Thread: Preparing for spring release

Default Preparing for spring release

As spring approaches, I find myself worried about Jasper's adjustment, my own, and the whole release process. He has been with me since Labor Day of 2019 when he was brought in by my Dad's cat. I estimated that he was four weeks old at that point. I have kept him inside since then, caring for him as suggested by people on this forum, which I greatly appreciate.

I am currently away for a long weekend and Jasper reportedly really dislikes the two people I have going in and caring for him and my other pets. My local rehab friend has suggested that this would be a good time to "cut the apron strings" - remove his fleece pouch that he loves to sleep in so he'll be forced to sleep in the wooden squirrel house that's in his cage, and to stop all handling of him, which would include his daily hour playtime out of the cage.

My head is telling me that this would be wise, but my heart loves this little guy so much and knows how much he enjoys his playtime. He knows that he can play rough with me when I have my gloves on and to be gentle when I don't. He gets excited to see me when I get home from work and just like a dog, he jumps around and rolls himself up in my old fleece sweatshirt that's in his cage. For a little Eastern Gray Squirrel, he sure does have a big personality.

Please share your opinions with me on this pre-soft-release period. I live in Western NY, so spring is still likely three months away.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Leslie Ann from:

RockyPops (02-18-2020)

Default Re: Preparing for spring release

Jasper is so precious!

I completely understand your apprehension. Not likely he will 'take" to anyone else but you. They tend to like only one person. And your it.

He will probably be fine when you get back. And then you can start his soft release at the proper time.

Default Re: Preparing for spring release

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Ann View Post
    As spring approaches, I find myself worried about Jasper's adjustment, my own, and the whole release process. He has been with me since Labor Day of 2019 when he was brought in by my Dad's cat. I estimated that he was four weeks old at that point. I have kept him inside since then, caring for him as suggested by people on this forum, which I greatly appreciate.

I am currently away for a long weekend and Jasper reportedly really dislikes the two people I have going in and caring for him and my other pets. My local rehab friend has suggested that this would be a good time to "cut the apron strings" - remove his fleece pouch that he loves to sleep in so he'll be forced to sleep in the wooden squirrel house that's in his cage, and to stop all handling of him, which would include his daily hour playtime out of the cage.

My head is telling me that this would be wise, but my heart loves this little guy so much and knows how much he enjoys his playtime. He knows that he can play rough with me when I have my gloves on and to be gentle when I don't. He gets excited to see me when I get home from work and just like a dog, he jumps around and rolls himself up in my old fleece sweatshirt that's in his cage. For a little Eastern Gray Squirrel, he sure does have a big personality.

Please share your opinions with me on this pre-soft-release period. I live in Western NY, so spring is still likely three months away.
    It is not unusual for a squirrel to resent others over another caretaker, factually it's pretty normal.
    Your "disappearance" has likely caused confusion, stress, along with added resentment.
    His attitude will likely get better when you return or he just may take a few days to punish you...
    that's pretty normal too.

Wait until spring when the trees are full...
    The actual proper soft release outdoors is where their old life/world changes as they absorb and wild up to their
    new life in their new world. Three months "pre" soft release caged without interaction and activity is unnecessary,
    wrong, and would be totally unfair to him IMO.
    I'm assuming this is a singleton...
    I believe activity and stimulation is especially important with singletons who do not have the advantage of siblings
    to interact with.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Grinderhead (02-18-2020), Nancy in New York (02-19-2020), RockyPops (02-18-2020)