Thread: Disabled squirrel self-amputating leg!!

Exclamation Disabled squirrel self-amputating leg!!

I feel so terrible I didn’t catch this sooner, but I got bit a few times so I’d stopped bathing her & doing hands on checks. She’s chewed off much of the muscle & the bone is exposed. She had been eating normally, but now seems like she’s in a lot of pain (rapid breathing).

I feel so horrible & I don’t know what to do. I tried bandaging it, but it immediately got soaked with urine so I removed the bandage & cleaned with hydrogen peroxide. The leg has always seemed to have no feeling & the foot is cold.

I’m a horrible squirrel mom. :cry

Please help!!

Name:  F05C5A40-27B5-483A-8BD9-0E74A0BDC68C.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  120.0 KB

Default Re: Disabled squirrel self-amputating leg!!

Squirrels chew, it is one of those things we watch for. And even if you are super careful, it only takes a few minutes when you are not around and ...... the damage is done. So don't be too hard on yourself. Is you little one paralyzed from the waist down?

In the short term, you should clean that wound up, dry it and place some antibiotic ointment on it. Wrap it up with some Coban bandage, snug but not too tightly, we don't want to restrict circulation especially if his foot already feels cool to the touch.

I am going to alert some members here who have dealt with similar situations and they can give share their experience and expertise with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I feel so terrible I didn’t catch this sooner, but I got bit a few times so I’d stopped bathing her & doing hands on checks. She’s chewed off much of the muscle & the bone is exposed. She had been eating normally, but now seems like she’s in a lot of pain (rapid breathing).

I feel so horrible & I don’t know what to do. I tried bandaging it, but it immediately got soaked with urine so I removed the bandage & cleaned with hydrogen peroxide. The leg has always seemed to have no feeling & the foot is cold.

I’m a horrible squirrel mom. :cry

Please help!!

Name:  F05C5A40-27B5-483A-8BD9-0E74A0BDC68C.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  120.0 KB
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

3. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Chirps (03-20-2020), frankc (03-21-2020), island rehabber (03-21-2020), Pam (03-21-2020), RockyPops (03-20-2020)

She really needs to be seen a vet.. do you have a vet that will see her? An e-collar or some other way to keep her away from her leg is needed. If you do not have a vet, maybe post your general area (county / city) and perhaps someone can refer you to a vet that will see him. It really looks as if that leg needs to be removed to me.

Just did a quick read of the other thread on him from January. Is he on any meds at all currently? Sometimes gabapentin can help with the tingling sensation that causes them to chew at paralyzed limbs like this..

Edit: Peroxide is not advisable to use on healthy tissue as it will actually damage healthy tissue.

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Chirps (03-20-2020), frankc (03-21-2020), RockyPops (03-20-2020)

There's a sticky in the non-life threatening forum on how to make an e-collar. I don't know how to post links. If you can macgyver up a safe one it may buy you some time until you can get vet help.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

frankc (03-21-2020), RockyPops (03-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Squirrels chew, it is one of those things we watch for. And even if you are super careful, it only takes a few minutes when you are not around and ...... the damage is done. So don't be too hard on yourself. Is you little one paralyzed from the waist down?

In the short term, you should clean that wound up, dry it and place some antibiotic ointment on it. Wrap it up with some Coban bandage, snug but not too tightly, we don't want to restrict circulation especially if his foot already feels cool to the touch.

I am going to alert some members here who have dealt with similar situations and they can give share their experience and expertise with you.
    Thanks for the support, greatly appreciated. Yes, she’s paralyzed from a tumor/cyst on her back. I had wrapped it, but because of the urination issues, the bandage got quickly soaked.

I don’t see any infection (thank God) but I’d like to do something for her pain.

I’ll be keeping a close eye on it from now on.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Pam:

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    She really needs to be seen a vet.. do you have a vet that will see her? An e-collar or some other way to keep her away from her leg is needed. If you do not have a vet, maybe post your general area (county / city) and perhaps someone can refer you to a vet that will see him. It really looks as if that leg needs to be removed to me.

Just did a quick read of the other thread on him from January. Is he on any meds at all currently? Sometimes gabapentin can help with the tingling sensation that causes them to chew at paralyzed limbs like this..

Edit: Peroxide is not advisable to use on healthy tissue as it will actually damage healthy tissue.
    It’s illegal to keep wildlife where I am. They’d just put her down.

No meds currently (we think she’s a her). I have some gaba, but it’s high dose. Do you know dosage recs?

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Pam:

Rocky1 (03-20-2020), RockyPops (03-20-2020)

We need the strength of the gaba that you have and weight of your squirrel.

It’s illegal to keep wildlife where I am. They’d just put her down.

No meds currently (we think she’s a her). I have some gaba, but it’s high dose. Do you know dosage recs?

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Can we help Pam find a squirrel friendly rehabber in her area?

I understand if we do not know any rehabbers in her area, but my thinking is that maybe we could locate someone who could take the squirrel the vet without fear of euthanizing, etc. I understand this may not be possible. Just asking.

15. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rocky1:

Chirps (03-20-2020), frankc (03-21-2020), Pam (03-21-2020), RockyPops (03-20-2020)

If you do not have a vet, maybe post your general area (county / city) and perhaps someone can refer you to a vet that will see him. It really looks as if that leg needs to be removed to me.

17. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Chirps (03-21-2020), frankc (03-21-2020), RockyPops (03-21-2020)

My vet in sc sees squirrels with out you having to be a rehabber. P.m. me if u want the name. She's in sc
    Sincerely mary r

19. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Ozzy2019:

Chirps (03-21-2020), frankc (03-21-2020), RockyPops (03-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy2019 View Post
    My vet in sc sees squirrels with out you having to be a rehabber. P.m. me if u want the name. She's in sc
    Sincerely mary r
    I’m in Colorado.

If anyone knows a rehabber in the Bolder/N. Denver area who could help on the down-low, that would be awesome, thanks!!

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Pam:

Chirps (03-21-2020), RockyPops (03-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    We need the strength of the gaba that you have and weight of your squirrel.
    She’s 272g & I have 600mg gabapentin

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Pam:

Chirps (03-21-2020), RockyPops (03-21-2020)

She’s 272g & I have 600mg gabapentin
    PM sent with dosing info... I am sorry it was so long before anyone could get this to you.

I’m in Colorado.

If anyone knows a rehabber in the Bolder/N. Denver area who could help on the down-low, that would be awesome, thanks!!

Colorado is one of the states we have few contacts... I will post a new thread with a link to your thread.. with luck it will catch someone's eye that can help or knows a vet that will...

Thanks Spanky. I was waiting to get confirmation of dosing before I sent it over. Was considering 10mg/kg PO? Is that how you dose this?

PM sent with dosing info... I am sorry it was so long before anyone could get this to you.

-Grateful Dead