Thread: Squirrel Escape

Default Squirrel Escape

Hello All,
    I am worried sick, my Andy escaped from my house today. I was out all day calling for him but he never came back, I'm am extremely concerned because he was not properly pre-released for any amount of time. In fact his cage was being built this weekend, all he had was views from my windows and screen doors everyday when he was out of his room. There are still no leaves on the trees but they're budding, so I know he has no shelter nor food stashes, even though I will always have food for him, but I'm scared of his survival out there alone and no squirrelly friends yet, and really uneasy not knowing what's happening with him right now. Oh, and he escaped before lunch so all he had to eat today was his blocks this morning......worried☹️

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Andylove1 from:

RockyPops (03-26-2020)

Default Re: Squirrel Escape

I’m going out a limb here. I think Andy will return this morning for breakfast. They get so excited with that first taste of freedom. There is no way they will come back with all that exploding to do, BUT the next morning they are hungry and the freedom loses it appeal. They remember that mom/dad always had food and treats so they usually return to find out what’s for breakfast. I will be very surprised if you don’t see Andy today. Let us know.

How old is Andy?

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

gunpackingrandma (03-28-2020), RockyPops (03-26-2020), stepnstone (03-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I’m going out a limb here. I think Andy will return this morning for breakfast. They get so excited with that first taste of freedom. There is no way they will come back with all that exploding to do, BUT the next morning they are hungry and the freedom loses it appeal. They remember that mom/dad always had food and treats so they usually return to find out what’s for breakfast. I will be very surprised if you don’t see Andy today. Let us know.

How old is Andy?
    Andy is about 8mos.old now. And you are right, not only was I up all night with worry, he/Andy must have been too because I was looking outside before the sun came up and I saw him, so I did feed him and he ran off again, but when it's started raining and temperature dropping he decided he wanted back in the house and the funny thing about it is that is was about 3:00pm he went right to bed and didn't move till the next day. I still want him to be happy and wild, but I don't know if that's what he wants? Is this normal for him to want to be in the house? If he does, I don't have a problem with it either way. I'm just HAPPY he is safe.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Andylove1:

gunpackingrandma (03-28-2020), Nancy in New York (03-28-2020), RockyPops (03-27-2020)

Yay!

Jamie

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TomahawkFlyers from:

RockyPops (03-27-2020)

Probably not unusual to want back in. They tend to come back to their release site (your house) for a while. Til they get their bearings.

Don't be surprised if he wants back out right away. If you do the soft release now, he may be ready when the trees are.

Good luck out there little Andy!

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

Nancy in New York (03-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Andylove1 View Post
    Andy is about 8mos.old now. And you are right, not only was I up all night with worry, he/Andy must have been too because I was looking outside before the sun came up and I saw him, so I did feed him and he ran off again, but when it's started raining and temperature dropping he decided he wanted back in the house and the funny thing about it is that is was about 3:00pm he went right to bed and didn't move till the next day. I still want him to be happy and wild, but I don't know if that's what he wants? Is this normal for him to want to be in the house? If he does, I don't have a problem with it either way. I'm just HAPPY he is safe.
    I'm glad to hear he came back.
    That's a whole new world out there and I'm sure he was in his glory for awhile exploring every inch he could take in.
    Not unusual he would be tuckered out and just want to sleep, not that unusual with the rain he wanted back in either.
    I have some older releases that will still come to my release cages and spend the night (or day) when it's raining especially
    if it's wet and chilly.
    Give him the chance to go through a proper soft (pre) release, once he goes through that and is released again then
    you will know if he wants to stay out or come back in. There are exceptions but the majority will want to be /stay free.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Nancy in New York (03-28-2020), RockyPops (03-28-2020)