Thread: Preliminary formula information from the Caseys

Default Preliminary formula information from the Caseys

Here is a link to ewildagain.org and the Casey's formula study. FAQs about the formula issues have been added and also a link to a spreadsheet of different batches of a variety of formulas to compare.
    Spreadsheet: http://www.ewildagain.org/labtestdata.html
    FAQs:
    http://www.ewildagain.org/faqs.html

On their site, you will also find a formula calculator that you can use to compare and combine different formulas. What Shirley Casey advised during our interview was think "mothers' milk" first and next think "blend". Not relying upon a single formula prevents missing any nutrition that it is lacking as well as hedging bets for a better outcome if changes occur in any one product. Very important is a note on the calculator cautioning not to go above 65% to 75% of the solids in mothers' milk. Her solids are always digestible. Ours tend to be what cause a lack of digestibility.
    It is VERY interesting to plug in the formulas. I become quite enthralled and lose track of time...
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

2. 8 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

Chickenlegs (01-22-2020), Chirps (01-28-2020), farm mom (02-05-2020), frankc (01-28-2020), HRT4SQRLS (01-29-2020), Nancy in New York (01-23-2020), RockyPops (01-22-2020), whisperer (01-23-2020)

Default Re: Preliminary formula information from the Caseys

I am purely reporting what I have learned from the Caseys. I have not done any research but they have done thousands of tests that will allow us to make informed choices by using our own critical thinking.*
    The following is the information gathered through research, by the Caseys.

1) Mother's milk, our nutritional goal. The Caseys used data averages from tests that have been done in other studies on actual squirrel milk.
    2) Get as close as possible, but keep the solids to 65% to 75% of what mother's milk is. Her milk solids are always digestible and those that we are able to use are often what cause babies to be unable to digest our formulas.
    3) Formula is far more than a protein/fat ratio. It is a balance of many vitamins and minerals that are needed for proper growth and development.*
    4) The Caseys are both rehabbers (predominantly squirrels) and researchers. Their information is built on more science than I could ever begin to imagine knowing. They have found through their research, that there are some changes in our formula mixing that will also help to ensure it is as nutritious and digestible as possible. These may seem like a nuisance, but if they make for healthier babies, the changes can become as natural to us as our current ones are. Also a time saver is the fact that formula is good in the refrigerator for up to 72 hours so can be made ahead in larger quantities.

Mixing Changes

a) Using weights rather than measures is a more accurate method. If you think about the consistencies of fv and of esbilac powders, you know that a tablespoon of each would not weigh the same. I will be weighing out formula into containers that I store in the freezer/fridge to save time when making up formula. Weight equivalents are in the formula calculator. I will post them here in the near future also.

b) Water must be hot and be put into the container before adding formula powder.

c) Formula powder should be at room temperature before adding to hot water. Measure out what you need and put out a little while before mixing. Once added to water, give a minute for it to begin to sink before whisking.

d) Mix each formula powder with hot water separately because they rehydrate at different rates. Let sit overnight (or for whatever 8 hours you usually do) and then they can be combined and stored in fridge. (or frozen in freezer if more than three days worth is made.)
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

farm mom (02-05-2020), HRT4SQRLS (01-29-2020), Nancy in New York (01-29-2020), RockyPops (01-29-2020)