Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General questions for potential pregnant female flyer(s)

Default General questions for potential pregnant female flyer(s)

I've caught all the flyers living in the walls (apparently two females, one male) so I suspect before it's warm enough to buy them luggage and send them on their way, we'll have babies. Given a mixed population, what should I be feeding them to bring a successful pregnancy should that particular situation happen?

I'm trying to make sure they get both enough calcium and protein in their diet but I'm new to this squirrel thing.

I've made several nesting boxes and tried them all out but the most popular is (believe it or not) an empty kitchen trash bag box.

I'm wiping out their cage and surfaces with Lysol wipes followed by tap water every day.

The current diet:

Fortified rat/mouse/gerbil mix fortified with calcium (no corn, sunflower seeds, millet seeds, veggie pellets)
    Chicken (cooked) - they love it, steak too!
    I gave them various veggies which they promptly threw at me.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to retiredinsaline:

Chirps (02-25-2020), RockyPops (02-24-2020)

Default Re: General questions for potential pregnant female flyer(s)

"I gave them various veggies which they promptly threw at me."

Don't take any guff. They need their veggies - some fruit too but not too much. Mine started by eating almost all the broccoli, mushrooms, kale, and sugar snap peas in the pods that I gave them. Broccoli has fallen out of favor (smart squirrels) and mushrooms are now a "Meh." I'll try some Shiitake mushrooms to see if that goes over any better. Kale and sugar snap peas continue to be a hit.

You wrote that you think you have two females and one male. How did you get close enough to tell?

Jamie

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TomahawkFlyers from:

Chirps (02-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TomahawkFlyers View Post
    "I gave them various veggies which they promptly threw at me."

Don't take any guff. They need their veggies - some fruit too but not too much. Mine started by eating almost all the broccoli, mushrooms, kale, and sugar snap peas in the pods that I gave them. Broccoli has fallen out of favor (smart squirrels) and mushrooms are now a "Meh." I'll try some Shiitake mushrooms to see if that goes over any better. Kale and sugar snap peas continue to be a hit.

You wrote that you think you have two females and one male. How did you get close enough to tell?

Jamie
    Climbing on the cage about 3 inches from my snout, two of them have no pee-pee. I like to think I can uh...recognize the difference at this point in my life.

They go up and down and all around the cage all night long. And as it turns out, after two days of quiet, another one is skittering around in the wall, so the trap is back out with the squirrelcam back in operation.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to retiredinsaline:

Chirps (02-25-2020), RockyPops (02-21-2020)

Mine are friendly enough, but entirely wild in habit. They no longer head for the hills when I am around, but they do make themselves scarce if I try to get close enough to see such things. For their own sakes, while my heart wants to befriend them, my brain tells me that the more they see me as a predator/something to steer clear of, the better chance there is that they won't become complacent and easy targets when they're released.

After the initial rush, ours trickled in until we hit 18. We wonder how many are really in your colony. 10? 15?? 20???

Jamie and Pam

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TomahawkFlyers:

Chirps (02-25-2020), RockyPops (02-21-2020)

Well, the wife caught them in the act last night so now I have more questions:

Do I need to remove the female to her own cage?
    Will the males be okay around the babies?
    What sort of material should I use for the nest. Currently using packing paper and tissue paper.

Off topic, I have a large piece of cardboard (corrugated box) around two sides and cut a square in the side at the top of the cage to watch them. All 3 line up in the opening and watch us at night. Horribly cute.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to retiredinsaline:

"Off topic, I have a large piece of cardboard (corrugated box) around two sides and cut a square in the side at the top of the cage to watch them. All 3 line up in the opening and watch us at night. Horribly cute."

They're sizing you up for dinner. "I want a drumstick!" "Now, now, there's enough of everything for everyone." "When the time is right, peek through the hole and look cute. The members of the colony who haven't been trapped will take care of the rest. Just don't look once it starts - you'll get daymares."

Sorry - day off. Nothing to occupy my mind.

Jamie

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TomahawkFlyers:

"Off topic, I have a large piece of cardboard (corrugated box) around two sides and cut a square in the side at the top of the cage to watch them. All 3 line up in the opening and watch us at night. Horribly cute."

They're sizing you up for dinner. "I want a drumstick!" "Now, now, there's enough of everything for everyone." "When the time is right, peek through the hole and look cute. The members of the colony who haven't been trapped will take care of the rest. Just don't look once it starts - you'll get daymares."

Sorry - day off. Nothing to occupy my mind.

Jamie
    That's funny Jamie, was thinking the same thing. And they fly across the cage and bang there they are.
    set up a second nesting box. I'll post pics.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to retiredinsaline:

Got this lead from HRT4SQRLS:

https://www.amazon.com/SunGrow-Cocon...en&sr=1-1&th=1

Sleeps 2-3?

Jamie

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TomahawkFlyers:

Got this lead from HRT4SQRLS:

https://www.amazon.com/SunGrow-Cocon...en&sr=1-1&th=1

Sleeps 2-3?

Jamie
    "sorry we couldn't fine that page"

The really super nice box I made them with the cute round hole in the end that they promptly threw around in disgust, I took that one and put a weight on the top to keep them from moving it, filled it with paper towel strips and volia' mom moved in a half hour later.

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to retiredinsaline:

Chirps (02-25-2020), RockyPops (02-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by retiredinsaline View Post
    "sorry we couldn't fine that page"

The really super nice box I made them with the cute round hole in the end that they promptly threw around in disgust, I took that one and put a weight on the top to keep them from moving it, filled it with paper towel strips and volia' mom moved in a half hour later.
    Oops - try this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Jamie

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TomahawkFlyers from:

Chirps (02-25-2020)

I am having so much fun following your discussions about your little friends.

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

retiredinsaline (02-25-2020), Snicker Bar (02-29-2020)

"Adventure Hut?" She says no thanks, had enough "adventures" thank you.
    And guess when she's due? That's right on my birthday, the day I retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    I am having so much fun following your discussions about your little friends.
    I think is OK to speak for both of us ... We’re having fun too! Thanks for your nice note.

"Adventure Hut?" She says no thanks, had enough "adventures" thank you.
    And guess when she's due? That's right on my birthday, the day I retire.
    Well that’s a bummer. When family members share a birthday or when a birthday falls on or near one of the big holidays, everyone seems to get a smaller gift. Selflessly speaking.

Well that’s a bummer. When family members share a birthday or when a birthday falls on or near one of the big holidays, everyone seems to get a smaller gift. Selflessly speaking.
    Actual conversation:

ME: She's due on my birthday. Go figure.
    WIFE: Good, now I don't have to get you anything.

Now all three of them are in the nesting box. I've also noticed something I see in the wild - they're not active every single day. They were super active until the night of the "event" wherein they haven't been out for three nights.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to retiredinsaline from:

RockyPops (02-27-2020)

So this morning I'm checking on their activities by looking in the little window in the carboard and there's this skittering sound on the cardboard and a little head appears and reaches through the bars. That right there is called cute. And the cats are fuming because they've been outcuted so now it's "dad, dad look, look at me dad!" while they're rolling on their backs.

29. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to retiredinsaline:

Chirps (02-28-2020), Mel1959 (02-27-2020), RockyPops (02-27-2020)

That Adventure Hut showed up today. Holy Moley! I hung it up at 2:30, walked past at 3 and already there was a face in the opening enjoying the swinging back and forth. That's 3 p.m. - full daylight. Since dusk it has been mobbed. At times they seem to be checking to see how many can fit in at one time. 20 minutes ago Chewy destroyed the hanging rope it came with and it dropped to the bottom of the cage. Everyone is OK. I went down and rehung it with wire and everyone is back at it as if nothing had happened.

Best $7.xx I've spent on these guys so far. C'mon! Get your kids a hut!

Three nights with no activity? As in they slept for 72 hours straight? Hmmm ... I hope they're OK. Maybe they're sneaking out after you go to bed and coming back in through their bedroom window before you wake up? You don't know what kind of parenting they had before you came along ...

Jamie

31. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TomahawkFlyers:

Chirps (02-28-2020), Mel1959 (02-28-2020), RockyPops (02-28-2020)

That Adventure Hut showed up today. Holy Moley! I hung it up at 2:30, walked past at 3 and already there was a face in the opening enjoying the swinging back and forth. That's 3 p.m. - full daylight. Since dusk it has been mobbed. At times they seem to be checking to see how many can fit in at one time. 20 minutes ago Chewy destroyed the hanging rope it came with and it dropped to the bottom of the cage. Everyone is OK. I went down and rehung it with wire and everyone is back at it as if nothing had happened.

Best $7.xx I've spent on these guys so far. C'mon! Get your kids a hut!

Three nights with no activity? As in they slept for 72 hours straight? Hmmm ... I hope they're OK. Maybe they're sneaking out after you go to bed and coming back in through their bedroom window before you wake up? You don't know what kind of parenting they had before you came along ...

Jamie
    Well Jamie, I've noticed over the years that your normal squirrels have a few days at a time where they don't do a lot of activity and this seems the same. They drank all the water and chicken but weren't running around like idiots. Last night they were up to the usual antics so I suspect they were either having a baby shower or picking out paint for the nursery.

I have noticed that Rocket J Squirrel and Rocket P Squirrel are more active than Rocket S Squirrel, the apparent mother to be. Of course she can't get a moment of peace and quiet because after moving into her very own nesting box, the other two nitwits pulled all of the material out of the other box, stuffed it in hers and moved in with her. Unbelievable. I think the cats are a bad influence on them.

I think you have very cool squirrels.

34. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TomahawkFlyers from:

retiredinsaline (02-28-2020)

Well Jamie, I've noticed over the years that your normal squirrels have a few days at a time where they don't do a lot of activity and this seems the same. They drank all the water and chicken but weren't running around like idiots. Last night they were up to the usual antics so I suspect they were either having a baby shower or picking out paint for the nursery.

I have noticed that Rocket J Squirrel and Rocket P Squirrel are more active than Rocket S Squirrel, the apparent mother to be. Of course she can't get a moment of peace and quiet because after moving into her very own nesting box, the other two nitwits pulled all of the material out of the other box, stuffed it in hers and moved in with her. Unbelievable. I think the cats are a bad influence on them.
    Not to worry... I’m pretty sure when she is ready to deliver she will send them packing, very aggressively.

36. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

retiredinsaline (02-28-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast