Thread: So much pee

Default So much pee

So in just the last 4 days Rocky has been peeing SO MUCH. He has been with me since November 1, 2019 and was about 5 weeks when I found him. He has always been fantastic about using his potty box. I have upgraded it as he as grown and learned how tip it over (this is now not possible) but in just the last few days he has started peeing all over the top tray of his cage where his potty box is and this is also the tray that I put his food plate on. And I’m not talking just a tinkle spot here and there, I mean I can clean it and an hour later and the entire tray is soaked with pee and he will even pee in his food plate. I feed him out of a glass pie dish for reference. But he is still using his potty box a lot as there are noticeable wet spots in it. It is getting to the point that I can’t really handle him without him peeing all over me within 30 seconds of me picking him up. He does have free access to water so should I start limiting it along more? Also when I wipe up the pee it is a normal clear color. No discoloration.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Caytosam000 from:

RockyPops (01-18-2020)

Default Re: So much pee

NEVER restrict access to water. This boy is getting his hormones on and he has a huge area that he now realizes he needs to claim as his own property. This will calm down but young man squirrel hormones will put both of you through some laundry until then.

Squirrels always pee near their food. I solve this with cotton placemats of which I have about 50,000 of now. Every morning, yesterday's "pee mat" goes in the washer and gets replaced. I do the same in other areas he likes to pee in and it keeps the smell from accumulating.

If you stick to the same clothes when you have him out for play and company and don't be too scrupulously clean with them, he won't feel the need to constantly re-mark you.

4. 8 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (01-18-2020), Diggie's Friend (01-18-2020), HRT4SQRLS (01-18-2020), island rehabber (01-18-2020), Mel1959 (01-18-2020), redwuff (01-19-2020), RockyPops (01-18-2020), TubeDriver (01-18-2020)

I was going to say the same thing as CritterMom. If I didn’t feel the sensation of warm pee going down my back I would think something was wrong. They delight in marking their people.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Chirps (01-18-2020), RockyPops (01-18-2020)

Thanks for the help! I’ll try putting some placement type pads down for him to pee on to see if that helps! I’m sure me vigorously cleaning the tray 4 times a day isn’t helping the problem then!

Thanks for the tips!

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Caytosam000 from:

RockyPops (01-18-2020)

Odeur d'ecureuil

I have to confess I liked it when Navvy peed on me. What an honor to be owned by a squirrel!

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

RockyPops (01-18-2020)