Thread: Med Dosages

Default Med Dosages

Hope I'm posting in the right place.
    I need Amoxicillin dosage for an 80g squirrel, but was wondering if anyone has an actual dosage chart for medications?
    It would be so useful to have the main antibiotic dosages so I don't have to ask every time I have a different weight orphan come in.

Thanks in advance!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to pgm from:

RockyPops (03-26-2020)

Default Re: Med Dosages

Quote Originally Posted by pgm View Post
    Hope I'm posting in the right place.
    I need Amoxicillin dosage for an 80g squirrel, but was wondering if anyone has an actual dosage chart for medications?
    It would be so useful to have the main antibiotic dosages so I don't have to ask every time I have a different weight orphan come in.
    Thanks in advance!
    Why /What is the amox being used for?
    Not the best med for a squirrel, very hard on their stomachs.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

RockyPops (03-26-2020)

A friend needs the link for a squirrel with infected leg.q saw it once cant find it. Can someone post the link to proper meds for a squirrel amd dosage.?

Here is the problem. Most meds are available in multiple variations - oral suspension (already diluted to some ?? dilution; injectible; and pill or tablet form, often available in different sizes. So a simple chart won't work - you need to be able to bring whatever variety and pill size you have to a specific dilution, and THEN you can calculate the dose by the weight of the animal. So you have a boatload of math calculations just to get the dilution, and MORE calculations to get it to the right amount by the animal's weight.

It is REALLY easy to make a mistake. We have a few ridiculously brilliant people here with medical field experience that do the majority of it for you. Making a mistake can be a disaster, and we do NOT want to take someone who is here looking for help and kill their baby for them. It is also the reason we won't give dosing info on the open board - we only do it by PM or email, so someone reading and looking for the info can't find information that is completely wrong for their animal and use it...

7. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Mel1959 (04-08-2020), RockyPops (04-08-2020), tgramsey (04-13-2020), Tmstrat (04-08-2020)