Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vomiting

Default Vomiting

Hey everyone,
    It's been a long time and I hope that you are all well.

My little one (Trooper-Marie) has suddenly gotten sick (6 year old Eastern Grey). I noticed that her face was a bit wet when I got home from work, I took her out of her room and let her wander around for a bit and gave her a piece of banana, a few almonds, and some fresh water. A few moments after she drank, she started vomiting for a few minutes. It was mostly water and the banana. Seemed a tad slimy. I could tell that something was off as she was having a hard time jumping or moving. She is still active, running, climbing, eating, drinking, and pooping, though her balance is off a bit.

I Just got her into her smaller cage with fresh bedding, towels, and a bowl of water. She drank and ate a bit more after that episode and seems to be keeping it down. Shes tucked herself up and is now currently sleeping.

Her diet hasn't really changed over the last 6 years, though I'm wondering if she could have eaten something that spoiled that she hid. I'm wondering if her calcium levels are off. She hasn't been on blocks in quite a few years.

She has been getting a bit skinnier since last summer, but she hasn't been eating a lot of fatty foods or nuts as much. She's also become a bit picky on foods.

I'm just about to go pickup some fresh avocado, grapes, mushrooms, and beans, all her favorites.

I'm hoping that this could is just a stomach bug or something. I'm quite worried and stressed out. I've been her vet ever since we moved to Canada. I have no where that I can take her.
    I'm going to rule out blockage as she is defecating. I sill have Clavaseptin, but I believe they are expired (07/01/18). I heard that they are good for longer if kept in a dark place which they have been. I just don't know if it's worth the risk.

Please help...

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Silverline from:

RockyPops (03-11-2020)

Default Re: Vomiting

Thank you so much for loving your baby girl!

I can't advise you but I'm sure you know that several on here can. So...

KEEP CHECKING BACK OFTEN!

I sure hope she gets better!

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

Silverline (03-12-2020)

Update:
    A couple of hours ago I gave her a strawberry, apple slice, avocado slice, broccoli, and a mushroom. She ate the apple and avocado first. After she ate those, she was very determined to jump on my shoulder and was looking distressed. She then started dry heaving for a few moments. a tiny amount of avocado came up, but not like her first episodes where she puked up everything everywhere.
    After that spell, she climbed off of me and ran around the room for a few moments. She still looked a bit distressed, but when I got her back in her cage she proceeded to eat the rest of her food, drank water, and has kept everything down so far.
    She seems to have a very big appetite (Though I'm not spoiling her too much right now). She has been sleeping most of the evening, but she also seems to want to be active when she wakes up. When I bring her something or open her cage, she immediately wants out so I let her climb on me for a few moments for cuddles. She's clearly not happy but loves the cuddles and it calms her down. Her balance is off still, though I think it's because her stomach is still bothering her and she was weak from the episodes.
    She is pooping but I haven't noticed any pee yet, though that's harder to spot.
    I put her to bed for the night in the family room where my family can help me keep an eye on her in the morning.
    During those events, I was recording her (eating, dry heaving, eating again, then sleeping). If these would help, I can upload them.

I'm hoping that she will feel better in the morning after a good night sleep, but I'm still very concerned for her hydration, pain, and overall health.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (I'm hoping that Nancy, SammysMom, SquirrelGirl, or anyone else that's helped her in the past are still around. It's been so long since I've been on here last.)

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Silverline:

Chirps (03-12-2020), RockyPops (03-12-2020)

I'll be following this closely as I care fore a 6 year old male that is vomiting also. So many experts say that squirrels don't vomit but I have seen it and read about it.
    I do have a suggestion for monitoring your girl's urine. Put down some fresh white paper in her cage. I use blank newsprint. You can also put white sheets, pillow cases or towels in her sleeping area. This will help you see what she's doing. Inspect, change, and wash them often.

Good luck

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Winston:

Chirps (03-12-2020), RockyPops (03-12-2020), Silverline (03-12-2020)

The old timers are all still here. I remember your baby.

This has only been going on for one day, right? It does sound as though she may have eaten something bad. You really do need to police her stashes on a regular (daily) basis so this doesn't occur again. would offer her fluids - you can even add a bit of sugar or honey to it to make it taste better and induce her to drink. Hopefully sleeping will help her out.

She really should be eating blocks - and I know you know that. Are you giving her any sort of additional calcium to counter her not eating them?

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (03-12-2020), RockyPops (03-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    The old timers are all still here. I remember your baby.

This has only been going on for one day, right? It does sound as though she may have eaten something bad. You really do need to police her stashes on a regular (daily) basis so this doesn't occur again. would offer her fluids - you can even add a bit of sugar or honey to it to make it taste better and induce her to drink. Hopefully sleeping will help her out.

She really should be eating blocks - and I know you know that. Are you giving her any sort of additional calcium to counter her not eating them?
    Hello CritterMom. Great to talk to you again. Hope all is well.

Yes, this has only been 1 day so far, and now this morning. She has been on a consistent diet of fruits, veggies, and nuts. I took her off the blocks because she would never eat them.

Update for this morning:
    I gave her a small mushroom and an apple slice. She proceeded to vomit while she was eating, she then proceeded to eat the rest of it right after. She's also been drinking her water, and she is peeing and pooping.
    She is still weak and has a hard time keeping balance through her back legs, though I still believe it's because her tummy is quite upset. She is back in her bed now sleeping and doesn't really want to move all too much, though I did wake her up and she was groggy.

I've taken some more videos that I will upload momentarily. I'm hoping this will pass soon. She's had an indecent like this a few years ago (2015 or 16).
    I really hope this was just something that she ate and will naturally recover.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Silverline from:

RockyPops (03-12-2020)

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Silverline:

Diggie's Friend (03-18-2020), RockyPops (03-12-2020)

I'm no expert!

But it looks like she has a couple of issues going on.

Her wonky legs looks like MBD. She probably needs back on her blocks and calcium administered now. And/or joint pain from aging maybe. And maybe pain med.

She looks like she's having trouble chewing her food. Have you checked her teeth? That could be causing the vomiting. Kinda looks like she's choking on her food that isn't chewed up good.

Someone else will chime in but the MBD treatment wouldn't hurt anything to go ahead with.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

CritterMom (03-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RockyPops View Post
    I'm no expert!

But it looks like she has a couple of issues going on.

Her wonky legs looks like MBD. She probably needs back on her blocks and calcium administered now. And/or joint pain from aging maybe. And maybe pain med.

She looks like she's having trouble chewing her food. Have you checked her teeth? That could be causing the vomiting. Kinda looks like she's choking on her food that isn't chewed up good.

Someone else will chime in but the MBD treatment wouldn't hurt anything to go ahead with.
    I agree, I think she needs to get Calcium of some sort in her. however I don't have the recipe to make her blocks any more, or what ingredients where used. I live in Canada now so I need to resort to making them myself, or something equivalent. It's very difficult to make her eat the blocks, the official ones, or home made.

I don't know if it would be MDB though, as the vomiting and the weakness all came on suddenly at once, unless MDB has vomiting as a symptom. But I'm not an expert either and I'm definitely not opposed to calcium treatments.

She's not having any difficulties chewing and her teeth are fine. She was also not choking, they were for sure heaves. After she was heaving she had some regurgitated food in her mouth. She was more smacking her lips and trying to get what ever she regurgitated out of her mouth. She drank water after that and continued eating the rest of her food just fine, which she has managed to keep down thus far.

Thanks for your insight insight though. MDB is on my radar.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Silverline from:

RockyPops (03-12-2020)

If you could get some tums (unflavored if possible) and scrape powder off onto an avocado or wet pecan halve that would be a start. Until someone can give advice.

Can you get the HHB Picky Bites or Wild Bites. See if she would eat them.

When I said check teeth I meant her molars (I guess) that she grinds with not her front teeth. You probably know this but I'm just throwing stuff out.

Someone else will chime in.

I just tried feeding her avocado again, she keeps heaving up what ever I'm feeding her. Not all of it though. She had a big pee just now too.
    She's very weak and starting to shake.
    This is now an emergency.
    I have no where to take her. Where is everyone on here? I really need some solid medical advice.
    Please!

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Silverline from:

RockyPops (03-12-2020)

You aren't giving her access to the skin or pit of the avocado, are you?

If I were you I would start treating for MBD now, since you cannot start yesterday. Tums is good. Eggshells are made from calcium carbonate. To make eggshell calcium, dump the contents out of several eggs, and boil the shells for 5 minutes. Then shake off the water and place them on a sheet in a 200 degree oven for 20 minutes or so until the shells are bone dry. Grind as finely as you are capable. 1/2 tsp + about 1000mg of calcium.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Diggie's Friend (03-12-2020)

You aren't giving her access to the skin or pit of the avocado, are you?

If I were you I would start treating for MBD now, since you cannot start yesterday. Tums is good. Eggshells are made from calcium carbonate. To make eggshell calcium, dump the contents out of several eggs, and boil the shells for 5 minutes. Then shake off the water and place them on a sheet in a 200 degree oven for 20 minutes or so until the shells are bone dry. Grind as finely as you are capable. 1/2 tsp + about 1000mg of calcium.
    Thank you I will try this. How many eggs are recommended? would there be any type of calcium supplement in a store that I could use as an alternative?
    And yes, No pits or skins.

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Silverline:

Diggie's Friend (03-12-2020), RockyPops (03-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Silverline View Post
    Thank you I will try this. How many eggs are recommended? would there be any type of calcium supplement in a store that I could use as an alternative?
    And yes, No pits or skins.
    Also, should I mash this up in with an avocado in a bowl? or what would be the best way to get this into her system?

Thanks.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Silverline from:

RockyPops (03-12-2020)

It doesn't matter how many eggs. The daily dose of the calcium (spread out through the day) will be about a rounded 1/4 teaspoon, and you can sprinkle it or mix it with ANYTHING she likes. One single egg would last you DAYS.

Any calcium supplement without vitamin D added is fine. But 99% have vitamin D in them as they are people, not squirrels. This is why we recommend Tums. It is calcium carbonate and some flavoring and the stuff they use so it will stick together in a pill. No vit D.

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

RockyPops (03-12-2020)

It doesn't matter how many eggs. The daily dose of the calcium (spread out through the day) will be about a rounded 1/4 teaspoon, and you can sprinkle it or mix it with ANYTHING she likes. One single egg would last you DAYS.

Any calcium supplement without vitamin D added is fine. But 99% have vitamin D in them as they are people, not squirrels. This is why we recommend Tums. It is calcium carbonate and some flavoring and the stuff they use so it will stick together in a pill. No vit D.
    I got the eggs in the oven now and I'm about to head to the store to get tums. Does it matter if it's flavored? Would the dose of tums be the same as the eggs?

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Silverline from:

RockyPops (03-12-2020)

Hi.

There is also a possible issue from feeding whole nuts in the shell, for in the shell they can harbor fungus that produces alfa-toxins that damage the liver which also are known to lead to the development of cancer. Better that you know then than not about this issue. Too prevent and counter this issue, it is vital to support with Milk Thistle Seed extract, and Pycnogenol, as both have been found to support the liver by preventing and treating alfa-toxin exposure.

https://www.amazon.com/Oregons-Wild-.../dp/B00J9MKEUG

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLYNA14/ref=dp_cerb_1

Increasing Calcium daily in the diet of your 6-year-old Fox squirrel, is also merited; for since as rodents age their kidneys retain more and more phosphorus, and absorb less and less calcium. This causes the actual (Ca:P) ratio of the diet in the body to lower which takes its toll on the kidneys and the bones also. With any block you feed this will be the case. HHB has the best ratio of (Ca:P), yet even with this ratio at 6 years of age the (Ca:P) ratio it once supported at 2 years of age in the body has gotten closer.

Calcium citrate has been found in rats to lend support and longevity to the function of the kidneys (calcium carbonate was not found to lend support to the same).

I can send you an approx. measure to better support the metabolic and bone health of your grey squirrel for Calcium Citrate.

https://purebulk.com/products/calcium-citrate-usa

Mini measuring spoons for use with the above minerals and for foods also daily.

https://www.amazon.com/GUSENG-Stainl...garden&sr=1-10
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 05-06-2022 at 10:23 AM.

33. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

RockyPops (03-12-2020)

I also recommend this source of soil based pre-probiotics which lends significant support to both digestion and reduction of calcium lowering anti nutrients in the diet.

https://www.amazon.com/Vitality-Scie...sr=1-2-catcorr

All these sources have been included in a research based diet for gray squirrels cared for in captivity, with excellent results.You can send me a PM and I will send you the info for the measures for the calcium citrate to add to the yogurt. This way, your squirrel can still get the calcium and magnesium in the diet they need to balance the diet when not eating the block.
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 03-12-2020 at 06:27 PM.

35. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

RockyPops (03-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Silverline View Post
    I got the eggs in the oven now and I'm about to head to the store to get tums. Does it matter if it's flavored? Would the dose of tums be the same as the eggs?
    Actually, the taste can help. Avoid peppermint - go for one of the fruit flavors. And get the tablets, not gummies or any of the other new whiz bang types! When you get it, turn the bottle and read the back label. It will tell you how much elemental calcium is in each pill. Aim to get 500mg PER day into her for the first few days of treatment. You want to spread it out through the day, not give it all at once.

Here is a link to our MBD protocol: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...dated-3-31-09)

37. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

RockyPops (03-12-2020)

In using the MBD treatment, since your squirrel is older, Calcium citrate will lend protection to your squirrels kidneys in this situation.
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 05-07-2022 at 05:07 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast