Thread: TUNA

Default TUNA

At Costco the other day we ran into this foil-pouched tuna that is considerably less expensive than the freeze dried chicken the crew deigns to eat every once in awhile. The Mercury level tests out at less than .1 part per million. Lots of protein. Sodium seems reasonable.

Any danger in seeing if the little guys will eat this?

Jamie

Name:  Tuna.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  108.1 KBName:  Mercury.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  99.1 KB

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TomahawkFlyers from:

RockyPops (03-13-2020)

Default Re: TUNA

You can try it. I will be surprised if they eat it.

One thing you need to be careful of is drawing raccoons to the room. The grey squirrel got into the room so a raccoon might try tearing in. They will smell it and will most definitely eat it. Drawing raccoons is a bad thing. They carry a deadly round worm and they will kill squirrels if given the chance.

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Chirps (03-16-2020), Diggie's Friend (04-02-2020), island rehabber (03-13-2020), RockyPops (03-13-2020)

Never thought of that. It is a strong smell for sure. I'll stay on the safe side and keep it in my sandwiches. Thanks!

Jamie

6. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TomahawkFlyers:

Chirps (03-16-2020), HRT4SQRLS (04-02-2020), island rehabber (03-13-2020), RockyPops (03-13-2020)

There are other toxins in fish that aren't noted, Tuna in particular was found to be rather high in radioactive waste from the Fukishima reactor. As to what it is now is anyone's guess, for tuna when harvested is often the older ones, for it takes many years to reach the size that is targeted for harvesting. Gotta watch out for fish bones in some fish.

The only subspecies of squirrels I read eats fish carrion, and then likely the fat parts like the brain, is the Big Cypress Fox squirrels that have access to them in their habitat, yet that isn't tuna. I know that ground squirrels that live at the beach like mollusks and crustaceans, yet i don't recommend they be fed to tree squirrels, nor to groundies either; for these creatures respectively filter out toxins and consume fish carrion that tend to have elevated levels of heavy metals.

Organic boiled chicken and baked chicken with nothing added and the skin and the smaller bones removed, along with boiled eggs with the white fully cooked and yolk soft but not runny is well liked. Giving them small portions, rather than a whole egg to gorge on, is advised, as is feeding a {2:1) ratio of white to yolk, never the white alone.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Chirps (04-03-2020), TomahawkFlyers (04-02-2020)

Thanks, Diggie's Friend. Worried about smell attracting raccoons, We passed on the tuna. BTW, we feed 18 at a time - a single hard boiled egg, chopped and mixed together, seems about right. The chicken is hit or miss. One day, they eat it all. Another day, not at all. We've noticed that they don't care for the same thing two nights in a row. Picky little guys!

Jamie

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TomahawkFlyers:

Chirps (04-03-2020), Diggie's Friend (04-03-2020)

Try boiling the “wrist” pieces of chicken wings for 40 mins in water and chicken broth...you wanna see some flyers go crazy...my boys LOVE them!! They eat them like corn on the cob!! I have. A video posted on here somewhere of them eating chicken wings. Also if you do chickens or turkeys...the giblets boiled the same way seems to be a big hit as well!! Not to mention there are good vitamins in hearts and livers.

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Timberbeast:

Chirps (04-03-2020), Diggie's Friend (04-11-2020), RockyPops (04-03-2020)

Thanks, Timberbeast. I'll pick some wings up when I get up the courage to go out to the grocery.

Jamie

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TomahawkFlyers:

Chirps (04-03-2020), Timberbeast (04-05-2020)