Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nose keep bleeding every time sneeze

Default Nose keep bleeding every time sneeze

Hi

I don’t know if it’s consider emergency or not. Sorry if i has post in the wrong place

This morning my squirrel, Bobo, somehow yank out her two upper teeth. Now she keep making a sneezing sound and blood will come out. Been like this for four hours already. I took her to a vet but she isn’t a squirrel expertise. The vet just give her an anti inflammatory shot. She give me some antibiotics and anti inflammatory medicine. She don’t know how to stop BoBo from nose bleeding.

Can anyone help me please?

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TG715 from:

RockyPops (01-22-2020)

Default Re: Nose keep bleeding every time sneeze

Your vet prescribed appropriately. It will take a few days for the bleeding to stop completely. I am so sorry to hear about your squirrels accident. Just watch her.

We would love to see a picture of your sweetheart. We don’t get a chance to see squirrels from Bangkok often, what do you feed her?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

frankc (01-22-2020), RockyPops (01-22-2020), TG715 (01-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Your vet prescribed appropriately. It will take a few days for the bleeding to stop completely. I am so sorry to hear about your squirrels accident. Just watch her.

We would love to see a picture of your sweetheart. We don’t get a chance to see squirrels from Bangkok often, what do you feed her?
    Hi Redwuff

Thanks for replying. So it’s normal for her to keep bleeding out of her nose right now? It isn’t bleeding a lot . Just every time she sneeze, there is blood coming out. I just feed her some cerelac and yogurt since she can’t bite anymore

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TG715:

frankc (01-22-2020), RockyPops (01-22-2020)

I went back and read your other threads. Were you able to get anything to help sedate your girl? Another drug you might see if you can get your hands on is gabapentin/nuerontin. Nuerontin is prescribed a lot for pain issues for people. Here in the states, vets use it for sedation for animals that are tough to handle.

How is Bobo and your wife getting along?

You will see a lot of tissue swelling which will cause Bobo to snuffle breath for a few days. The bleeding should gradually slow down within a few days. What kind of anti inflammatory did your vet prescribe?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

frankc (01-22-2020), Mel1959 (01-22-2020), RockyPops (01-22-2020), TG715 (01-22-2020)

The photos in dark background is her condition now. Her nose look a little swollen. Should I be giving her other medicine? It’s her nose bleeding nonstop that is making me worry.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TG715:

I went back and read your other threads. Were you able to get anything to help sedate your girl? Another drug you might see if you can get your hands on is gabapentin/nuerontin. Nuerontin is prescribed a lot for pain issues for people. Here in the states, vets use it for sedation for animals that are tough to handle.

How is Bobo and your wife getting along?

You will see a lot of tissue swelling which will cause Bobo to snuffle breath for a few days. The bleeding should gradually slow down within a few days. What kind of anti inflammatory did your vet prescribe?
    No medicine was able to sedate her. I was planning to bring her to the vet to get her teeth trim. But she decide to yank it out herself in the cage instead. I seriously don’t know how she do it. I hear her screaming from her cage. The next thing I see is both of her top teeth is laying on the cage.

I don’t know what type of anti inflammatory medicine she prescribed because she have divided into few different pieces already.

What else could I feed her ? She isn’t really eating but just keep drinking water and juice.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TG715 from:

RockyPops (01-22-2020)

I am making an assumption that squirrels in Bangkok need a rodent block of some sort. If I am wrong please somebody correct me.

I am going to take a picture of what ours look like. I would think your squirrels diet might be more fruit based but since she is a rodent I would think that she would need some type of rodent block, which is what the pictures are.

Name:  C1C2ED8C-3316-420B-AB17-F9EF6FDF7E8E.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  88.3 KBName:  0150198C-193F-465F-B161-7CE8E911866A.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  128.2 KB
    redwuff
    State Licensed

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

RockyPops (01-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TG715 View Post
    No medicine was able to sedate her. I was planning to bring her to the vet to get her teeth trim. But she decide to yank it out herself in the cage instead. I seriously don’t know how she do it. I hear her screaming from her cage. The next thing I see is both of her top teeth is laying on the cage.

I don’t know what type of anti inflammatory medicine she prescribed because she have divided into few different pieces already.

What else could I feed her ? She isn’t really eating but just keep drinking water and juice.
    I am so sorry about your baby! A suggestion I have is to feed her baby food, veggies, and fruits. It's good that she is drinking water, and juice but I would not over do it on the juice it contains sugar. Do you have or can you get
    Pedialyte clear Not Flavored) to be sure she stays hydrated, this is important with blood loss. Do you know how to do the pinch test to check for dehydration ? if not let us know it is a very simple test you can do.

also be sure she is warm, use a heating pad if you have too, we can tell you the correct way to do this, do not just put her on the pad with out a towel folded on top of the pad and the temperature on low and monitor it to be sure it is not getting to hot and make sure she can move off the heating pad if she gets to hot.
    Squirrels Do Matter

If you Were Lucky Enough To Have Loved and Taken Care Of A Squirrel Then
    You Showed Him Or Her More Love Than They Would Have Ever Known In The Wild
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Member Of WRAM ( Wildlife Rehabbers association Massachusetts)

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to frankc:

RockyPops (01-22-2020), TG715 (01-22-2020)

Here is another kind that is also very good. But what you would need to do with these blocks is to grind them up and make a soft ball out of it with some other ingredients. See if you can get anything like these blocks. Let us know what you find. I can send you a recipe that most squirrels really like. If your girl grows those teeth back it will be awhile, so soft balls it is. You will need to watch those bottom teeth since they no longer have the top teeth to work the bottom to wear down.

Name:  8EFEC497-D524-411E-AFCC-4CBFA3D3EE66.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  131.6 KB
    redwuff
    State Licensed

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

frankc (01-22-2020), Mel1959 (01-22-2020), RockyPops (01-22-2020)

TG I just experienced this last fall. It looks absolutely horrible but it does not take too long for them to recover. Most likely, this turns her into a non-releaseable squirrel, at least for awhile to see if teeth grow back properly. This will be ok.

But we would like to hear the history of other squirrels you have had. If the diet is not balanced they get a condition that is called MBD or metabolic bone disease. Eventually it will kill them. Basically it is similar to osteoporosis in humans only it will quickly cause bone breaks, paralysis, seizures, and death. Sometimes you don’t even see any symptoms, you just find them dead way too early in their lives. And the worst of it is, is that most squirrels like children, want to eat just the potato chips of the squirrel world.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

20. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

frankc (01-22-2020), RockyPops (01-22-2020), TG715 (01-22-2020)

I am making an assumption that squirrels in Bangkok need a rodent block of some sort. If I am wrong please somebody correct me.

I am going to take a picture of what ours look like. I would think your squirrels diet might be more fruit based but since she is a rodent I would think that she would need some type of rodent block, which is what the pictures are.

Name:  C1C2ED8C-3316-420B-AB17-F9EF6FDF7E8E.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  88.3 KBName:  0150198C-193F-465F-B161-7CE8E911866A.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  128.2 KB
    Yes. I started to give her those a month ago because it aren’t easy to buy rodent block here. Took me a while to find it. But right now she can’t eat so I am just giving her cerelac with calcium powder. But she don’t have the appetite to eat.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TG715 from:

RockyPops (01-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    I am so sorry about your baby! A suggestion I have is to feed her baby food, veggies, and fruits. It's good that she is drinking water, and juice but I would not over do it on the juice it contains sugar. Do you have or can you get
    Pedialyte clear Not Flavored) to be sure she stays hydrated, this is important with blood loss. Do you know how to do the pinch test to check for dehydration ? if not let us know it is a very simple test you can do.

also be sure she is warm, use a heating pad if you have too, we can tell you the correct way to do this, do not just put her on the pad with out a towel folded on top of the pad and the temperature on low and monitor it to be sure it is not getting to hot and make sure she can move off the heating pad if she gets to hot.
    I’m not sure if I can find Pedialyte. Can I give her water mixed with sugar and salt ?

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TG715 from:

RockyPops (01-22-2020)

TG I just experienced this last fall. It looks absolutely horrible but it does not take too long for them to recover. Most likely, this turns her into a non-releaseable squirrel, at least for awhile to see if teeth grow back properly. This will be ok.

But we would like to hear the history of other squirrels you have had. If the diet is not balanced they get a condition that is called MBD or metabolic bone disease. Eventually it will kill them. Basically it is similar to osteoporosis in humans only it will quickly cause bone breaks, paralysis, seizures, and death. Sometimes you don’t even see any symptoms, you just find them dead way too early in their lives. And the worst of it is, is that most squirrels like children, want to eat just the potato chips of the squirrel world.
    Bobo is my fourth squirrel. I lost my first squirrel when he was four months old because I didn’t realize calcium is their priority until his death. Then I started to do research and found this website. I learned a lot from this website. Then when I got my second and third squirrel, I feed them vegetables and fruits along with calcium powder. Honestly, rodent blocks isn’t easy to find here. Lucky enough, my second and third squirrel grow up healthy.

Just now Bobo is the most wild one I ever own. Won’t let me cut teeth or cut nails. Very very stubborn.

26. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TG715:

frankc (01-22-2020), redwuff (01-22-2020), RockyPops (01-22-2020)

I’m not sure if I can find Pedialyte. Can I give her water mixed with sugar and salt ?
    My guess is that if she is drinking plain water that will be fine. Frank is correct that if a body loses too much blood they will become dehydrated. But this usually is not a huge loss of blood, just scary looking.
    The cereal, if she will eat it is ok for a day or two, but anything longer then that will not give her enough nutrients long range. I will send my recipe to you but you will need a blender to grind the block and nuts to a fine powder. If I leave any nut chunks in the boo ball, I find the squirrels tear it apart to get to the small nut piece. I do not bake mine and I also add oatmeal to it. (I throw oatmeal outside for my hens to eat and saw the wild squirrels were also eating it). You can add more or less applesauce or any kind of puréed fruit to make it the consistency you want.
    This was given to me nine years ago when I had my first squirrel and I fed her mostly nuts cos that’s what I though squirrels ate. Thank goodness my friend helped me get her on a life sustaining diet. She is now nine years old

Name:  50F53300-BCFF-40CB-A52B-1CD0EBA3F85F.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  180.3 KB
    redwuff
    State Licensed

28. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Bobo is my fourth squirrel. I lost my first squirrel when he was four months old because I didn’t realize calcium is their priority until his death. Then I started to do research and found this website. I learned a lot from this website. Then when I got my second and third squirrel, I feed them vegetables and fruits along with calcium powder. Honestly, rodent blocks isn’t easy to find here. Lucky enough, my second and third squirrel grow up healthy.

Just now Bobo is the most wild one I ever own. Won’t let me cut teeth or cut nails. Very very stubborn.
    Thank you for doing the research TG. Yeah, diet is it! I would continue to make the effort to find rodent block. Just adding calcium to food is like playing Russian roulette, you never know if you have enough or too much. The website Henry’s Healthy Pet has a recipe to make the Henry’s Healthy block. Have you ever seen that?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

30. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Yes you can give her that but not long term. She needs electrolytes that is in hydration fluids. I am not sure what you have available in your country, but I would look for a hydration fluid that is used to hydrate children.If you find some let us know what is in it before giving it to your baby squirrel. Do you know the amount of sugar and salt to mix with water? again if not we can help you there also. Also if you find a hydration fluid try to get some that is not flavored because that also contains sugar.
    Also please follow Redwuff advice we have some excellent rehabbers on the board and she is one of them. Please keep us posted !! We all care very much for our fury friends no matter were they are in the world.
    Squirrels Do Matter

32. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to frankc:

Chirps (01-30-2020), RockyPops (01-22-2020)

Hi Again. I noticed in your post that you said your vet dose not know much about squirrels. I just finished classes at the Tufts Wildlife college, and it is my understanding that they (tufts) will help any vet in need of information, and guidance. I have included there contact information that you might pass along to your vet. Hope this helps.

The Tufts Wildlife Clinic is located in the Bernice Barbour Wildlife Medicine Building on the campus of Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University.

50 Willard St.
    North Grafton, MA 01536

Campus Map

MAILING ADDRESS
    Tufts Wildlife Clinic
    Bernice Barbour Wildlife Medicine Building
    200 Westboro Road
    North Grafton, MA 01536

HOURS OF OPERATION
    Monday through Friday: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
    Please try to drop off by 4:00 pm so we have time to admit the animal before we close.
    Saturday and Sunday: 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
    Closed: Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and New Years Day
    Phone
    508-839-7918
    Fax
    508-839-7930
    Squirrels Do Matter

34. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to frankc:

Chirps (01-30-2020), Mel1959 (01-22-2020), redwuff (01-22-2020), RockyPops (01-22-2020), TG715 (01-22-2020)

Thank you all for the love and caring you give to my baby girl. I will try to gather all the ingredients and try the recipe. Bobo doesn’t like to eat nuts. I try to give to her a few times but she always just ignore it.

I have found a powder drink that have electrolytes. Can you tell me if it’s suitable or not ?

36. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TG715 from:

RockyPops (01-22-2020)

Thank you all for the love and caring you give to my baby girl. I will try to gather all the ingredients and try the recipe. Bobo doesn’t like to eat nuts. I try to give to her a few times but she always just ignore it
    Out of curiosity, do you offer Bobo shelled nuts. Is that what she refuses?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

38. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

RockyPops (01-22-2020)

Thank you all for the love and caring you give to my baby girl. I will try to gather all the ingredients and try the recipe. Bobo doesn’t like to eat nuts. I try to give to her a few times but she always just ignore it.

I have found a powder drink that have electrolytes. Can you tell me if it’s suitable or not ?

As redwuff said above, if your squirrel is drinking water, there is no need for Pedialyte

IF you ever have a squirrel that is dehydrated, especially due to diarrhea, use the homemade Pedialyte formula.

Homemade Pedialyte
    1 cup warm water
    1/4 tsp salt (teaspoon)
    1 Tbsp sugar (tablespoon)

FYI Placing a salt into a solvent (such as water) also results in an electrolyte solution.

40. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

frankc (01-22-2020), RockyPops (01-22-2020), stepnstone (01-22-2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast