Thread: Not easy to post new threads and lack of info on choking

Default Not easy to post new threads and lack of info on choking

Apparently this is the only place I can post a new thread. Why is there not a choking section in the ailments. I search choking and I get threads that have nothing to do with choking. One thread was 114 pages long. Can you set this up for more expedited and precise search results? I am apparently not enabled to start new threads anywhere but here. Have you all ever heard of a squirrel choking? I had a juvenile that would stop breathing and losing consciousness. I gave rescue breaths and would rub his chest. I did this five times and I was not there for the sixth and he died. The problem was, when I performed this first aid I had him upright. This went on for a week. He would put my finger in his mouth between his teeth. In hindsight, I think he may have had an apple skin or other obstruction as he was fine between episodes. Maybe I should have turned him upside down during the first aid. I am not sure where this post will end up. Another thing you do is put posts in all squirrel go to heaven. You should also not permit posters to have links to their squirrel’s pages in forums. This board is full of self promoters, condescenders and elitists. Sorry to be so critical but we don’t need to read things like, if you can’t afford the vet you don’t deserve the pet on every freaking forum. I would give a million dollars to get my squirrel back. So please trim the fat and quit allowing posters to advertise their pet squirrels’ social media and condescension.

Default Re: Not easy to post new threads and lack of info on choking

Quote Originally Posted by Poky View Post
    Apparently this is the only place I can post a new thread.

You have posted 4 new threads in 2 different areas, since you joined in 11/14/19,
    2 months ago.

Not sure why you are having a problem now.

I for one have enjoyed this board for 12 years with no complaints.
    We have saved thousands of squirrels.
    We take an interest in every single one, and we mourn
    as if they were our own when we can't save them.
    I'm sorry this platform is not to your liking.

The problem was, when I performed this first aid I had him upright. This went on for a week.
    Did you ever consider taking him to a vet since this went on for a week?
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 01-12-2020 at 10:06 AM.

3. 9 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

frankc (01-12-2020), Grinderhead (01-12-2020), HRT4SQRLS (01-12-2020), island rehabber (01-12-2020), Mel1959 (01-12-2020), redwuff (01-13-2020), RockyPops (01-12-2020), stepnstone (01-12-2020), TubeDriver (01-12-2020)

I’m sorry for the loss of your squirrel. I don’t think many of us have had experience with squirrels choking, so since it’s not very common there would be a lack of information. It is also not normal for a squirrel to go on conscious and stop breathing......repeatedly. That indicates to me that there was something else going on and not choking. Squirrels can have congestive heart failure just like humans. This info comes from a squirrel vet. It is very common among dwarf squirrels. They can also suffer from birth defects, like humans, that can compromise vital organs. Because the knowledge of squirrel health specifics is limited, we do our best to help with what we know.

As for you being able to post. You have to be fully registered to post in all forums. If you haven’t done that then it would explain your inability to post in other forums.

As for your rants...we all have things we feel passionate about and some folks like to be sure it is understood where they stand.

5. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

frankc (01-12-2020), Grinderhead (01-12-2020), HRT4SQRLS (01-12-2020), Nancy in New York (01-12-2020), RockyPops (01-12-2020), stepnstone (01-12-2020)

Sounds as if my signature line hit a raw nerve. Sorry but I stand for MY opinions as strongly as you do.

In 16 yrs rehabbing I have never seen what you described in your squirrel. I am sorry for your loss; it may very well have been a congenital heart situation.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

7. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

frankc (01-12-2020), Grinderhead (01-12-2020), HRT4SQRLS (01-12-2020), Mel1959 (01-12-2020), Nancy in New York (01-12-2020), RockyPops (01-12-2020), stepnstone (01-12-2020)

Poky, I’ve been thinking about your post. I take particular exception to this sentence you wrote... This board is full of self promoters, condescenders and elitists. I’ll share. I was raised poor. My husband did 30+ years as an enlisted member of the military. We did not take yearly vacations and did not buy new cars every couple of years. I drove several cars that were 10 years old and had over 100,000 miles on them. We put 3 children through 4 years of college without borrowing a dime. We made many sacrifices. I feel INCREDIBLY fortunate that at this stage of my life we don’t have to pinch pennies. Upon initial look at where we are in our lives now, we would fall into that elitist category that you mention.... but that is not who I am.

I guarantee that there are many folks on this board that have similar stories. I feel very lucky to be able to do what brings me joy....which is rehabbing and providing for my wild friends....and that I have a husband who supports that choice.

9. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

frankc (01-12-2020), HRT4SQRLS (01-12-2020), island rehabber (01-12-2020), RockyPops (01-12-2020)

I forgot to add, we volunteer our time on this forum to help others in any way we can because we feel passionately about squirrels and other furry friends.

11. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

AnaMM (01-13-2020), frankc (01-12-2020), Grinderhead (01-12-2020), HRT4SQRLS (01-12-2020), island rehabber (01-12-2020), Nancy in New York (01-12-2020), RockyPops (01-12-2020)

I had a juvenile that would stop breathing and losing consciousness. I gave rescue breaths and would rub his
    chest. I did this five times and I was not there for the sixth and he died. The problem was, when I performed
    this first aid I had him upright. This went on for a week.
    The first incident was a red flag, the second should have been your wake up call to seek the professional help of a veterinarian.
    Your afterthought;
    "I would give a million dollars to get my squirrel back" should have been your forethought to get him the medical
    attention he needed. Leaving him alone knowing these incidents were occurring was irresponsible on your part.

Your not the first (newbie) to come on this board and attack it's forums and / or it's users over their own short comings, opinions, etc.
    Do understand your as free to delete your account as you were to join.

Grief takes it's toil and the majority here understands the process. Your transference of guilt may make you feel vindicated for the moment.
    It's only temporary! Reality is permanent!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

13. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

frankc (01-12-2020), Grinderhead (01-12-2020), island rehabber (01-12-2020), kathy291 (01-12-2020), Mel1959 (01-12-2020), Nancy in New York (01-12-2020), RockyPops (01-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Poky, I’ve been thinking about your post. I take particular exception to this sentence you wrote... This board is full of self promoters, condescenders and elitists. I’ll share. I was raised poor. My husband did 30+ years as an enlisted member of the military. We did not take yearly vacations and did not buy new cars every couple of years. I drove several cars that were 10 years old and had over 100,000 miles on them. We put 3 children through 4 years of college without borrowing a dime. We made many sacrifices. I feel INCREDIBLY fortunate that at this stage of my life we don’t have to pinch pennies. Upon initial look at where we are in our lives now, we would fall into that elitist category that you mention.... but that is not who I am.

I guarantee that there are many folks on this board that have similar stories. I feel very lucky to be able to do what brings me joy....which is rehabbing and providing for my wild friends....and that I have a husband who supports that choice.
    Wow pat yourself on the back for delayed gratification. You are so special and unique. I would tell you my life story but that would be as irrelevant as your reply.

Wow pat yourself on the back for delayed gratification. You are so special and unique. I would tell you my life story but that would be as irrelevant as your reply.
    I would expect no less than a response like that from you.

You clearly have not reached a level of maturity and self awareness to know when you’ve done or said something wrong.

I hope no squirrel ever has the misfortune of landing in your care again!

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

frankc (01-12-2020), island rehabber (01-12-2020), RockyPops (01-12-2020)

If you want to change things on the TSB, post your thoughts regarding squirrels here. Just like the other members who have volunteered their time and effort over the years. We encourage our members to post up their thoughts, experiences, questions and advice with squirrels. We don't allow unfriendly personal remarks directed to other members. Please keep discussions civil.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

frankc (01-13-2020), island rehabber (01-12-2020), RockyPops (01-12-2020)