Thread: Squirrel seizing ~90% of the time

Default Squirrel seizing ~90% of the time

This video is from yesterday. Yes, I know I need to take him to the vet. RSPCA haven't given me an insurance number yet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zljlrrh68p...izure.mp4?dl=0

I thought it was a virus but now I'm thinking it's a neurotoxin he ingested.

Poor little guy probably didn't sleep and I'm surprised he survived. He's had almost no food and water for 3 days. I've been nursing him with a pipette but it's only ~20cm3 total.

Default Re: Squirrel seizing ~90% of the time

Unfortunately here in England there is nothing the RSPCA or vets will do because of their species, putting them to sleep is probably all they will suggest. I hope the little guy gets well soon.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Crazy squirrel lady from:

HRT4SQRLS (01-20-2020)

David, is this a pet squirrel or a wild? If it is a pet give us some history. How long have you had the squirrel? What have you been feeding?
    This could be seizures related to low calcium. We can help you treat if it is but we need a history to be sure.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

frankc (01-20-2020), Nancy in New York (01-20-2020)

Poor baby!

Thank you for caring!

Keep checking back here, someone will check in with advice.

Some things that may help ...

Diet, weight, age and of course a name.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

frankc (01-20-2020)

Four days ago, I found him in my garden, dragging himself along with his left hindleg trailing. I checked on him twice and he quite prone to being prey to a fox. He was quite strong and fat at that point.
    I made the mistake of putting him in my kitchen where he immediately made for the only bolt-hole. He thus spent the first two days hidden behind my washing machine. The morning after, he chewed into the washing machine pipe, flooded the kitchen and several rooms and he'd probably been lying like this for 4-5 hours.

Name:  IMG_20200119_134927[1].jpg
Views: 67
Size:  109.5 KB

He was much much weaker at this point and I think his seizures were starting (though it was hard to tell if he was just trying to grab my attention). I got him dry and warm but he started seizing a few hours later, increasing in frequency to almost constant last night.

He probably drank from the water that came flooding through, along with whatever had dissolved from my kitchen floor (Stardrops, dirt, bits of food).

He won't eat anything and has lost a ton of weight. The second day, he came out to snatch a few segments of a clementine I left out for him, ignored the banana and mushroom.
    Yesterday, I gave him about 10cm3 of diluted clementine juice, but I need a new pipette now.

If he ever recovers, his bad leg has got a lot better.

UK vets are legally obliged to provide emergency care btw, basically bandaging and pain medication. I get the impression the RSPCA will help but await their reply.

Will edit with his current weight.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to David from:

frankc (01-20-2020)

He needs to be in a container he can't get out of -- cat carrier or dog crate, whatever. Give him lots of fleece or old sweatshirts to burrow into. If you can at least hydrate him by syringe, use this formula

2 cups very warm water
    1.5 tablespoons sugar or 1/3 teaspoon honey
    .5 teaspoon salt

If he is truly cluster seizuring, one after another, he will not last long. Give him a safe warm place to cross the Bridge -- it's really all you can do,
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

frankc (01-20-2020), TubeDriver (01-20-2020)

After he slept/seized in his own urine all night, I tried to give him a bath. No soap and a few mm of tepid water but he hated it! Maybe reminded him of the 'flood' he caused the previous day.

I got him to drink water out of another plate, so that's good. He was still angry though so bit the plate!

And he just ate a raisin. First thing he's eaten in 50+ hours. So I soaked some more raisins in sugary chamomile tea. And he's eaten a couple of those.

I don't know if chamomile substitutes for sodium chloride but it has lots of other good things in it. I don't think sodium is the issue but what do I know...

The seizures occur roughly every 0.8s -- the noticeable first bit is tremour in his chest and then his arms flail. Sometimes his head goes way back for seconds. Reminds me of some drug overdoses on the old US series, ER.

He likes being in between the cushions of the sofa, maybe because it's dark and restricts his movement.

Stardrops shouldn't be the poison as I use it to wash dishes. But it's always possible squirrels react to one of the four listed ingredients.

Or maybe it's an electrolyte/calcium thing. I will try feeding him cream next as I have no other source of calcium.

David, I’m not sure what to recommend but I think getting electrolytes into him would be a good start. Because he was deprived of water for a time he is probably suffering the side effects of severe dehydration. Store bought Pedialyte would be best but if you can’t get it the homemade version of hydration fluid posted above would be OK. You will need a syringe to get it into him. They usually like it and will readily take it.

Any type of juicy fruit will help. Grapes, watermelon, apple. They will also bring his blood sugar up. I would get him in a container of some kind. Even a cardboard box would be better than nothing. Any container needs a pile of fleece, Tshirts, fannel or any type of cotton material. Even old pajamas would be good. He will hide under the material. It will bring his stress way down.

Squirrels love avocado so you could try that as well. No seed or pit as they are toxic.
    It’s possible the seizures will stop when he is stabilized.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

frankc (01-20-2020)

I had hoped the vets would give him another 24-48 hours.

He'd been seizuring possibly for about 18 hours non-stop. It was a shock and a letdown having done so much to keep him alive over the weekend but I guess the vet ruled out electrolyte imbalance.

I didn't think I'd find anyone locally to look after a permanently seizuring squirrel who probably wouldn't survive and, if he did, would take two weeks to rehabilitate. It was quite upsetting but I gave consent to euthanise around 4:45pm.

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to David:

Bravo (01-20-2020), TubeDriver (01-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post

He'd been seizuring possibly for about 18 hours non-stop. It was a shock and a letdown having done so much to keep him alive over the weekend but I guess the vet ruled out electrolyte imbalance.

I didn't think I'd find anyone locally to look after a permanently seizuring squirrel who probably wouldn't survive and, if he did, would take two weeks to rehabilitate. It was quite upsetting but I gave consent to euthanise around 4:45pm.
    David
    I am so sorry that the little guy had to be put to sleep. It breaks my heart whenever i read about one of our angels passing over. We all here on the board have been there one time or an other. Just know that we all feel your pain and sadness. It effects all of us. Thank you so much for having cared and loved him an trying to help him. He will leave a hole in your heart as they all do, but just be thankful it was you who got to love and care for him, even if it was just a shot time.
    RIP Little angel, cross the rainbow bridge were so many will be waiting to welcome you. When you do I know my Roco, Peanut, Precious, and Angel will be there waiting for you to play in the trees with them.
    Squirrels Do Matter

If you Were Lucky Enough To Have Loved and Taken Care Of A Squirrel Then
    You Showed Him Or Her More Love Than They Would Have Ever Known In The Wild
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Member Of WRAM ( Wildlife Rehabbers association Massachusetts)

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to frankc from:

redwuff (01-20-2020)

Godspeed little fellow! Go be free of pain and fear, run with your friends!

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

frankc (01-20-2020)

You have given him the gift of love and comfort. Now you give him the gift of freedom from fear.
    Seizure is a frightening loss of control and you are freeing him from that. Thank you for being a kind human...
    Godspeed precious wild one...
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post

Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

23. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

Diggie's Friend (01-21-2020), frankc (01-20-2020), Nancy in New York (01-20-2020), RockyPops (01-20-2020), stepnstone (01-20-2020)