Thread: Teeth trimming

Post Teeth trimming

Hi Everyone, I was wondering if anyone can locate me a vet or rehabber to trim Andys teeth? I live in Romeoville, Il and I am having great difficulty trying to find someone to asses his teeth and determine if they need to be trimmed.... I don't want to take Andy anywhere that they may take him from me. I would absolutely go nuts.. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you TSB members.

AndysMom Cathy

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Andylove1 from:

RockyPops (02-21-2020)

Default Re: Teeth trimming

Cathy, keep checking back here, someone may be able to help you.

Thanks for loving your baby!

Andy have a backstory?

How old is he?

How did he come to you?

What seems to be his "teeth" problem. Can you get a closeup of his teeth?

We love pictures of little fuzzbutts too!

The only wildlife rehabber I know of is in Herrick, IL which is over 3 hrs away from you. I have a vets name that came from a TSB post that is located a little more than an hour away at the Indiana/Illinois border. I don’t know anything about the hospital, but you could call and see it they can help and if the vet is still there. Check to be sure they’re safe prior to going in. The hospital name is Arbor View Animal Hospital, Dr. Janice Bell, 219-762-7267.

Maybe someone else will have another recommendation also. Please keep us posted.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

RockyPops (02-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RockyPops View Post
    Cathy, keep checking back here, someone may be able to help you.

Thanks for loving your baby!

Andy have a backstory?

How old is he?

How did he come to you?

What seems to be his "teeth" problem. Can you get a closeup of his teeth?

We love pictures of little fuzzbutts too!
    Hi RockyPops,

Andy came to me by accident as my dog separated him from his momma. I tried to leave him out for her to come back for him but she never did. Andy being my first squirrel rescue ever, I had to save him as he was no more than 3" long and he was a late season baby and then orphaned. I myself being an animal lover knew he needed me, and still is here in my home, and he has his own room. I just Love him. I'm not sure if his teeth are a problem yet, but knowing that they continually grow I wanted to find someone to assess his and if needed, trim them. Andy is quite squirrelly and getting a pic of his teeth would be very difficult for me.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Andylove1 from:

RockyPops (02-22-2020)

He may need an in-shell nut for a treat every now and then as a treat (after his healthy stuff) to help wear them down.

And a cuddle bone and/or a piece of deer antler helps with this as well as providing a source of calcium. They are available at most pet stores.

Sticks from safe trees in your yard is a good gnawing tool as well. Oak, apple, maple etc. They usually love them.

it's been a couple years but there was a discussion on what type of tool was best for "cutting" a tooth that was too long. My advice is to use a cutter that is sharp and will not CRUSH the tooth before it is cut like a blunt wire cutter might do. My advice is a Klein
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/KLEIN-TOOLS...EAAOSw2Xddt2nn
    This is a small but sharp edged cutter that I believe will cut without crushing the tooth. One discussion was about using a Dremel to grind down the teeth.... but an UNSEDATED squirrel will not be able to control just from the noise alone and the grinding action would either injure the squirrel or you when it tries to escape.
    Their are cheaper types of tools but go with USA made and higher quality and the price really isn't high. Hope this helps!!!!
    And I should add... don't cut too far back... like trimming a cat's claws.. too far back and you hit a blood vein.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to EdgeNut:

Nancy in New York (02-22-2020), RockyPops (02-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RockyPops View Post
    He may need an in-shell nut for a treat every now and then as a treat (after his healthy stuff) to help wear them down.

And a cuddle bone and/or a piece of deer antler helps with this as well as providing a source of calcium. They are available at most pet stores.

Sticks from safe trees in your yard is a good gnawing tool as well. Oak, apple, maple etc. They usually love them.
    Hi Rocky,
    Thank you for responding, I actually have all the items mentioned, including giving him 1- in-shell pecan or Walnut or even a hazelnut a day. Yes, Andy is spoiled and loved. And his room in my house he occupies looks like a jungle, I have Large tree branches set up for him to fly/run/chew on. So I figured he would knaw his teeth down himself. Not to say he has a problem yet, I just don't wanna wait till there is and I myself would not feel comfortable cutting his teeth not knowing how or even when? I'm not a rehabber, just an animal lover. In my time I have rescued many and have found people and places that will treat wildlife, but not squirrels, truly makes me sad. I just want Andy to get the proper care.