivated versions of wild foods, and when needed surrogate nutrient sources that work for these species, by adding calcium to the diet rather than not feeding inverted ratio foods that the squirrels by instinct are geared to consuming even in the wild. This especially when including rodent block as it is a diet moreover save for the HHB block that is not formulated to be fed with other foods added. This way in adding calcium to the diet for squirrels, the moreover best choice to add is Calcium citrate, for it inhibits calcium loss from calcium robbing anti nutrients in the diet (oxalates).

https://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Orgin...4&s=hpc&sr=1-4

I would add Pycnogenol from Healthy Origins 30 mg. capsule giving one eighth portion (not Tsp.) of the capsule added daily to low fat organic yogurt, plain creamy with probiotics from Stonyfield or Green Valley. This source has been found to counter cholesterol and the negative impact of it on the liver and the heart in rats. It also will increase activity level that promotes weight loss, that takes pressure off the joints long term.

In addition Foods Alive (food grade organic chia oil) is another source that is heart healthy being the best source in support of higher levels of Omega 3 fatty acids. https://foodsalive.com/products/orga...il-foods-alive

Also Organic Pumpkin seed Oil from the Seed Oil Company of Oregon, that has been found to be much supportive of liver health also. https://www.seedoilcompany.com/pumpkin-seed-oil.html

Sadly both of our female foxers developed a cancer tumor on one toe each; this our vet confirmed was from their being obese that commonly promotes cancers in rodents. It is crucial then to get the weight down, but it won't be easy. Start with reducing the nut portion daily to no more than 3/4 Tsp. of chopped organic pecans daily.

NOW is a good brand to get in powder form for Calcium citrate, being the least costly; also Frontier Organics, which includes no additives.
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

RockyPops (03-27-2020)

It sounds like she may have a broken claw, which is very touchy because it is painful, so that a squirrel will favor it.

DF

Thank you for the info! They very rarely get nuts. Their diets is 3 HHB a day, snap peas, romaine, broccoli, 1 blueberry and a nickel size slice of sweet potato. I have cut out the sweet potato and give 4 snap peas a day since I know they are high in sugars. She has slimmed down a bit from that but still a little chunky . I know it takes time so I will I corporate what you said as well.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tmstrat from:

RockyPops (03-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    It sounds like she may have a broken claw, which is very touchy because it is painful, so that a squirrel will favor it.

DF
    I was worried about that as well. Thankfully today she seems better. Climbing and running but still lifts the paw so I think I’ll get some infant ibuprofen and keep her in her cage another day to limit movement.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tmstrat from:

RockyPops (03-28-2020)