Thread: Squirrel help....Please!

Post Squirrel help....Please!

Hi all,

Thanks so much for looking in. I know this has been written about hundreds of times but I still can’t find the info that I need.

I have a squirrel that visits my balcony daily for food. She has visited me since she was a baby from last October (2019). I noticed teats on her mother in August when she was pregnant so I am guessing she is 8/ 9 months old?

I have recently noticed some heavy loss of fur on parts of her body. For the main part of her back she is ok, but underneath and around her arms she has large bald patches. She scratches A LOT but I hoped over the weeks it would solve itself which it hasn’t and I notice now she is losing fur above her ears where she scratches. (I have attached some photos).

I read that Ivermectin is an option but am so worried about getting the dosage wrong. Some posts say to give the amount that would fit in the ‘O’ - other places the size of an uncooked grain of rice.

Because of the uncertainty and anxiety about getting the dose wrong I have left it as long as I could but she is gradually losing so much fur and scratching so much, I think I need to take action.

So my questions are,

1. Do you think it sounds like I should give her some ivermectin?
    2. Would the below paste be ok to use?
    https://www.vetuk.co.uk/horse-suppli...-wormer-p-1338

3. What IS the correct dosage?! (A photo of correct amount would be ideal if possible).

It's so funny how these wild creatures enter into your life and you eventually feel such a responsibility for their wellbeing!

SO SO grateful for all help/guidance on this.

Best wishes,

Michael

Name:  image1 copy.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  33.8 KBName:  Squirrel Pic 2.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  127.2 KBName:  Squi.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  44.3 KB

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to groucho35:

Chirps (03-19-2020), RockyPops (03-14-2020)

Default Re: Squirrel help....Please!

It is hard to tell without closer pics or actually seeing her in person, but the exposed skin looks smooth and pink and healthy - is it? Mange normally leaves the skin looking rough and scaley, especially on the eartips. The skin often appears almost silvery there because it is drying up and falling off.

The photos on the horse wormer site are awful! Is this one ivermectin only? Some of the horse wormers also have other anti-parasitics added to the ivermectin and I can't read the writing on your attached pic to make sure. You want just 1.87% ivermectin.

Go with the grain of rice measurement. Actually use a dried grain of rice for comparison - they are pretty small. I usually squirt a tiny bit on a plate and use a toothpick to pull away my "rice grain." The folds and crevices on the top of a pecan makes a good place to put the paste. It is flavored so they usually just scarf it right up. A tiny bit more or less is not going to be an issue. Ivermectin is also available as a liquid that needs to be diluted before it is used. This is the tricky one, mostly because since you need math to come up with the proper dose, it is VERY easy to make a decimal point error, and a misplaced decimal point can result in a dose that is 10 or even 100 times what it should be. I ALWAYS use the horse wormer.

Dosing is ONCE ever 10 days. I would shoot for at least 2 doses, 3 if you need it - hair begins growing back quickly Ivermectin kills only adult mites, so giving 3 doses over 30 days should give eggs a chance to hatch and then be killed.

So, one rice grain every 10 days. It will take care of any fleas she has, too. I have given it to many of my wilds and have NEVER had a problem. Even if this is not a mite issue, it isn't going to hurt her. And if it IS mites, it works like freaking magic!

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (03-19-2020), frankc (03-14-2020), groucho35 (03-15-2020), RockyPops (03-14-2020)

Hi there,

Hope you are Ok.

The paste finally arrived!

I have attached below the box, the ingredients and a practice dose for you please, please to take a look to give it the all clear. Is it the right paste to use and dosage size?Name:  Box.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  66.2 KBName:  Ingredients.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  107.6 KBName:  Paste size?.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  66.9 KB (The rice is on the left and the clear jelly bit is the ivermectin paste next to it).

Thank you so much for looking at this. She is still losing fur - I think mainly from where she is scratching and scratching. Hopefully this will help her.

Michael

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to groucho35:

Chirps (03-19-2020), frankc (03-19-2020), RockyPops (03-19-2020)

Looks just fine. Once every 10 days for at least two and if possible 3 doses total.

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (03-19-2020), frankc (03-19-2020), groucho35 (03-19-2020), RockyPops (03-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Looks just fine. Once every 10 days for at least two and if possible 3 doses total.
    Many thanks

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to groucho35:

Chirps (03-19-2020), frankc (03-19-2020), RockyPops (03-19-2020)

Name:  Pic 1.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  147.7 KBName:  Pic 2.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  99.6 KB

Hi there,

I was waiting to give you an update, but there seems to have been a development you might say!

I noticed when the squirrel came last week she seems to have teats! I have taken a couple of photos - not sure how well you can see, but they seem like teats to me. I am slightly confused as I thought she was just a baby herself and only started coming to me with her mother who I used to feed since the beginning of October! Is that even possible?

I only gave her one dose of the ivermectin 10 days ago and was going to give her another dose as she still seems to be scratching a lot. Should I stop now if she might have babies - or are those teat looking things something else?! Very confused!

Many thanks,

Michael

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to groucho35 from:

RockyPops (04-01-2020)

She may indeed have babies. I don't know what to advise on the meds for mom with babies.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

groucho35 (04-01-2020)