Thread: Safe Emergency TEMPORARY FORMULA for Finders**************

Default Safe Emergency TEMPORARY FORMULA for Finders**************

EMERGENCY TEMPORARY FORMULA

An in-depth discussion at the Gathering of Nuts 2020 resulted in the selection of this homemade temporary formula below. This formula can be recommended to finders who come here looking for help because they must feed the baby they found, while looking for a rehabber to take it. This is NOT recommended as a permanent formula for long-term use by rehabbers; we have all pretty much figured out what we're going to feed this year. This is for that person who can't get the baby to a rehabber immediately and needs to offer nourishment. No time for ordering Fox Valley, Zoologic or anything else -- this can be bought at a grocery store.

*3 tablespoons ANY plain yogurt

*2 tablespoons HWC (heavy whipping cream)

*1/2 egg yolk

Again, this is not a permanent formula substitute for rehabbers or those with NR squirrels. It's what we can recommend to those first responders who MUST feed the baby.

Questions and comments are welcome, of course!!

IR
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

2. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Bushwacker (09-08-2022), Chirps (03-24-2020), Grinderhead (03-17-2020), Mel1959 (03-17-2020), Milo's Mom (03-17-2020), Nancy in New York (03-17-2020), RockyPops (03-18-2020)

Default Re: Safe Emergency TEMPORARY FORMULA for Finders**************

Yogurt must be full fat and have NO SUGAR SUBSTITUTES. A yogurt marketed for human babies, such as YoBaby is good. They don't put nearly as much crap in the formula for babies and children.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

4. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

Chirps (03-24-2020), island rehabber (03-17-2020), Mel1959 (03-17-2020), Nancy in New York (03-17-2020), RockyPops (03-18-2020), Spanky (03-17-2020)

It was discussed that this temporary, emergency formula should be used for no longer, ideally, than 2 weeks. It should buy time until the correct, healthy formula can be received and started.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

6. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Chirps (03-24-2020), E-V-Wankinobie (09-06-2021), island rehabber (03-17-2020), Mel1959 (03-17-2020), Nancy in New York (03-17-2020), RockyPops (03-18-2020)

I recently learned something about yogurt that I think will be helpful. I’m sure we are all familiar with the liquid that separates from the yogurt and sits on top. I have always poured that off because frankly, it looks nasty to me. I am not a yogurt eater. I learned that this liquid is called whey. It contains protein, calcium and potassium and should be mixed into the yogurt for added nutrients and a smoother texture.
    Who knew?

8. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

EarlsMom (10-11-2021), island rehabber (03-17-2020), Javarat (03-17-2020), Mel1959 (03-17-2020), Nancy in New York (03-17-2020), RockyPops (03-18-2020)

I have been crunching a lot numbers using the wildagain nutrition calculator, trying to find a more balanced formula.
    I have learned a lot along the way about why some cause bloating and some cause diarrhea.

The best ones I have found are:
    4 parts Zoologic 33/40 : 7 parts water : 1/4th part heavy whipping cream, or
    1 part Fox Valley 32/40 : 1 part Fox Valley 20/50 : 4 parts water.

Both of these have a solids comparison to mother squirrel milk of around 75% (65-75 being the best range for digestion),
    and the same ratio of proteins/fats as mother squirrel milk to prevent bloating/diarrhea.

I have seen a lot of rehabbers talking about Royal Canin formula...
    ... but the nutrition numbers show it is very high in carbs, but low in proteins and fat.
    So you wind up with some very fat babies but without a balanced development of muscles and tissues.
    Sort of like raising a human child on a potato diet.

10. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

Chirps (03-24-2020), Mel1959 (03-17-2020), Nancy in New York (03-17-2020), RockyPops (03-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    I have been crunching a lot numbers using the wildagain nutrition calculator, trying to find a more balanced formula.
    I have learned a lot along the way about why some cause bloating and some cause diarrhea.

The best ones I have found are:
    4 parts Zoologic 33/40 : 7 parts water : 1/4th part heavy whipping cream, or
    1 part Fox Valley 32/40 : 1 part Fox Valley 20/50 : 4 parts water.

Both of these have a solids comparison to mother squirrel milk of around 75% (65-75 being the best range for digestion),
    and the same ratio of proteins/fats as mother squirrel milk to prevent bloating/diarrhea.

I have seen a lot of rehabbers talking about Royal Canin formula...
    ... but the nutrition numbers show it is very high in carbs, but low in proteins and fat.
    So you wind up with some very fat babies but without a balanced development of muscles and tissues.
    Sort of like raising a human child on a potato diet.
    Javarat, I appreciate your research but this thread is for FInders, the General Public who need to feed a baby NOW. They are not going to order things and wait 5 days to feed the baby. Please do copy and post your thread in a new topic add to our previous formula threads. This is Emergency, for first finders.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

12. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Mel1959 (03-17-2020), RockyPops (03-18-2020), stepnstone (03-17-2020), TubeDriver (03-17-2020)

Sorry about that IR.. I did notice the thread was a sticky.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

RockyPops (03-18-2020)