Thread: Fox squirrel ate Naproxen

Default Fox squirrel ate Naproxen

I do not know if this is life-threatening or not. My 6 month old fox squirrel, due to be released in a month or so, somehow got into my purse and appears to have consumed a little bit of a Naproxen tablet. I found a blue pill with the blue removed and a bit of the white of the pill missing. I don't know if she actually ate it or if she dropped it out of her mouth. I have given her a little bit of activated charcoal, and, for the moment, she looks OK, jumping about in her cage. Earlier, she had hunched a bit and squealed when I picked her up — and it was difficult to give her the charcoal. Any advice?

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sir Rodney from:

RockyPops (01-29-2020)

Default Re: Fox squirrel ate Naproxen

If you have a safe vet, I would call them. Naproxen is odorless and very bitter tasting so I doubt he ate much, he probably took an exploratory nibble and did not like what he tasted. I do not think this should be enough to cause issues but the activated charcoal should help protect him. Activated charcoal is EXTREMELY nasty tasting so I am not surprised he did not want it. I would keep him well hydrated and watch him carefully. Keep him well hydrated.

"There are no studies which have assessed the impact of activated charcoal (or other gut decontamination methods) in the management of patients with NSAID overdose. However, the current Joint Position Statement of the American Academy of Clinical Toxicology and the European Association of Poisons Centers and Clinical Toxicologists, recommends that activated charcoal should be administered to patients who present within 1 hour of ingestion of a significant overdose, in an attempt to reduce absorption.55

Patients with significant vomiting and/or who are clinically dehydrated should have oral and/or intravenous fluid rehydration to maintain renal perfusion and good urine output."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4753966/

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Rodney View Post
    I do not know if this is life-threatening or not. My 6 month old fox squirrel, due to be released in a month or so, somehow got into my purse and appears to have consumed a little bit of a Naproxen tablet. I found a blue pill with the blue removed and a bit of the white of the pill missing. I don't know if she actually ate it or if she dropped it out of her mouth. I have given her a little bit of activated charcoal, and, for the moment, she looks OK, jumping about in her cage. Earlier, she had hunched a bit and squealed when I picked her up — and it was difficult to give her the charcoal. Any advice?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Diggie's Friend (01-29-2020), Nancy in New York (01-30-2020), RockyPops (01-29-2020), Sir Rodney (01-29-2020)

Hi all; I contacted three vets in their area and all were either closing, or not able to take a squirrel.

The squirrel has also be hydrated, and appears to have stopped arching it's back.

Concerns for ulceration of the stomach, liver toxicity as Naproxin is highly toxic source, and the kidneys.

I recommended giving Activated Charcoal by mouth towards detoxing.

Anyone here that has experience in addressing the accidental ingestion of naproxen in rodents?

Milk Thistle seed extract is one that supports the liver when it is exposed to toxic injury.

What would be the recommended dosage for an adult fox squirrel?

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

RockyPops (01-30-2020)

Sir Rodney got the first dose of MTS extract in.

There was a notation on continuing the treatment for (5 to 7) days.

Thanks for the support TubeD, you're a peach!

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Nancy in New York (01-30-2020), RockyPops (01-30-2020)