Thread: Rehaber in Houston Texas

Default Rehaber in Houston Texas

Rehaber needed 2/23/2020 this evening I found a pink baby squirrel on my patio. It has apparently fallen from a nest above in my palm tree. I have relocated the baby inside for now on a wash cloth on a low heating pad. Once it warmed up it’s moving more and breathing well. I did try to administer some water from a syringe but not much luck. I would try to relocate back outside but it’s due to rain badly tomorrow.
    Any suggestions are gladly welcomed.

Default Re: Rehaber in Houston Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Keeping pickie warm and hydrated is crucial to its survival. These babies cannot maintain body temperature at this age, and will shut down quickly without a heat source when put outside this time of year. Keep a lookout for the mom and have a warm fleece to wrap up the pinkie up in t0 put it out in a shoe box just in case she shows up looking for it.

Give the TWRC a call; they have a squirrel rehab group in the Houston area.

Thank you! I have the baby on a cloth on a low temp heating pad. Tried to give some water but didn’t really like it. Will try again.

Reuniting is always the best first choice. Mom may come even in the rain, so watch for her. She will take the baby even after you’ve handled it, as long as it’s warm.

I’ve reached out to a member in Texas to take a look at your thread to see if she can help point you to the right folks, if reuniting isn’t possible.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Diggie's Friend (02-24-2020), RockyPops (02-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Keeping pickie warm and hydrated is crucial to its survival. These babies cannot maintain body temperature at this age, and will shut down quickly without a heat source when put outside this time of year. Keep a lookout for the mom and have a warm fleece to wrap up the pinkie up in t0 put it out in a shoe box just in case she shows up looking for it.

Give the TWRC a call; they have a squirrel rehab group in the Houston area.
    How is the baby this morning. Please don't call TWRC for a pinky. I have some contacts in the Houston area and can ask for if they know someone.

6. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to PennyCash:

HRT4SQRLS (02-24-2020), Mel1959 (02-24-2020), Nancy in New York (02-24-2020), RockyPops (02-24-2020), stepnstone (02-24-2020)

Pedialyte for a day for the baby.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

RockyPops (02-24-2020)

I personally have known a lead rehabber in the TWRC living in Houston; they go the distance to support the pinkies.

There is no time to loose trying to find a rehabber for a pinkie.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

RockyPops (02-24-2020)

I have rehabbers in houston. I have messaged and emailed the finder. Just waiting for a response.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

12. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

Diggie's Friend (02-24-2020), Mel1959 (02-24-2020), Nancy in New York (02-24-2020), PennyCash (02-24-2020), RockyPops (02-24-2020), stepnstone (02-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by PennyCash View Post
    How is the baby this morning. Please don't call TWRC for a pinky. I have some contacts in the Houston area and can ask for if they know someone.
    Hi! I am in Houston. Near medical center downtown. My cat brought in an injured squirrel today. I have it in a cage. With food, water, and blanket. It is adult sized. I don’t know how to care for it. Please help or advice!

Quote Originally Posted by stuartm View Post
    Hi! I am in Houston. Near medical center downtown. My cat brought in an injured squirrel today. I have it in a cage. With food, water, and blanket. It is adult sized. I don’t know how to care for it. Please help or advice!
    BUMP!!!
    Hi StuartM:
    I am Bumping this back in view for others!
    How is your Squirrel doing? What is the nature of the injuries? I'm sorry that you have not had a response yet! Some of our members and Admins have lists of recommended Rehabbers that have helped other member in the past.

Here is the list of Licensed Rehabbers in Texas from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD); https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/rehab/list/

Do NOT contact the TPWD or any Government agency as no matter what they may say, they will confiscate your Squirrel and either euthanize it or simply let it loose to live food for predators! Yes, this happens! Hopefully, other on The Squirrel Board will have suggestions as to local Rehabbers! In the mean time, please call some Rehabbers on the Texas List (arranged by County) and do NOT give them your full name or address (at least right off) and ask them specifically is they Rehab Squirrels and if so, describe the condition and injuries of your Squirrel and answer other specific questions they might have. Then, ask them directly if they intend to actually Rehabilitate this Squirrel and then release it or if they will euthanize it. It's a matter of trust! Again, I hope some of our members know of Rehabbers in the Houston area and can help you find an appropriate and safe facility or individual!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

Diggie's Friend (11-14-2023)