Thread: Nuggets bloodwork results! What now?

Default Nuggets bloodwork results! What now?

Hello everyone!

I wanted to take the time out to introduce myself! I am a licensed wildlife rehabber going on now for 6 years. I have soft released over 100 squirrels during that time span here in New York City! During this time, I came across my Nugget.

Nugget was found by a good samaritan who saw kids throwing sticks and rocks at her. She called me and I immediately took Nuggie into my care. At the time she was 4 weeks old and was checked out by a vet who said she appeared healthy. As weeks went on, she started having a head tilt and would circle from time to time. I brought her to see a veterinarian where she was diagnosed as neuro.

Fast forward to now, Nugget is 9 years old and has been by my side! She is perfect to me! She still does have a head tilt which has stayed the same, aswell as her circling, but she doesnt let that stop her! As she climbs up in age, I worry about her overall health.(during her heat cycles she get creamy like d.c from her vulva) I recently brought her to my job,(I am a licensed Vet Tech) sedated her and took blood and radiographs. Her radiographs show no stones in the bladder, along with normal amount of fecal matter throughout the colon.
    I sent out a comprehensive mammalian profile and received those results. I have a reference range to go off of thanks to Diggie! However, I also wanted to post her results here and possibly compare/discuss bloodwork & diet with others in the group who have done the same. (Bloodwork is after her diet). Any tips and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Ps: sorry for the lack if pictures, I am not as computer savvy as I thought. I tried to upload going off of other threads explaining, but I was still unsuccessful

Her current diet consists of

1 henry block (decreased from 2 a day)
    4-5 snap peas
    Butternut squash
    1 leaf of radicchio
    1 blueberry
    2 endive leafs
    1 piece of broccoli or cauliflower
    Quarter size piece of parsnip

******* * Nuggie Results******* Reference Range
    WBC:*************** 9.8**************************** 1.3-8.9
    RBC:**************** 6.8***************************** 5.3-11
    HGB:*************** 13.9*************************** 10.9-18.9
    HCT:**************** 45***************************** 33.8-59
    MCV:*************** 65****************************** 45.7-63.9
    MCH:*************** 20.4*************************** 15-21
    MCHC:************* 31****************************** 27.2-37.9
    Platlet Ct:********* 664**************************** 0-709
    Neutrophils:****** 4,410
    Lymphocytes:**** 4,998
    Monocytes:******* 98****************************** 22-510
    Eosinophils:****** 294**************************** 21-624
    Total Protein:**** 5.2***************************** 3.9-7.8
    Albumin:********** 2.4***************************** 2.1-5
    Globulin:********** 2.8****************************** 0.1-4.5
    AST:**************** 11****************************** 6-121
    ALT:***************** 2******************************** 2-37
    Alk Phos.:******** 225**************************** 81-1021
    Bun:**************** 15****************************** 6.7-62.8
    Creatinine:****** 0.8****************************** 0.1-1.2
    Phosphorus:**** 3.3****************************** 2.1-13.7
    Glucose:********* 163******************************* 38-421
    Calcium:********* 7.8******************************* 6.7-10.5
    Sodium:********** 153****************************** 138-162
    Potassium:****** 4*********************************** 1.8-6.6
    Chloride:********* 120******************************* 102-127
    Cholesterol****** 139******************************** 93-256
    Creatine Kinase1,123**************************0-1,111

*the only reference range I do not have for is for neutrophils and lymphocytes- still currently researching.

2. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to NuggieLove:

Diggie's Friend (03-06-2020), frankc (03-03-2020), RockyPops (03-03-2020), SammysMom (03-03-2020), TubeDriver (03-07-2020)

Default Re: Nuggets bloodwork results! What now?

WBC is just a little bit higher than the range if I read correctly. Is she exhibiting symptoms of issues?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

frankc (03-03-2020), RockyPops (03-03-2020)

Hello! Thanks for responding!! The only abrnomal thing she has been showing is cream like discharge from her vulva. I notice a decent build up when she sleeps overnight and wakes up in the morning to urinate. Other than that, she doesnt exhibit anything else that is worrisome. However, I also did the bloodwork to make sure i didnt need to supplement her with anything such as calcium, which appears to be on the low end of the reference, so i may start supplementing that. For the vulva discharge part i have been supplementing with cranberry powder and lowfat organic yogurt. I am just hoping this is related to her being in heat?

6. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to NuggieLove:

Chirps (03-04-2020), Diggie's Friend (03-06-2020), frankc (03-07-2020), RockyPops (03-04-2020)

Middle age to older rodents are more prone to infections is due to the progressively lowering of their ability to absorb Calcium and other nutrients as rodents age (established knowledge from rat research and veterinary science). If calcium isn't raised progressively over the lifetime of the rodent, then the in body Ca:P will lower to where it is close to equal or even becomes inverted. This lends to the development of Metabolic acidosis that promotes the development of (diabetes, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, kidney stones, cardiovacular disease, disease and ultimately kidney failure. (see article below)

vetspace.2ndchance.info

IAdjusting the whole diet Ca:P ratio to (2.7: 1) can be done by adding to the amount of calcium in 1 Block a day to total 2.7 times the noted amount of phosphorus in 1 Block daily.

Using Calcium Citrate, that was found to improve kidney function, not Calcium carbonate that does not improve kidney function. The latter being known to promote kidney stone (calcium oxalate) formation in rodents whose diets that are equal to inverted in Calcium to Phosphorus.

Which version of Henry's do you feed? I will get back to you presently with the recommendation for the amount of Calcium Citrate to add to the diet to bring it up to a more supportive ratio.

You should also add Magnesium (citrate), as this form of magnesium inhibits stone formation and supports greater amount of calcium going into the the bone. Both these sources of Calcium citrate and Magnesium citrate have been used as the main sources in my research squirrel diet.

https://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Calc.../dp/B000UYA1T6

To determine the amount of magnesium supplemented in the diet, add (1/64 Tsp). of Magnesium citrate from Frontier Naturals, raising it every three days by the same amount in addition to the base amount, till loose stool occurs. Then backing down by 1/32 Tsp. where the stool should firm up in one to two days. This is what will lend good support to a healthy ratio of Calcium to Magnesium in the diet.

https://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Calc.../dp/B000UYA1T6
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 03-07-2020 at 08:31 AM.

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Chirps (03-07-2020), frankc (03-07-2020), Snicker Bar (03-07-2020)

Recommend boiling the florets and snap peas a minimum of 15 min. ; blanching the leafy greens 90 sec. ; and baking the winter squash. This predigests greens and veggies that makes the nutrients they contain, including calcium, more available to be utilized by the body, than they are when these sources are consumed raw. It also supports a significant reduction of the oxalates (calcium lowering anti-nutrients) that they contain, while also killing bad bacteria and worms that may be on these plant foods. In addition, boiling lowers the pH. of the highly alkaline pH. plant foods to neutral, which lends needed support towards maintaining a healthy mean urine pH., which is key to preventing calcium loss into the urine and bloodstream, which otherwise lends to the formation of urinary calculi that promotes a diseased state.

https://www.amazon.com/Ninasill-Stai...rocery&sr=8-16

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

References:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...85253815498308

http://www.2ndchance.info/ratkidney.htm

Pycnogenol supports reducing Candida (fungal) infection.

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Pycnogenol supports reducing Candida (fungal) infection. Give 1/8th to 1/4th portion of capsule powder daily in 1/2 Tsp. of plain organic yogurt.

https://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Origi.../dp/B00CLYNAUA

Add a tiny droplet of this extract to each of 2 portions of plain organic lowfat yogurt fed daily.

https://www.amazon.com/Simply-Organi...y%2C196&sr=1-7

Add Calcium citrate and Magnesium citrate measures to yogurt, spiit fed AM and PM daily

14. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Chirps (03-07-2020), frankc (03-07-2020), RockyPops (03-06-2020), Snicker Bar (03-07-2020)

From Merck Veterinary Manual:

(During heats) "Bacteria from the normal vaginal flora or subclinical urinary tract infections are the most likely sources of uterine contamination. Escherichia coli is the most common bacterium isolated in cases of pyometra, although Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, Pseudomonas, Proteus spp, and other bacteria also have been recovered.".

For these cases, AB should be used with Pre/Probiotics concurrently with the AB and continued after the AB treatment has been completed to replenish the gut with good bacteria.

https://healthfully.com/best-probiot...a-6202213.html

Using AB to combat Candida fungal infection alone is not recommended, as ABs destroy good bacteria that counters Candida fungal infections, which in turns promotes their return and furthering weakening of the immunes system, of which over 70 % of is located in the gut. Instead, the use of Symbiotics (Prebiotics pairied with Probiotics) are the most effective way to combat Candida as not to damage to the good gut (digestive bacteria).

As fore mentioned, the use of Pycnogenol, a natural antifungal, anti inflammatory and analgesic nutraceutical, lends support to countering Candida Albicans, but also works to counter both bacterial and viral infections.

That discharge is Candida, that can present in females during their heat, resulting in vaginitis. If not concurrently treating with both AB for bacterial infections and Pre-probiotics, these infections can become cyclical, causing Candida flare ups to reoccur.

As I shared prior, gently expelling it when it begins to dry up and clog the orifice is needful. from having

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    From Merck Veterinary Manual:

(During heats) "Bacteria from the normal vaginal flora or subclinical urinary tract infections are the most likely sources of uterine contamination. Escherichia coli is the most common bacterium isolated in cases of pyometra, although Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, Pseudomonas, Proteus spp, and other bacteria also have been recovered.".

For these cases, AB should be used with Pre/Probiotics concurrently with the AB and continued after the AB treatment has been completed to replenish the gut with good bacteria.

https://healthfully.com/best-probiot...a-6202213.html

Using AB to combat Candida fungal infection alone is not recommended, as ABs destroy good bacteria that counters Candida fungal infections, which in turns promotes their return and furthering weakening of the immunes system, of which over 70 % of is located in the gut. Instead, the use of Symbiotics (Prebiotics pairied with Probiotics) are the most effective way to combat Candida as not to damage to the good gut (digestive bacteria).

As fore mentioned, the use of Pycnogenol, a natural antifungal, anti inflammatory and analgesic nutraceutical, lends support to countering Candida Albicans, but also works to counter both bacterial and viral infections.

That discharge is Candida, that can present in females during their heat, resulting in vaginitis. If not concurrently treating with both AB for bacterial infections and Pre-probiotics, these infections can become cyclical, causing Candida flare ups to reoccur.

As I shared prior, gently expelling it when it begins to dry up and clog the orifice is needful. from having
    Excellent Post !! Thank You
    Squirrels Do Matter

If you Were Lucky Enough To Have Loved and Taken Care Of A Squirrel Then
    You Showed Him Or Her More Love Than They Would Have Ever Known In The Wild
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Member Of WRAM ( Wildlife Rehabbers association Massachusetts)

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to frankc from:

Diggie's Friend (03-07-2020)

As for calculi forming (calcium stones in the urine and bloodstream) this is what occurs when the pH. of the diet is too high or too low.

Change in urine pH – Urine is normally acidic. However, if it gets too acidic there is a possibility of calcium oxalate crystal formation. If it gets too alkaline, calcium phosphate crystals will most likely develop.
    https://emedicalhub.com/crystals-in-urine/

Calcium oxalate crystals can also form with Struvite stones that promoted by repeated UTI infections.

File with graphics to determine if weight is optimal for rodents. (See pg. 3)
    Attached Images Attached Images