Thread: Help! 14 week old lost part of his tail

Default Help! 14 week old lost part of his tail

Hey guys! really need your help! I have a 14 week old male grey squirrel named gator I’m fostering. Today not knowing he was behind me, I sat down ok his tail. I guess he was trying to move at the same time and it messed up his tail I heard him yelp. And a few mins later. Part of his tail fell off! He is bleeding- not dripping or anything but I’m still so worried! I know their tailsare so important and I feel awful! Is this really bad? Anything I should do for him?

His energy hasn’t let down for one second just FYI. Still my crazy little guy Name:  A1238A79-BF5E-4D1E-B785-EEC97558AFA5.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  55.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cass_ran:

Chirps (01-22-2020), frankc (01-21-2020), RockyPops (01-21-2020)

Default Re: Help! 14 week old lost part of his tail

It will be fine. You can put a little Neosporin on it. It will dry up and fall off just keep an eye out for infection. But it should be fine.

4. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Grinderhead:

Chirps (01-22-2020), frankc (01-21-2020), RockyPops (01-21-2020), Spanky (01-21-2020), stepnstone (01-21-2020)

The bone sticking out the end will blacken and either fall off or it will be chewed off. I actually like wiping it once a day with a diluted betadyne solution (25 drops to 1/4 cup water) rather than the neosporin, only because the neo is gooey and they hate stuff on their fur so it can make them fuss with an area. The betadyne is like putting water on it - when it dries it leaves no residue to fuss with.

The tail will be shorter forever - the tip won't grow back. My boy Mister P lost part of his tail when he was young and the tip had a different "hairstyle" after every molt - sometimes it was square, often it was forked like a little devil's tail and his very last tail had a perfectly corkscrewed tip!

6. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (01-22-2020), frankc (01-21-2020), RockyPops (01-21-2020), stepnstone (01-21-2020), TubeDriver (01-21-2020)

Are you planning on releasing gator?

If so and trying to see the good side of a not so good a thing, it may help you recognize him after release.

Poor baby! They can get in predicaments!

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

Chirps (01-22-2020), frankc (01-21-2020), TubeDriver (01-21-2020)

This happened to one of mine today too. I’m fostering 4 babies (well, almost 15 weeks so not really babies anymore!) I don’t even know what happened, they were out running around the bathroom like normal, and I never heard any of them yelp or make noise or anything. I just turned around and there was a tail tip on the ground. I identified which one it came from as the end of her tail was bloody. I freaked out a little at first, then googled it and got on the forum. Doesn’t sound like it is too serious, and she doesn’t seem to be in pain. I’m so grateful for the wealth of information that this forum provides!

Quote Originally Posted by Mfnusz View Post
    This happened to one of mine today too. I’m fostering 4 babies (well, almost 15 weeks so not really babies anymore!) I don’t even know what happened, they were out running around the bathroom like normal, and I never heard any of them yelp or make noise or anything. I just turned around and there was a tail tip on the ground. I identified which one it came from as the end of her tail was bloody. I freaked out a little at first, then googled it and got on the forum. Doesn’t sound like it is too serious, and she doesn’t seem to be in pain. I’m so grateful for the wealth of information that this forum provides!
    The tail should be fine. The bone will dry up. It will either fall off or she will chew it off. A short tail will not affect her when released. She will do fine.

For years there was a squirrel without a tail that inhabited my yard. She kicked ass and took names.