Thread: Feeding nuts

Wishbone Guest

Default Feeding nuts

Squirrel is out on his own, released at 5 months. He hangs out nearby. I feed him nuts throughout the day, he buries most of them. I read you should only give 2 or 3 nuts a day. So what happens if a squirrel eats too many nuts? I also provide one or two picky blocks a day, sometimes he buries those too. He gets veggies and fruits in the morning, he'll eat some of it. He's a brat, I think I spoiled him.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Wishbone from:

RockyPops (02-18-2020)

Default Re: Feeding nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
    Squirrel is out on his own, released at 5 months. He hangs out nearby. I feed him nuts throughout the day, he buries most of them. I read you should only give 2 or 3 nuts a day. So what happens if a squirrel eats too many nuts? I also provide one or two picky blocks a day, sometimes he buries those too. He gets veggies and fruits in the morning, he'll eat some of it. He's a brat, I think I spoiled him.
    The issue is more with captive squirrels, who are able to eat only what we provide. Your guy is also foraging for wild food.

May I suggest that you give him the blocks very first thing - before he gets any other food. They are usually pretty hungry in the morning. That way he will likely eat instead of burying them and they do a lot more good in the squirrel than in the ground! Once he has consumed those, he can start getting his greens and goodies.

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

frankc (02-18-2020), RockyPops (02-18-2020)

Wishbone Guest

Thanks. Will feed the picky block in the morning. The veggies and fruit after.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Wishbone from:

RockyPops (02-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    The issue is more with captive squirrels, who are able to eat only what we provide. Your guy is also foraging for wild food.

May I suggest that you give him the blocks very first thing - before he gets any other food. They are usually pretty hungry in the morning. That way he will likely eat instead of burying them and they do a lot more good in the squirrel than in the ground! Once he has consumed those, he can start getting his greens and goodies.
    Hi CritterMom! I was wondering what too many nuts will do to a captive squirrel. I have one I just took in. She is about 9/10 mo old and she was only fed mixed nuts and veggies. I can't get her to touch anything but the nuts. Also, her vulva is swollen. No drainage but she's dragging herself across everything and dribble urine and so I'm worried its a UTI from her former diet.

THANK YOU!!

Are you saying she eats no rodent block? This is a concern for a captive squirrel. Too many nuts upset the calcium to phosphorous balance in a squirrels body. Nuts, seeds and corn are very high in phosphorous. When these foods are fed in abundance it upsets the balance and the squirrels body tries to compensate by pulling calcium from the bones to get the calcium to phosphorous balance back. This creates a condition called Metabolic Bone Disease. The first signs of MBD are rear end paralysis and lethargy. If MBD isn’t treated with consistent daily calcium doses it is fatal.

Rodent block like what can be purchased from Henrys Pets online or other hard extruded rodent block from pet stores or online provide the necessary nutrients, including calcium, that a captive squirrel needs. It can take many months of daily calcium treatments to counteract the debilitation of MBD. It’s for this reason that block should be the first thing offered and ensured is being eaten when a young squirrel weans itself from formula.

Your girl having a swollen vulva and dragging herself could be due to estrus but it could also be a UTI. See what antibiotics you can locate. Someone on here can tell you how to break it down and dose but they will need the name of the drug, the strength and your squirrels weight.

I seriously suggest you stop all nuts (tough love) and get your squirrel on some type of rodent block. Henry’s Picky Eater or Hazelnut blocks are well liked. They are packed with nutrients so you only need to give 2 per day along with healthy veggies and limited fruits. Nuts are to be given occasionally as a treat.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (11-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Are you saying she eats no rodent block? This is a concern for a captive squirrel. Too many nuts upset the calcium to phosphorous balance in a squirrels body. Nuts, seeds and corn are very high in phosphorous. When these foods are fed in abundance it upsets the balance and the squirrels body tries to compensate by pulling calcium from the bones to get the calcium to phosphorous balance back. This creates a condition called Metabolic Bone Disease. The first signs of MBD are rear end paralysis and lethargy. If MBD isn’t treated with consistent daily calcium doses it is fatal.

Rodent block like what can be purchased from Henrys Pets online or other hard extruded rodent block from pet stores or online provide the necessary nutrients, including calcium, that a captive squirrel needs. It can take many months of daily calcium treatments to counteract the debilitation of MBD. It’s for this reason that block should be the first thing offered and ensured is being eaten when a young squirrel weans itself from formula.

Your girl having a swollen vulva and dragging herself could be due to estrus but it could also be a UTI. See what antibiotics you can locate. Someone on here can tell you how to break it down and dose but they will need the name of the drug, the strength and your squirrels weight.

I seriously suggest you stop all nuts (tough love) and get your squirrel on some type of rodent block. Henry’s Picky Eater or Hazelnut blocks are well liked. They are packed with nutrients so you only need to give 2 per day along with healthy veggies and limited fruits. Nuts are to be given occasionally as a treat.
    I'm so sorry, I should have explained. I don't feed her just nuts. That's what she has been getting at the home she was previously in. I'm told she was offered every choice of henrys blocks made and Hope wouldn't eat them. So gave her lots of veggies off of the Henrys food triangle, but when she wouldn't eat she would give in and give her nuts bc she was afraid she wasn't eating enough.

For the last few weeks she's actually lost a little weight bc I only give her a small blueberry and a nut each evening. I too offer her blocks first which she nibbles on here and there. Same thing with the veggies. I also add calcium to her water. She's not lethargic (she's has endless energy) so I know she's feeling great.

Are antibiotics safe even if she doesn't have a UTI? Also, which do you know which drugs I should look for? I know you can break down human antibiotics but I can't remember which. I haven't ever had to treat a single squirrel with antibiotics before (Thank GOD) so I don't have a list handy. Even tho I should :/

Thank you so much for helping!

Nibbling on veggies, block and eating a blueberry and nuts isn’t gonna cut it. She will not stay well with that diet. You can’t give in and give ANY NUTS! What you’re doing is essentially the same as giving a toddler a meal with broccoli and even though they nibbled it you still offer ice cream and candy! This is where the tough love comes in.

A squirrel won’t starve itself if there are healthy foods and block to eat. I’m not saying that it will happen immediately, but I feel she will definitely come around. I don’t think I’d take someone else’s word on her not eating the block. Buy a bag of picky eater blocks, store them in the freezer and offer her 1/2 block first thing in the morning. You can warm it slightly to release the aroma. After some time offer her a variety of veggies. Kale, arugula and radicchio are favorites. You may have to try a variety of veggies to see what she’ll eat. But do try them, just give a small amount so you aren’t wasting a ton.

I like to buy the pre-made salad kits that come with dressing and toppings. I use the dressing and toppings but the veggies are a variety and already cut up, that she can pick and choose from. Broccoli slaw is another alternative along this same line.

You can also buy an inexpensive block like Envigo Harlan Teklad 2014 (online), grind it to a powder and mix it with veggie/fruit baby food, a few ground nuts, coconut oil and make it into boo balls. There are recipes in the nutrition section. I make these for my wild squirrels and they eat them before they get any nuts, so they can’t taste too horrible.

You can’t offer ANY NUTS OR FRUITS until she’s eating block and veggies. Stay firm!

Is this squirrel releasable? How old is she?

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

sundoesshine (11-18-2021)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.