Thread: Prolapsed uterus?

Default Prolapsed uterus?

This is Clipper. She has lived close by and fed in my back yard since she was out of her nest. She is three this spring. She has always been a very strong, dominant squirrel - very healthy. In I believe September she presented with some part of her body sticking out....I wasn't sure if it was her bowel or her uterus. I guess I still can't say definitively but I don't know how she could have survived this long if it was her bowel. Amazingly she was still very normal acting until about 3 weeks ago. The prolapse has gotten noticeably larger and she started to be less like herself. The last few days she is sharply declining. I love her. I am struggling watching her. I have reached out to everyone I can her - I live in MN. There really are no vets that will treat wildlife except for The Wildlife Rehab Center but they would only euthanize her. Can anyone tell me if they have seen this before? Does anyone know of someone who would help her if I could net her? I believe endings matter and I don't want to traumatize her if there is no help available but I am willing to do whatever I need to if someone thinks she could be helped. I don't expect I will see her more than the next day or so as she seems very tired and is losing her edge.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to rottwlr2:

Chirps (03-01-2020), Mialouise (02-23-2020), RockyPops (02-23-2020)

Default Re: Prolapsed uterus?

Poor baby!

I don't have a clue but someone will. Keep checking back here.

Meanwhile, in case she needs to be captured, you could be thinking about a cage, a trap or net to catch her with. And a plan for her once she's captured.

Thank you for trying to help her.

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

Chirps (03-01-2020), frankc (02-23-2020), Mialouise (02-23-2020), rottwlr2 (02-23-2020)

I agree. She needs to be captured. A closer examination is a must in order to be able to tell just what it is. It could be a possible tumor or as you said a prolapse. The one thing for sure if it is not fixed the out come will be tragic
    If she is getting lethargic and weak then it's just a matter of shot time. If you can capture her and keep her safe and help her along I am sure someone on here can find you a safe vet if you are willing to travel with her.
    This is heart breaking.
    Squirrels Do Matter

If you Were Lucky Enough To Have Loved and Taken Care Of A Squirrel Then
    You Showed Him Or Her More Love Than They Would Have Ever Known In The Wild
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Member Of WRAM ( Wildlife Rehabbers association Massachusetts)

6. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to frankc:

Chirps (03-01-2020), Diggie's Friend (02-23-2020), Mialouise (02-23-2020), RockyPops (02-23-2020), rottwlr2 (02-23-2020)

I am willing to travel with her. I am sure she is very close to shutting down completely, however, she is still eating which is important and shows she is still fighting. She is slower but still aware. I have a net and cage ready - they have been ready for a few days. I know from past experience that catching any squirrel that is still alive is never easy. I will not traumatize her and then miss her. I have learned that lesson from past squirrels in my yard that are sick. I am biding my time and hoping I can find her a vet who will treat her.

8. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to rottwlr2:

Chirps (03-01-2020), frankc (02-23-2020), island rehabber (02-23-2020), Mialouise (02-23-2020), RockyPops (02-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    I agree. She needs to be captured. A closer examination is a must in order to be able to tell just what it is. It could be a possible tumor or as you said a prolapse. The one thing for sure if it is not fixed the out come will be tragic
    If she is getting lethargic and weak then it's just a matter of shot time. If you can capture her and keep her safe and help her along I am sure someone on here can find you a safe vet if you are willing to travel with her.
    This is heart breaking.
    Wow this is a medical emergency. I would get her in ASAP. She does need .to be seen by a vet as you know.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

10. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Chirps (03-01-2020), frankc (02-23-2020), Mialouise (02-23-2020), RockyPops (02-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by rottwlr2 View Post
    I am willing to travel with her. I am sure she is very close to shutting down completely, however, she is still eating which is important and shows she is still fighting. She is slower but still aware. I have a net and cage ready - they have been ready for a few days. I know from past experience that catching any squirrel that is still alive is never easy. I will not traumatize her and then miss her. I have learned that lesson from past squirrels in my yard that are sick. I am biding my time and hoping I can find her a vet who will treat her.
    Thank You. Capture ASAP, once you have her let the board know. Since you will travel with her I am sure a safe vet can be found. Many miracles have been performed here on the board.
    Squirrels Do Matter

If you Were Lucky Enough To Have Loved and Taken Care Of A Squirrel Then
    You Showed Him Or Her More Love Than They Would Have Ever Known In The Wild
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Member Of WRAM ( Wildlife Rehabbers association Massachusetts)

12. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to frankc:

Chirps (03-01-2020), Mialouise (02-23-2020), RockyPops (02-23-2020), rottwlr2 (02-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    Thank You. Capture ASAP, once you have her let the board know. Since you will travel with her I am sure a safe vet can be found. Many miracles have been performed here on the board.
    I am really hoping to have someone see the photos and share them with a vet who can at least take a guess at whether this could be resolved by spaying her or if there is likely nothing that can be done. If a professional opinion is that this isn't resolvable with surgery then I don't want to catch her. She has lived three fierce years as a queen and like I said, endings matter. Having a great life with a crappy, terrifying ending when not necessary just isn't right and I won't do that to her. I understand I am asking a lot but if I can't get help finding a vet who feels she is treatable than she has the right to die in the wild as hard as that is for me to bear witness to.

14. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to rottwlr2:

Chirps (03-01-2020), frankc (02-24-2020), Mialouise (02-23-2020), RockyPops (02-23-2020)

Endings do matter...
    If not repaired or treatable gangrene will set in.
    Suffering should not be an option!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

16. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Chirps (03-01-2020), frankc (02-24-2020), Mialouise (02-23-2020), RockyPops (02-23-2020), rottwlr2 (02-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Endings do matter...
    If not repaired or treatable gangrene will set in.
    Suffering should not be an option!
    Good news here. I was just contacted by a vet who was recommended by a rehabber here as an option to try. I sent the pictures to a few days ago. She had never written back so I assumed she was a no go. She agreed it was a prolapse and is willing to treat her if I can catch her and bring her in. She will not be easy to catch - I hope I can do it soon.

I agree, suffering should never be an option. The suffering in the world depresses me on a daily basis - especially when it comes to animals of any kind. I have been vegan for over 9 years as a result.

I have stayed home and waited on Clipper (and many of my other sick/injured backyard squirrels, birds, etc over the years) every day since she has declined to make sure she has food, water and some pain meds when she arrives. I have been biding my time to catch her but netting a squirrel is very hard to do and I could injure her, cause her prolapse to tear, if I chase her all around. Then if I miss her she will be traumatized and have lactic acid build up which will just worsen her condition. Just because she needs help doesn't mean I am able to catch her. I am doing my very best to help her.

18. 9 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to rottwlr2:

Chirps (03-01-2020), frankc (02-24-2020), HRT4SQRLS (02-23-2020), kathy291 (02-23-2020), lukaslolamaus (02-23-2020), Mialouise (02-23-2020), Nancy in New York (02-24-2020), RockyPops (02-23-2020), stepnstone (02-23-2020)

Do you have access to a trap? If you could lure her in and then cover her trap and all with a towel etc. if may not be too traumatizing.

They are hard to catch in a net when they are outside close to trees. Inside you can do it but outside may be tough. Unless she is compromised and slowed by her condition.

A squirrel sized trap is not terribly expensive.

20. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

Chirps (03-01-2020), frankc (02-24-2020), Mialouise (02-23-2020), rottwlr2 (02-23-2020)

Thank you for helping her. I can only imagine your heartache and worry. Finding the vet is a blessing! I'm sending positive thoughts your way that you will catch her easily and Clipper will get the help she needs to make a full recovery and continue her reign as Queen of the yard .

22. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mialouise:

Chirps (03-01-2020), frankc (02-24-2020), RockyPops (02-24-2020), rottwlr2 (02-23-2020)

Thank you all for your support. I do have a Havahart trap but I find that only healthy squirrels go into them - at least in my yard. I have a net that has worked well in the past and if you can surprise the squirrel it is relatively non-traumatic as far as any trapping goes because it is soft, quick and then they are in the cage. I hate being here. I hate seeing her every day suffering. The vet here isn't perfect - based on some exchanges we have had tonight - but I have been told she is competent and at the very least she could euthanize if treatment is likely unsuccessful. This is the LAST thing I want but I also know this condition will not improve on its own and she will only continue to decline. I will post updates. Please, send positive energy her way.

24. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to rottwlr2:

AnaMM (02-24-2020), Chirps (03-01-2020), frankc (02-24-2020), RockyPops (02-24-2020), stepnstone (02-24-2020)

Positive energy sent to Clipper and you. Good luck also being sent for a safe capture.

26. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chirps (03-01-2020), frankc (02-24-2020), Mialouise (02-24-2020), RockyPops (02-24-2020), rottwlr2 (02-24-2020)

Just seeing this now. Also praying for a good outcome. I see it's been a few days. I hope we hear from you soon, good or bad, rottwlr2.

28. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

frankc (03-02-2020), Mialouise (03-01-2020), RockyPops (03-01-2020)