Thread: Possible aspiration

Default Possible aspiration

My little guy eats so fast, from a speciality “squirrel nipple”, and now he has a clicking sounds when he breaths...just after this last feeding. He is 5 weeks old and weighs 122g. My local vet office is closed, but the feed store, which sells antibiotics for livestock, is still open. I’m wondering what I should get just to have on hand...just in case I need it. I have read hours of literature on proper care, and have had him for 2 weeks. He is being fed in the proper position, and all of that. I just need to know what to get and the dosing to give him. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Yuckermouth from:

RockyPops (03-26-2020)

Default Re: Possible aspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Yuckermouth View Post
    My little guy eats so fast, from a speciality “squirrel nipple”, and now he has a clicking sounds when he breaths...just after this last feeding. He is 5 weeks old and weighs 122g. My local vet office is closed, but the feed store, which sells antibiotics for livestock, is still open. I’m wondering what I should get just to have on hand...just in case I need it. I have read hours of literature on proper care, and have had him for 2 weeks. He is being fed in the proper position, and all of that. I just need to know what to get and the dosing to give him. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!
    If he has aspirated and clicking he needs antibiotics asap, there is no "just to have on hand" time.
    Aspiration pneumonia takes them down fast!
    I can not tell you what a feed store could possibly carry in antibiotics that could be used on a squirrel.
    Human medicine can be broken down and used. Cipro is best for Ap, many woman use and often keep on hand.
    I would call around to family friends and see what antibiotic you can come up with, you would only need a pill
    or two. We can tell you how to break down and dose.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

RockyPops (03-26-2020)