Thread: Dinner at Chez Tomahawk

Default Dinner at Chez Tomahawk

A kale and acorn salad (not as many there as it appears - there have been several clinkers; all shell, no nut, near the bottom of this barrel and it works out to close to one nut per kiddo) and a main dish of fresh warm boiled chicken. This followed by a lounge in a coconut on the lanai or a mad dash on the Ferris wheel. The picture of the little guy on the wheel is about as clear as it gets. When he gets going it is a blur, even when watching in person.

Jamie
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TomahawkFlyers:

Chirps (03-16-2020), Diggie's Friend (04-02-2020), Mel1959 (03-17-2020), Nancy in New York (03-16-2020), RockyPops (03-17-2020), Timberbeast (03-17-2020)

Default Re: Dinner at Chez Tomahawk

How did they do with the chicken?

Give them mushrooms for Vitamin D. You can also buy a rodent block at a pet retailer. They sell Mazuri or Oxbow rodent block. You can order a better one online. It is called Envigo Teklad 2018. It is usually received well by squirrels. It is a dry extruded pellet so it will last in the cage without going bad.

I enjoy watching your flyer cams.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Chirps (03-17-2020), RockyPops (03-17-2020)

Chicken GONE! Kale, GONE! Chestnuts, GONE! I swear, one day I'll reach in there to put dinner down and it will be "Jamie's arm, GONE!"

These guys also get the 2014 (low cal) version of the Teklad blocks. They are the "Always there" food, just like a jar of peanut butter is constantly there for most of us humans. They eat them, but will eat just about anything else first. It is clear they value them though. Compared to one of the little guys a chunk of Teklad weighs a fair bit. I've emptied a few from stashes when the objects holding the stashes have needed laundering. Couldn't have been easy getting them up there and they usually have had munch marks on them.

Glad you're enjoying the show!

Jamie

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TomahawkFlyers:

Diggie's Friend (04-02-2020), RockyPops (03-19-2020)

Perfect. I’m glad they have the block. When they HAVE to, they will eat them.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

RockyPops (03-19-2020)

"Munch marks" lol

I'd be willing to bet that they know what they need and even if blocks are unappealing they will bite the bullet and bite the block just to get some needed nutrient quickly. My wilds (eastern greys) have come to expect blocks from me now and eat them eagerly. Some will take them over sunflower hearts if I put both out at the same time, so I figure they need whatever's in them.

My spoiled tame wild baby will take a block first, and if I hang around she realizes I'm waiting for her to finish it so I can give her a pecan, so she'll either drop it half eaten or carelessly "cache" it in whatever crevice she has right there and mug me for the good stuff. I figure it's a win if she eats most of one first.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

RockyPops (03-19-2020)

Animals are brilliant. It is a conceit of our species that we believe we are the only members of the kingdom who are able to reason. One day there will be a way to fully communicate with the animals around us and we will be humbled. Humbled indeed. In the meantime, those of us with open hearts will go on loving our animal friends and our animal friends will go on loving us.

Jamie

12. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TomahawkFlyers:

frankc (03-25-2020), HRT4SQRLS (03-20-2020), Mel1959 (03-21-2020), RockyPops (03-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TomahawkFlyers View Post
    Animals are brilliant. It is a conceit of our species that we believe we are the only members of the kingdom who are able to reason. One day there will be a way to fully communicate with the animals around us and we will be humbled. Humbled indeed. In the meantime, those of us with open hearts will go on loving our animal friends and our animal friends will go on loving us.

Jamie
    Well said.