Thread: Two baby squirrels in Austin - home/caretaker needed

Default Two baby squirrels in Austin - home/caretaker needed

Hello all!

So I haven't posted in years, ever since the two squirrels I raised were finally sent to a great forum member for their adult life.

But today the squirrels found me again; my friend had a nest fall with two little squirrels. Without knowing what to do, they placed the two (seemingly fine/ healthy squirrels) in a towel with the nest exactly where it fell and watched them from inside. They said there was activity from some older squirrels but no real motions towards taking them (plus they now had no nest to take them too).
    Once I got here just as tj6e sun was sitting I have transferred them into box with a fleece blanket and brought them inside figuring warmth and safety was the way to go at this point.
    I went and bought the smallest oral syringe I could find (30 ccs, still way to big but emergency) and some pedialyte. About to start warming it up and see if they want fluids. Their skin snaps back fairly quickly so I won't force it on them. If I must make the formula with goats milk/ yogurt tomorrow I will do so.

So this leads me to the current predicament; I am unable to care got two squirrels again. I have no problem keeping them safe and alive for a while, but cannot keep them indefinitely.
    Are there any AUSTIN or central TEXAS members who would take them?
    I know of a location here in town that may, and one in Houston that I trust and I can get them there.
    However from my previous experiences if a knowledgeable and willing board member would want to and be willing I'd prefer that option.

Any and all help is appreciated, also with my immediate care if I need to adjust as its been a while since I've done this.

Attached are pics of the two little squirrels; since it's Austin and their appearance im thinking they are fox squirrels. Feel free to respond via this thread or email.

Thanks for any help!

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to hapyschizo:

frankc (03-08-2020), RockyPops (03-08-2020)

Default Re: Two baby squirrels in Austin - home/caretaker needed

Pic
    Attached Images Attached Images  

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to hapyschizo:

Update: administering pedialyte, the first one is receptive. However, there are tiny bugs or mites or ants on them.
    Cleaning them off as best as I can as I transferred them to a fleece blanket.
    They seem very healthy however

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to hapyschizo:

Quote Originally Posted by hapyschizo View Post
    Update: administering pedialyte, the first one is receptive. However, there are tiny bugs or mites or ants on them.
    Cleaning them off as best as I can as I transferred them to a fleece blanket.
    They seem very healthy however

A bath is Dawn dish soap (the original blue) can help with the creepy crawlies, but bee sure to dry them well and keep them warm until they are completely dry.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Bless you for caring enough to help these little guys!

Can they be housed with an eastern grey female? She is about 6 and a half weeks old.
    I am in Houston...