Thread: New here and need advice

Default New here and need advice

I'm sorry I haven't taken time to introduce myself but I may have a situation with a six year old male fox squirrel so I'll get right to the important stuff.

Stats: 6 year old male fox squirrel 1068 grams or 2.35 lbs.
    Indoor NR orphan hand raised since birth. Released twice but kept coming home injured/traumatized. This was over five years ago.
    Diet: Henry’s hazelnut blocks (2-3 per day), apples, pecans, almonds, avocado, pear, strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, lettuce (various varieties), rose petals, snap peas, banana, kiwi.
    He has been very lethargic for about a month now. He’s typically lazy this time of year but his appetite is also off and he’s spending too much time hunched with his head down.
    I’ve suspected a UTI because he has had some funky (thick milky) discharge from his penis but he is urinating. His urine does smell stronger than usual but not offensive and it’s darker than usual at times. We have also observed the occasional solid matter in his urine. These are gelatinous and about the size of a small grain of rice. Right now they are slightly opaque but when he was younger they were thinner and clear. He does not always have these with every urination. Could all of this be related to the rutt? His attitude is calm and he is always good natured.
    He spends most of his time on top of his enclosure and only goes inside when we are not home to supervise him or if he’s being too mischievous.
    Last month he did some major remodeling to his wooden shelter box. He got really ambitious about enlarging the door (by gnawing) and left a huge pile of small wood chips. I was amused by his ambition at the time. His house is made out of plain (untreated) pine and he was chewing the end grain so the chips were mostly small rather than splinters. I’m starting to be concerned that he may have ingested some of the pine chips as this was just prior to him becoming so lethargic. A day or two after this we noticed that he hadn’t touched his food all day so we started monitoring him very closely. He is pooping and peeing but his appetite comes and goes.
    He has also vomited at least five times over the month. This is usually first thing in the morning and it is usually about a teaspoon of white foamy mucus that doesn’t have any distinct odor. He did vomit mid-day once and it was after he ate a piece of pear. This came up like white applesauce. Monday morning he vomited what looked like egg yolk with a bit of the foamy mucus. This vomiting has us very concerned.
    Since then, he has had ups and downs with his appetite and energy. He is grooming but he hasn’t been prowling and hiding things like usual. His hunched over, head-down posture has me concerned but he is not yelping or protesting as if he is in acute pain when we handle him.
    I do not have access to a vet that will treat exotics. I do have Fish Mox 250mg on hand and I also have Baytril 10% scheduled for delivery in two days. I have been reluctant to administer antibiotics just yet.
    Will someone please advise me of when or if to start antibiotics? Which one? Dosing? And finally, the best way to administer antibiotics? So far I have been in the ‘wait and see’ mode but I don’t want to wait too long. Also I don’t want to treat him needlessly if this is just a seasonal phase. We know him well and we are very concerned.

Any advice is greatly appreciated
    Thank you

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Winston:

Chirps (03-12-2020), frankc (03-22-2020), RockyPops (03-11-2020)

Default Re: New here and need advice

I can't help you but others here can.

Keep checking back often for advice! Someone will help you!

Thank you for loving your baby!

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

Chirps (03-12-2020), frankc (03-22-2020), HRT4SQRLS (03-11-2020)

Head down posture typically indicates not feeling well. The vomiting is concerning because squirrels do not typically vomit.

Honestly, I’m not sure about the behavior or symptoms of being in rut to tell you if the discharge from his penis is normal.

Do you have any infant ibuprofen in case it’s recommended to dose him?

I’m sure someone will be able to give you more insight into his behavior. I’m sorry I couldn’t be more helpful.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chirps (03-12-2020), frankc (03-22-2020), RockyPops (03-12-2020)

I'd be inclined to err on the side of caution and treat for a uti with the
    Baytril when you receive it.

How is his teeth? Can he open a hard shelled nut without any problem?
    Head down, not feeling well / pain. Do you ever notice any tears in eyes
    when he's like this?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

No tears but he just doesn't seem as happy as normal. He does open pecans and almonds but I haven't given him any in a week or so because I have some shelled that I have been giving him. He tends to stash shelled nuts. He did turn up an almond that he has stashed and he didn't seem to have any trouble opening it. He's just so mopey right now and the vomiting has me very concerned. There are a lot of people who say squirrels can't vomit but I keep reading from people who have seen it. There's a thread right before this one with the same thing going on with the vomit.

10. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Winston:

Chirps (03-12-2020), Diggie's Friend (03-12-2020), frankc (03-22-2020), RockyPops (03-12-2020)

Th solid things in the urine are the remains of the wax plugs they insert into a female after mating to prevent a second squirrel from mating. The vomiting is a real issue since it has been going on so long.

Is he pooping?

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Also, can you tell us where you are located? State and perhaps a nearby town? We may have someone here on the board who knows a safe vet.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

frankc (03-22-2020), RockyPops (03-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    I'm sorry I haven't taken time to introduce myself but I may have a situation with a six year old male fox squirrel so I'll get right to the important stuff.

Stats: 6 year old male fox squirrel 1068 grams or 2.35 lbs.
    Indoor NR orphan hand raised since birth. Released twice but kept coming home injured/traumatized. This was over five years ago.
    Diet: Henry’s hazelnut blocks (2-3 per day), apples, pecans, almonds, avocado, pear, strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, lettuce (various varieties), rose petals, snap peas, banana, kiwi.

Any advice is greatly appreciated
    Thank you
    His diet needs a lot of tweaking.
    Way too many fruits and no good veggies, other than the various
    lettuces.
    Nuts should be given in very limited quantities.
    Here's a list to help.
    Feed group 1 and 2 freely and group 3 limited.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Here's another great link.
    Ideally we want to feed foods closest to the 2:1 balance of calcium and phosphorus.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...sphorus-Ratios

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Chirps (03-13-2020), frankc (03-22-2020), RockyPops (03-12-2020)

Thank you for the advice. Just to be clear on his diet...he doesn't get all those fruits all the time but rather when they are in season or available. I am going to pick up more green vegetables asap.
    He really has his head down today and his urine was dark this morning. I didn't see it come out but the mark on his white bedding was dark.
    I'm expecting the Baytril to arrive this afternoon. Should I get him started on this? Will you please suggest dosing?
    Thank you

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Winston:

Chirps (03-13-2020), frankc (03-22-2020), RockyPops (03-12-2020)

Thank you for the advice. Just to be clear on his diet...he doesn't get all those fruits all the time but rather when they are in season or available. I am going to pick up more green vegetables asap.
    He really has his head down today and his urine was dark this morning. I didn't see it come out but the mark on his white bedding was dark.
    I'm expecting the Baytril to arrive this afternoon. Should I get him started on this? Will you please suggest dosing?
    Thank you
    Dark urine is an indicaiton of dehydration. Is he drinking?
    You can get some watermelon which is really juicy, and
    see if he will eat that. Try putting a touch of honey is water and see if he will drink that.
    You have to make sure that when giving any drug that
    he stays well hydrated, these can be very hard on the kidneys.
    Also get a probiotic, as they can cause tummy uspet
    I use the capsules from CVS. Pull them apart and take the
    size of a capital O or a tad more, and mix that with some water
    and give. First try having him lick it off your hand. Some just
    take it plain because it has a sweetish taste.
    We would need a strength of the Baytril and the weight of
    your squirrel in grams in order to dose anything.

If you are suspecting UTI, I saw earlier that it was suggested
    to start the antibiotic, so we will go with that.

These are the probiotics I use:

20. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

4Puddles (03-12-2020), frankc (03-22-2020), RockyPops (03-12-2020)

The 'Baytril' is Enrofloxacin 10%, I was told this is the same. Is this true?
    I also have Fish Mox 250mg.
    I haven't given him either one yet without advice to do so.
    His weight is 1068 grams or 2.35 lbs. Weighed on a digital kitchen scale.

He typically does a good job of hydrating. He takes good long drinks from his bottle and bowl. Lately we have been giving him drinks from a shot-glass filled with crushed ice and water. I thing the ice just makes him more comfortable because it doesn't seem as deep so he drinks more readily when there's ice. We also give him whole ice cubes which he seems to enjoy like a kid with a Popsicle.
    Thank you

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Winston:

I just received the Enrofloxacin 10% Oral. The bottle says 1ml contains 100mg Enrofloxacin. Would someone please help me with dosing and the best way to administer. I will do the math also but I would like a 2nd opinion before administering.

He's a male fox squirrel at 1068 grams or 2.35 lbs.

Thank you in advance.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Winston:

I just received the Enrofloxacin 10% Oral. The bottle says 1ml contains 100mg Enrofloxacin. Would someone please help me with dosing and the best way to administer. I will do the math also but I would like a 2nd opinion before administering.

He's a male fox squirrel at 1068 grams or 2.35 lbs.

Thank you in advance.
    Sending you a pm now for dosing.

26. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

4Puddles (03-12-2020), frankc (03-22-2020), RockyPops (03-12-2020)

Is he still eating and pooping normally? I would be more worried about an intestinal blockage of some sort than a urinary tract infection. Normally, (at least in my experience) urinary tract infections do not cause vomiting. Like Nancy said, make sure to keep him as hydrated as possible! Dehydration is only going to make your poor guy feel even worse. Any chance he got into something he shouldn’t have (toxicity wise)? Maybe a house plant that he occasionally chews on or anything?
    “Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That's the problem.” -A.A Milne

28. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to 4Puddles:

frankc (03-22-2020), Nancy in New York (03-13-2020), RockyPops (03-12-2020)

Update; Our little guy is responding positively to the Baytril but I need a little more advice. Does anyone know of a link or a video of good administering technique? I tasted the Baytril so I know it's not horrible but he fights it. I don't like stressing him over it. Right now one of us holds him on our shoulder (like burping a baby) so that he is head-up and comfortable (but gripped tightly). He seems very comfortable in this position and does not real seem stressed at the sight of the syringe but the instant it touches his mouth he fights and goes crazy. He'll let us put our finger in his mouth but the syringe is off limits. He's getting most of his dose but I don't like fighting him because I'm concerned about the stress that we are possibly inflicting. Any links, tips or magical advice are appreciated.
    Thank you

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Winston from:

frankc (03-22-2020)

Once you draw the correct amount of meds in the syringe, wet the tip and roll it in table sugar and then stuff it in his mouth. It will be the first thing he tastes.

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

frankc (03-22-2020)

I'm really struggling getting the oral Baytril into my 6 year old male. I'm delivering .2 ml from a small 1 ml syringe. The problem is he's not having it. As soon as the syringe touches his lips he goes nuts. I have been restraining him but he is fighting vigorously and I believe this physically wears him down and stresses him. I've tried honey on the tip of the syringe but he's still rejecting it. I've tasted the Baytril myself and it has very little flavor (to me) although I realize a squirrels flavor pallet is different than ours. Here's my latest questions: 1) Can it put a needle on the syringe and inject his dose into a small piece of watermelon then feed it to him? 2) If injecting watermelon; should I increase the volume of the dose a little bit to make up for spillage or leakage while he's eating it?
    Thank you

34. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Winston:

frankc (03-22-2020), RockyPops (03-18-2020)

Update: I just want to thank everyone who helped out. Our little squirrel-man is rebounding and has not vomited in a week. He's also got a spring in his step and is very playful and happy. All of your help and knowledge is greatly appreciated.

36. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Winston:

Chirps (03-21-2020), CritterMom (03-21-2020), frankc (03-22-2020), Nancy in New York (03-21-2020), RockyPops (03-21-2020)