Thread: Shedding

Default Shedding

Hey yall just looking for suggestions on shedding. My boy is still recovering from MBD. He still gets a little calcium in some boost about once a month or more if I feel hes not getting enough in his diet. I put a full spectrum uvb light on him every day for a couple of hours. I noticed he is shedding. Not horrifically but just wondering if theres something else I need to do or is it normal. He eats 2 picky blocks in the AM, then throughout the day dried cherries, sweet potato, pumpkin, dehydrated apples & another picky block in the evening with another snack like blue berries or black berries.

Suggestions?

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Hilbillygirl:

frankc (01-25-2020), RockyPops (01-24-2020)

Default Re: Shedding

Hey HillBillyGirl, Thanks for taking care of your baby!

Keep checking back here and someone will have ideas.

Got any pics? How bout a name?

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

frankc (01-25-2020)

to TSB.

The diet you listed is very high in sugar. Is this all your guy eats? If so, he needs some leafy greens like baby kale, endive, escarole, radicchio, arugula, romaine, watercress, bok choy added to his diet. Also good for them is broccoli, cauliflower and hard squashes like acorn and butternut instead of sweet potato all the time. Mushrooms are an excellent source of vitamin D which helps them assimilate the calcium. The Henrys block is great, but a varied diet is essential for a captive squirrel to get the nutrients it needs.

Dried out marrow bones, clean sea shells and antlers are also good sources of natural calcium and help trim the teeth as well.

Your boy may be shedding a winter coat or molting. Hair loss can also be associated with a poor diet. Can you post a picture of your boy?

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

frankc (01-25-2020), RockyPops (01-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RockyPops View Post
    Hey HillBillyGirl, Thanks for taking care of your baby!

Keep checking back here and someone will have ideas.

Got any pics? How bout a name?
    Name is Squeebles, Name:  C4F07D71-D7D8-481F-AF13-D855BDBA0A2F.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  543.1 KB

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Hilbillygirl:

frankc (01-25-2020), Nancy in New York (01-26-2020), RockyPops (01-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    to TSB.

The diet you listed is very high in sugar. Is this all your guy eats? If so, he needs some leafy greens like baby kale, endive, escarole, radicchio, arugula, romaine, watercress, bok choy added to his diet. Also good for them is broccoli, cauliflower and hard squashes like acorn and butternut instead of sweet potato all the time. Mushrooms are an excellent source of vitamin D which helps them assimilate the calcium. The Henrys block is great, but a varied diet is essential for a captive squirrel to get the nutrients it needs.

Dried out marrow bones, clean sea shells and antlers are also good sources of natural calcium and help trim the teeth as well.

Your boy may be shedding a winter coat or molting. Hair loss can also be associated with a poor diet. Can you post a picture of your boy?

Out of your list I have tried everything and all he will eat out of that list is the acorn & butternut squash. I only posted some of what he eats. He also eats carrots, raw pumpkin & avocado and once in a great while a slice of cucumber. He seems to really like the pumpkins & squashes a lot and the sweet potato. I dont give any one of them every day and alternate them. I have even tried cabbage, brussles sprouts, romaine lettuce, parsnips, jicama, cherry tomatoes, chick peas, hominy, kiwi, water melon.The list is endless. Hes a very picky eater, go figure.
    I will not stop looking for things he likes but I try to stick with the list someone here sent me a link for.
    Thank you so much for your response. I will not refuse any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Hilbillygirl:

frankc (01-25-2020), RockyPops (01-25-2020)

Squibbles is a handsome young man. Thanks for the pics!

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

frankc (01-26-2020)

Can you post a picture of the hair loss?

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

RockyPops (01-26-2020)