Thread: Question for NY State licensed rehabbers

Default Question for NY State licensed rehabbers

Per NY Fish & Wildlife laws, is it technically not permitted for the public to feed wildlife ?

Also, is it illegal for someone to trap a squirrel and release it elsewhere, unless that person is licensed to do so ?

In California, under Title XIV law, it s illegal to feed wildlife (even birds) per Section 251.1
    Trapping a squirrel and releasing it elsewhere is a violation under Section 671

Thank you

Default Re: Question for NY State licensed rehabbers

Quote Originally Posted by Randy14 View Post
    Per NY Fish & Wildlife laws, is it technically not permitted for the public to feed wildlife ?

Also, is it illegal for someone to trap a squirrel and release it elsewhere, unless that person is licensed to do so ?

In California, under Title XIV law, it s illegal to feed wildlife (even birds) per Section 251.1
    Trapping a squirrel and releasing it elsewhere is a violation under Section 671

Thank you
    Hi Randy
    My suggestion is if you have a squirrel that is causing you a problem your best and safest method is to contact a licensed rehabber to help you capture the squirrel, and as a last resort wildlife. I am not sure about the laws in NY but I am sure you don't want to cause harm to the squirrel. A humane trap should be used that will not hurt or kill the squirrel. Also please consider that we are in the winter months, capturing and relocating a squirrel now could be a death sentence for him. Squirrel hoard there food in better weather in order to survive the winter it's a must for them. Then there is there nesting place. This time of the year squirrels sleep together in order to keep warm, and if this squirrel is a female that has babies the babies will suffer and die. Unless you know were the nest is or can determine if it is a female or a male please don't relocate the squirrel. If you can get a good look at it with binoculars and determine the sex relocating it now could be a bad choice. Even if it is not a female with babies but is a male or female removing it from it's location now could be a death sentence for the reasons I have explained, nesting and a food source. Squirrels are very territorial and a new comer to an area if it already has squirrels will get chased off results ! in most cases death this time of year.. Please reconsider if you can until spring when he or she will have a chance to build a nest and gather food. If you can't for what ever reason please contact a rehabber there are many good rehabbers in NY.
    Squirrels Do Matter

If you Were Lucky Enough To Have Loved and Taken Care Of A Squirrel Then
    You Showed Him Or Her More Love Than They Would Have Ever Known In The Wild
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Member Of WRAM ( Wildlife Rehabbers association Massachusetts)

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to frankc:

RockyPops (01-22-2020), TubeDriver (01-22-2020)

Relocating an Animal
    It is illegal for you to move or relocate an animal off your property. You cannot live trap an animal and release it in a park, on State land or anywhere other than on the property where it was captured. If you need a wild animal removed from your property, contact a Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator (NWCO). Relocating an animal can create problems for neighbors, can move diseases like rabies or Lyme, and can cause unnecessary stress to the animal. This task must be handled by a licensed professional.

Squirrels - Gray, Black, and Fox DEC permit needed

Randy here is the link if you would like more info.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/81531.html
    Squirrels Do Matter

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to frankc:

RockyPops (01-22-2020), TubeDriver (01-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    Hi Randy
    My suggestion is if you have a squirrel that is causing you a problem your best and safest method is to contact a licensed rehabber to help you capture the squirrel, and as a last resort wildlife. I am not sure about the laws in NY but I am sure you don't want to cause harm to the squirrel. A humane trap should be used that will not hurt or kill the squirrel. Also please consider that we are in the winter months, capturing and relocating a squirrel now could be a death sentence for him. Squirrel hoard there food in better weather in order to survive the winter it's a must for them. Then there is there nesting place. This time of the year squirrels sleep together in order to keep warm, and if this squirrel is a female that has babies the babies will suffer and die. Unless you know were the nest is or can determine if it is a female or a male please don't relocate the squirrel. If you can get a good look at it with binoculars and determine the sex relocating it now could be a bad choice. Even if it is not a female with babies but is a male or female removing it from it's location now could be a death sentence for the reasons I have explained, nesting and a food source. Squirrels are very territorial and a new comer to an area if it already has squirrels will get chased off results ! in most cases death this time of year.. Please reconsider if you can until spring when he or she will have a chance to build a nest and gather food. If you can't for what ever reason please contact a rehabber there are many good rehabbers in NY.
    I totally agree with your response, because I'm an experienced rehabber in SoCal. The reason I was asking was that I read a 'Dear Amy' (similar to Dear Abby) about a new townhouse neighbor in Niagara Falls. The existing neighbor (not a rehabber)was feeding squirrels peanuts and making a mess, not to mention digging up the lawn which is common behavior for squirrels to bury nuts. The new neighbor wanted to complain but didn't know what to do, or how to approach that person. That's why I was inquiring about NY Fish & Wildlife law to get an idea of the options. If this happened in California, F&W could come down with a warning or misdemeanor violation to tell that neighbor to stop.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Randy14:

frankc (01-23-2020), RockyPops (01-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Randy14 View Post
    I totally agree with your response, because I'm an experienced rehabber in SoCal. The reason I was asking was that I read a 'Dear Amy' (similar to Dear Abby) about a new townhouse neighbor in Niagara Falls. The existing neighbor (not a rehabber)was feeding squirrels peanuts and making a mess, not to mention digging up the lawn which is common behavior for squirrels to bury nuts. The new neighbor wanted to complain but didn't know what to do, or how to approach that person. That's why I was inquiring about NY Fish & Wildlife law to get an idea of the options. If this happened in California, F&W could come down with a warning or misdemeanor violation to tell that neighbor to stop.
    Hi Randy. Now I understand Ya the states all differ so much about wildlife, and so many people just don't check before they act. I wonder when some people will understand that these little guys are just trying to survive against so many odds against them. As I am sure you know as a rehabber there lives are so tough from the moment they are born. My heart breaks for all of them. Good luck on your rehabbing Randy and save as many as the good lord will allow you too. They are precious !!
    Squirrels Do Matter

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to frankc:

island rehabber (01-26-2020), RockyPops (01-23-2020)

The townhouse resident only needs to complain to her homeowners association (HOA) to stop the other neighbor from feeding wildlife. As I unfortunately know all too well, condo/HOA laws supercede city and state regulations. Even if it's legal in her state, if the board says no she MUST stop feeding.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

frankc (01-26-2020), RockyPops (01-26-2020)

Feeding the squirrels, even the rehabbers do that; so much for the code!

I always tell folks that want to feed squirrels, to feed them English Walnuts, not peanuts of sunflower seeds, etc..

California walnut trees are not numerous; oaks in some areas are though.

Fox squirrels here were origonally brought by Civil War Veterans and released Circa early 1900's to the San Fernando Valley, and released. Since they have spread out over the area.

So wildlife authorites would have them starved out, as they are an introduced species. There have even been studies done to support that view. Thankfully they found that the Fox squirrels and the Western Gray natives aren't anymore aggressive toward one another than they are agaist their own species. The area that they were inserted at is not the habitat of the Western Gray, but that of Ca.ground squirrels.

Much of the flora in the area is not native, nor are the people either. Rather hypocritical!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 02-06-2020 at 08:49 AM.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

frankc (02-06-2020)