Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squirrell has Squirrel Pox please help

Default Squirrell has Squirrel Pox please help

I have a wild squirrel that visits me every day who has squirrel pox that is in very bad shape and he has lost his vision for the pox has taken over his eye, paws, mouth and more. He can no longer climb a fence or tree. He knows my voice and comes out of the bushes when called and finds his way to my back door to be fed. He shakes at the presence of any other squirrels and birds out of fear. He can no longer break open shelled nuts and barely can eat. I've called the local animal rehabilitation centers but they said I have to catch him myself and they will come out to pick him up. They said most liking they will euthanize him. Apart of me wants him to be out of his misery and a part of me wants me to fight for his life but I can't find an animal rehab person to help him. I feel so guilty I'm all he trusts. Can anyone help me find someone to help him? I live in Northern Virginia. I can't bear to look at him suffering anymore. I will take down the photo if it's too much for anyone to look at. I have a video that is so depressing to to look just as bad and found a way to cure the squirrel so I know if someone comes and gets him asap he may have a chance. Any suggestions I'm devastated and in tears. I just learned about this forum and do not know how to post a photo or video. Sorry..

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to joytoworld66 from:

RockyPops (01-14-2020)

Default Re: Squirrell has Squirrel Pox please help

Hi, im so sorry to hear this. If i was in virginia i would be there asap. Is there a way for you to catch him and find out how and what treatment is and do it yourself? Especially until someone could help you. Squirrel and you are in my thoughts.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to slee from:

RockyPops (01-14-2020)

Poor baby. Someone with more experience (and hopefully someone near your area) will respond soon, but in the meantime I found this recipe that you could try feeding, assuming he will come to you for food. Some of the ingredients would need to be ordered online (I'm sure you could get them on Amazon)- but if you're willing & able it's certainly worth a try. From what I understand, Pox is a virus so anything you can do to help boost the immune system is the most important.

Also, there's a whole section of this forum about Pox under the "specific ailment information" heading (which is where this recipe was originally posted) & lots more good info there.

Immune System Booster Recipe

Nut Paste: You will need a blender or food processor...

2 cups ground pecans
    1/2 cup ground walnuts
    1/4 cup ground hazelnuts
    You will need to really blend these well...until sticky. You need to grind them to release the oil in the nuts. They will help the paste stick together at the end!

3/4 cup of Fox Valley or Esbilac
    Vitamin C with Rose Hips (2 x 1000mg) (Rose hips help with muscle fatigue)
    Probiotic (1 x Culturelle- 10 Billion CFU)
    Colostrum (6 x 500mg capsules)
    L-Glutamine (2tsp)
    Echinacea Augustifolia (4 x 1000mg capsules) (Augustafolia- infections and inflammation)
    Echinacea Purpurea (6 x 1200mg capsules) (Purpurea- immune booster)
    Vetri-DMG (2cc)
    Omega3 (3 x 1425mg capsules)

Add dry ingredients first...adding oils and other wet ingredients at the end before the final blend!
    Just in case it needs to be said...crush hard tablets to powder before adding...cut open Omega3 oils and squeeze oil out of caplet when adding to blender. Open capsules and pour powder into blender!

Blend until it forms a sticky paste. Once the nuts have been ground...be sure NOT to over blend the rest of the supplements as excess heat can kill off the properties we need from them!

Roll into balls...about a Tbsp worth...and refrigerate.
    Provide 1 ball in the morning and 1 in the evening in addition to rat block and veg.

For treating in the Wild:

Roll the paste into smaller balls about 2tsp worth and place at the feeder or in the area where the squee or squees have been seen.
    Only put out enough for the squees to take one or two. If they start burying them...it gets expensive and wasteful.
    Provide a handful in the morning and evening. If you are able to provide the specific squirrel with the nut balls...provide as many as he or she will eat...if they start burying them...wait till next feeding. Continue as long as needed.

6. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mialouise:

island rehabber (01-14-2020), joytoworld66 (01-14-2020), redwuff (01-14-2020), RockyPops (01-14-2020)

I am so sorry your little friend is suffering. Do you have a net (the kind that fisherman use to land a fish)?

Photo would help us although it sounds very advanced. You can link a photo that you have stored on Smugmug or a similar photo storing site.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

I'm not experienced in these issues but someone will help you.

Meanwhile, you could be prepared to catch and house him just in case. If he's that compromised then he's easy prey for hawks, cats etc. And you could possibly better control his meds as needed.

Do you have an enclosure, secure place to keep him away from pets etc. just n case?

Poor little one!

And thank you for caring for him!

To post a pic, look at icons at top of your post dialog box. Click on icon that says "post image" when you hover over it.

To post video, upload to youtube etc. and post a link to it here.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

redwuff (01-14-2020)

Can you get a picture of this girl? Do you see her everyday? What do you think of the chance of catching her if there is someone that could treat her?

Read this. There is hope for your girl.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...al-2017-case-4
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

RockyPops (01-14-2020)

joytoworld66, first let me extend to you a long virtual hug for caring about this poor creature. Most would turn away in horror.

Now I have to be the mean, blunt wildlife rehabilitator and tell you that if the pox is anywhere near his nose, eyes and mouth -- it is also in his brain. This is very very advanced squirrel pox and his chances are slim to none.

If you still want to try, go to this thread --
    post #6 is where the recipe starts:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...al-2017-case-4

Dani from Stormhaven (temporarily closed) swears by this protocol -- try!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Mel1959 (01-14-2020), RockyPops (01-14-2020)

Joytoworld66 - check your PM box. There are local people who can help with cages, meds, food etc.

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

15. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

frankc (01-14-2020), island rehabber (01-14-2020), redwuff (01-14-2020), RockyPops (01-14-2020)

When it comes to viruses, consider the big picture. Nuts, seeds and grains are higher in Arginine than Lysine, the former that supports viral growth, and the latter that retards it.

Nuts and seeds are known to be healthy foods unless you have a viral infection. When you’re sick, nuts and seeds can encourage the growth of viruses in the body. The reason? They contain the amino acid arginine in high levels, which has been known to trigger attacks of herpes-like viruses and further the growth of low-grade viral infection.

If you are trying to recover from a viral infection, arginine-rich nuts and seeds are best to avoid.

"While viruses do not respond to antibiotics, improving your diet can help to support healing in the body. You can strengthen your body’s natural defense by reducing arginine intake while increasing the intake of another basic amino acid called lysine. Antiviral lysine can help to strengthen immunity and protect against viral outbreaks.
    To combat the pox:

Avoid feeding: Nuts and seeds, as these are far higher in Arginine than lysine. These included Walnuts, Pecans, macadamia nuts, pistachios, filberts/hazelnuts, "peanuts, almonds and cashews and sunflower seeds", and pine-nuts.

Chocolate is a rich source of arginine too, reports the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Medicine and Public Health.
    And though Parapox is not herpes, all viruses have this issue in common as to supporting their replication, with Arginine promoting their growth and Leucine retarding it.

https://hsvblog.net/herpes-blog/diet...-common-foods/

Sources that best support fighting viral growth are Low-fat yogurt, low fat yogurt with fruit, and Mango, egg. Softer boiled egg chopped, and Ricotta cheese is also very high in Leucine. In captivity a mixture of these may be a good combination for squirrels with squirrel pox.

Pycnogenol is anti viral; if you can put into something they like to eat besides nuts and seeds, this would be beneficial.

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

frankc (01-15-2020), RockyPops (01-14-2020)

Name:  Squirrel with Pox.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  125.4 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Mialouise View Post
    Poor baby. Someone with more experience (and hopefully someone near your area) will respond soon, but in the meantime I found this recipe that you could try feeding, assuming he will come to you for food. Some of the ingredients would need to be ordered online (I'm sure you could get them on Amazon)- but if you're willing & able it's certainly worth a try. From what I understand, Pox is a virus so anything you can do to help boost the immune system is the most important.

Also, there's a whole section of this forum about Pox under the "specific ailment information" heading (which is where this recipe was originally posted) & lots more good info there.

Immune System Booster Recipe

Nut Paste: You will need a blender or food processor...

2 cups ground pecans
    1/2 cup ground walnuts
    1/4 cup ground hazelnuts
    You will need to really blend these well...until sticky. You need to grind them to release the oil in the nuts. They will help the paste stick together at the end!

3/4 cup of Fox Valley or Esbilac
    Vitamin C with Rose Hips (2 x 1000mg) (Rose hips help with muscle fatigue)
    Probiotic (1 x Culturelle- 10 Billion CFU)
    Colostrum (6 x 500mg capsules)
    L-Glutamine (2tsp)
    Echinacea Augustifolia (4 x 1000mg capsules) (Augustafolia- infections and inflammation)
    Echinacea Purpurea (6 x 1200mg capsules) (Purpurea- immune booster)
    Vetri-DMG (2cc)
    Omega3 (3 x 1425mg capsules)

Add dry ingredients first...adding oils and other wet ingredients at the end before the final blend!
    Just in case it needs to be said...crush hard tablets to powder before adding...cut open Omega3 oils and squeeze oil out of caplet when adding to blender. Open capsules and pour powder into blender!

Blend until it forms a sticky paste. Once the nuts have been ground...be sure NOT to over blend the rest of the supplements as excess heat can kill off the properties we need from them!

Roll into balls...about a Tbsp worth...and refrigerate.
    Provide 1 ball in the morning and 1 in the evening in addition to rat block and veg.

For treating in the Wild:

Roll the paste into smaller balls about 2tsp worth and place at the feeder or in the area where the squee or squees have been seen.
    Only put out enough for the squees to take one or two. If they start burying them...it gets expensive and wasteful.
    Provide a handful in the morning and evening. If you are able to provide the specific squirrel with the nut balls...provide as many as he or she will eat...if they start burying them...wait till next feeding. Continue as long as needed.

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to joytoworld66:

frankc (01-15-2020), RockyPops (01-15-2020)

I just wanted to throw this out for consideration. Do you guys think this is pox? Could it be a severe case of mange? Iíve never seen pox. I know that pox does present around the eyes but I havenít seen pics that look just like that.

Isnít pox seasonal? I thought it was usually seen in the summer during mosquito season. Again, I donít know much about pox but was just wondering if it was something else.

21. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

frankc (01-15-2020), Nancy in New York (01-15-2020), RockyPops (01-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I just wanted to throw this out for consideration. Do you guys think this is pox? Could it be a severe case of mange? Iíve never seen pox. I know that pox does present around the eyes but I havenít seen pics that look just like that.

Isnít pox seasonal? I thought it was usually seen in the summer during mosquito season. Again, I donít know much about pox but was just wondering if it was something else.
    Once I saw the pic I have to agree with you, Patti --- that could be mange and not pox; two treatments of ivermectin can cure that no problem.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

23. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

frankc (01-15-2020), HRT4SQRLS (01-15-2020), RockyPops (01-15-2020)

Joy, would it be possible to get a better pic? One thing for sure, it wouldnít hurt to treat for mange.

I actually prefer Revolution for treating mange ... one drop on a pecan and repeat in a week. Even though it is a topical it works perfectly when dosed on a nut.

Others members can help you dose ivermectin if that is easier to get. Ivermectin can be purchased at any feed store or Tractor Supply. Revolution has to be purchased at a vet and is a bit expensive. It can be purchased at Joeís Pet Meds online but it takes a week to arrive.

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Default Acyclovir - Re: Squirrell has Squirrel Pox please help

Acyclovir ASAP for squirrel pox seems to be the most effective treatment (the sooner the treatment, the better the odds of successful treatment). Squirrel pox is very contagious to other squirrels as an fyi. There are other threads on this forum about that, but hopefully you will get all the help you need right here. Try to find a tablet or some form of acyclovir, which is the same medication that humans ae prescribed for herpes (so someone with herpes might have one pill they can donate or maybe the vet carries that - but not all vets are squirrel friendly so call ahead if in doubt). Next step is to figure out the dosage and go from there, unless this is actually mange instead.

27. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rocky1:

Local members with meds (ABs, Acyclovir, Ivermectin etc) are standing by, we are attempting to offer help. It sounds like time is RAPIDLY running out for this little one.

-Grateful Dead

29. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

frankc (01-15-2020), Mialouise (01-15-2020), redwuff (01-15-2020), Rocky1 (01-15-2020), RockyPops (01-15-2020)

What is happening for this squirrel. Hopefully there has been contact made.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

31. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

frankc (Today), MapleRidgesquirrel (Yesterday), Mialouise (Yesterday), TubeDriver (Yesterday)

I have to say that there were two licensed wildlife rehabilitators standing by the last couple of days to help this poor squirrel who was in desperate need of help. Supplies were gathered to give on the spot first aid and then NOTHING. I wish finders knew how much we care and how far we go to help if there is any way possible. Good luck fella. If you are still on earth I know you canít make it much longer...
    redwuff
    State Licensed

33. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

frankc (Today), Mel1959 (Today), RockyPops (Today)

I just heard back from the OP, the squirrel was captured and brought to a wild life center. DX mange and severe dehydration. This morning, the OP and her husband walked in a nearby park calling out and the found him in a nearby grassy area sitting with it's head stuck down in the grass/dirt and his tail covering his body He was trying to hide and would not move but they saw he was breathing. He would not have lasted another day out there. I hope the wildlife center will treat it well, it should 100% recoverable as long as nothing else is going on. I mentioned that we can help if needed. I hope this little one is safe and will one day see the trees again.

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    I have to say that there were two licensed wildlife rehabilitators standing by the last couple of days to help this poor squirrel who was in desperate need of help. Supplies were gathered to give on the spot first aid and then NOTHING. I wish finders knew how much we care and how far we go to help if there is any way possible. Good luck fella. If you are still on earth I know you canít make it much longer...

-Grateful Dead

35. 8 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

frankc (Today), HRT4SQRLS (Today), lukaslolamaus (Today), Mel1959 (Today), Mialouise (Today), MrsTubeDriver (Today), Nancy in New York (Today), RockyPops (Today)

Prayers for the little guy and a big thank you to the OPís for looking for him and taking him somewhere for help.

37. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

frankc (Today), lukaslolamaus (Today), Mialouise (Today), Nancy in New York (Today), RockyPops (Today)

Yeah, he has no actual pox sores - the eyes looked horrible but that is what they do to themselves because of the itching. They do it with pox sores around the eyes, too. The pox squirrels I have successfully treated in the wild all took three times as long for their faces to heal...they would start looking good and then show up the next morning with their faces torn to shreds. If you could put mittens on them...

I always treat pox squirrels with ivermectin as well as the acyclovir - even if they don't have mange (and they usually do because the immune system is compromised and that is what the mites are looking for), ivermectin also gets rid of a host of other parasites that they certainly don't need.

I hope he does okay. They can sub-q and get the hydration up quickly which will help a lot, and the ivermectin works fast...

39. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

frankc (Today), HRT4SQRLS (Today), Mel1959 (Today)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast