Thread: Roxy won't eat her Veggies

Red face Roxy won't eat her Veggies

Roxy hasn't been on the best diet. Ive switched her diet completely using henrys feeding chart. As of now I have given her red cabbage, broccoli,avacoda,kale and carrots. I also tried a piece of a cucumber. She doesn't like her selection of new food. What should I do? Also recommendations on the best calcium blocks or anything else I can order online that will give her the most nutrition. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Roxy won't eat her Veggies

Roxy will be picky for a while be patient and strict with the diet.
    The recommendation rodent block is from Henry's, they also sell the calcium powder.
    I'm not really sure how much additional calcium Roxy needs since she was on a bad diet, but isn't showing mbd symptoms.
    Too much calcium is not good either.
    Someone more experienced can probably help you with that.
    The owner of Henry's is really nice and I have spoken to her over the phone multiple times.
    Their phone number is on their website and she is the go to squirrel nutrition lady.

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lukaslolamaus:

Brandy1527 (01-11-2020), frankc (01-12-2020), Rocky1 (01-11-2020), RockyPops (01-11-2020)

Thanks so much! I know I have to be strict with her diet to get her on the right track. Hopefully she will get use to her new diet and start eating her nutritional veggies soon. She did eat some cucumber (probably not the best out of all? but its a start. I'm going to check out the website and order some things for her. What do you recommend that squirells love the best from Henry's? I really want to get some more weight on her as well!

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Brandy1527:

frankc (01-12-2020), RockyPops (01-11-2020)

Picky blocks or Hazelnut blocks are liked by most squirrels.
    They need to be stored in the freezer on arrival, because there aren't any preservatives, all fresh ingredients.
    2 blocks a day.

7. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lukaslolamaus:

Brandy1527 (01-11-2020), frankc (01-12-2020), Mel1959 (01-11-2020), Mialouise (01-12-2020), Rocky1 (01-11-2020), RockyPops (01-11-2020)

Okay thanks so much!

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Brandy1527:

Mel1959 (01-11-2020), RockyPops (01-11-2020)

Brandy, you may try dandelion greens. They probably grow right in your yard. Rocky loved them from time to time so I'd just go out and pick him some. And don't forget about avocado. No skin or pits. Most squirrels love them.

Edit: Do you have a deer antler or cuttlel bone for her to knaw on?

11. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

Brandy1527 (01-11-2020), lukaslolamaus (01-11-2020), Mel1959 (01-11-2020), Mialouise (01-12-2020)

What did Roxy and Rex’s previous diet consist of? What would they eat on a daily basis?

You have to stay strong. She won’t starve herself. Her eating the rodent block (Henry’s) is very important. Rodent block, of some type, must be the diet foundation for any captive squirrel. In the wild they can balance their nutritional needs and get micro nutrients from dirt, lichen, bark, leaves etc. when we remove them from the wild then it’s our responsibility to provide them with the proper nutrition to keep them healthy.

13. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Brandy1527 (01-11-2020), lukaslolamaus (01-11-2020), Mialouise (01-12-2020), RockyPops (01-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RockyPops View Post
    Brandy, you may try dandelion greens. They probably grow right in your yard. Rocky loved them from time to time so I'd just go out and pick him some. And don't forget about avocado. No skin or pits. Most squirrels love them.

Edit: Do you have a deer antler or cuttlel bone for her to knaw on?
    I don't have any bones at the moment what all types of bones can they knaw on? As of now she has avocado,Brussels sprouts and broccoli to eat in her cage. But the avacoda is the only thing she will eat. Shes being very picky!

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Brandy1527 from:

RockyPops (01-11-2020)

Red face Re: Roxy won't eat her Veggies

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    What did Roxy and Rex’s previous diet consist of? What would they eat on a daily basis?

You have to stay strong. She won’t starve herself. Her eating the rodent block (Henry’s) is very important. Rodent block, of some type, must be the diet foundation for any captive squirrel. In the wild they can balance their nutritional needs and get micro nutrients from dirt, lichen, bark, leaves etc. when we remove them from the wild then it’s our responsibility to provide them with the proper nutrition to keep them healthy.

Mainly fruits which I know now is BAD. Ive taken away the fruits and replaced it with veggies. I have kale, carrots, Brussels sprouts, avacoda, broccoli and red cabbage. I need help choosing the best block for her as I have to suspect she may have MBD and I want to make 100% sure I don't choose a block that will make that worse. The night before Rex became so ill he ate a few pecans and now im terrified of the pecans. So suggestions on the best blocks that will give her best nutrition but not hurt her because I do have to suspect she has MBD. I am giving a small amount of calcium carbonate as well. Just a small piece of a tum and she eats it well. I will invest in calcium carbonate from henrys if you think thats best. Thanks Mel1959. Trying to learn as much as possible so this little girl will stay healthy.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Brandy1527 from:

RockyPops (01-11-2020)

You can find deer antlers in any pet store or order online from a petstore.
    Walmart and tractor supply carries cuttlebones where the pet bird supplies are.
    Limit the avocado to a small piece so she will be more likely to eat other foods that you are offering.
    I'm sure she'll love the Henry's blocks when they arrive.

19. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lukaslolamaus:

Brandy1527 (01-11-2020), Rocky1 (01-11-2020), RockyPops (01-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by lukaslolamaus View Post
    You can find deer antlers in any pet store or order online from a petstore.
    Walmart and tractor supply carries cuttlebones where the pet bird supplies are.
    Limit the avocado to a small piece so she will be more likely to eat other foods that you are offering.
    I'm sure she'll love the Henry's blocks when they arrive.

Thank you I will definatly look into buying some antlers or bones.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Brandy1527 from:

RockyPops (01-11-2020)

Henryspets.com picky blocks are the ones I have had most luck with when the diet hasn't started out so well.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

23. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

Brandy1527 (01-11-2020), lukaslolamaus (01-11-2020), RockyPops (01-11-2020)

The Henrys picky eater or hazelnut blocks would be my first choice because they are best liked. All of Henrys blocks have added vitamins and calcium so they are equal in that regard.

You can either get calcium carbonate from a Henrys or if you have a health food store nearby you can purchase NOW brand of calcium carbonate. Both of these only contain calcium so whichever you choose will be fine, but do not get any calcium that also contains Vitamin D. Too much vitamin D is toxic. Calcium in powdered form like this is nice because you can sprinkle it on their food and they eat it without knowing. It has no taste.

You are correct in being frightened of any nuts right now. The pecans are what probably sent Rex over the edge. Roxy absolutely must be treated for MBD, because she undoubtedly has it and nuts could send her over the edge, too.

25. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Brandy1527 (01-11-2020), lukaslolamaus (01-11-2020), Mialouise (01-12-2020), RockyPops (01-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Henryspets.com picky blocks are the ones I have had most luck with when the diet hasn't started out so well.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    The Henrys picky eater or hazelnut blocks would be my first choice because they are best liked. All of Henrys blocks have added vitamins and calcium so they are equal in that regard.

You can either get calcium carbonate from a Henrys or if you have a health food store nearby you can purchase NOW brand of calcium carbonate. Both of these only contain calcium so whichever you choose will be fine, but do not get any calcium that also contains Vitamin D. Too much vitamin D is toxic. Calcium in powdered form like this is nice because you can sprinkle it on their food and they eat it without knowing. It has no taste.

You are correct in being frightened of any nuts right now. The pecans are what probably sent Rex over the edge. Roxy absolutely must be treated for MBD, because she undoubtedly has it and nuts could send her over the edge, too.
    Thank you for this information. Yes I'm terrified of nuts right now but I'm going to order the picky eater blocks and get the powder calcium carbonate.

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Brandy1527 from:

RockyPops (01-11-2020)

Here is the thread on how to deal with a picky eater
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...h-Picky-Eaters

This is something you can go by once you have the blocks.

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lukaslolamaus from:

RockyPops (01-12-2020)

I bought antlers for my wild pets a while back at Petco in the dog section. I cannot remember every detail about why, and am unsure if it was exactly necessary, but at the time, I opted to boil mine for 2 hours, then let them cool off overnight before serving them to my furry gray friends. Since I went to the pet store that might have been unnecessary. Please feel free to provide your opinions.

PS The antlers were popular! Squirrels liked them.

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rocky1 from:

RockyPops (01-12-2020)

Fruits aren't bad, yet a diet of fruits alone isn't balanced.

Feeding small portions of no more than 1/2 Tsp. dally alternating fruit and vegetables sources is best.

* Most tree fruits with pit or seed, and skin removed (alkaline promoting in the urine)

(no kiwi, star fruit, or Asian Pears or dried fruits)

Melons, Apples, Oranges, Peaches, Plums (yellow or green varieties), Apricots, Black Cherries,

Tangerines, Sour Cherries, seedless red and green grapes sliced (no purple grapes)

Berries (acidic promoting in the urine, (2 to 3 Tsp.) daily to support a slightly acidic mean urine ph.

Recommend: Bilberries, loganberries, Huckleberries, wild Blueberries, cranberries

Frozen then thawed as freezing makes these berries ripe to eat.

Sources online "Oregon Mushroom" (Best ordered in the winter to reduce shipping time to one day)

Organic 'Baby/ immature'' Leafy Greens

Blanch or boil organic baby greens blanch 90 sec.

Lettuces, Kale, Watercress, Escarole, Arugula, Radicchio

Heavier leafy greens boil up to five minutes

Turnip Greens - boiled 3 t 5 minutes

Japanese Mustard Spinach (Turnip family not a spinach) boiled 3 to 5 min.

Stalked Vegetable Florets , boil 15 min.

Broccoli florets

Cauliflower florets

Broccoflower florets (hybrid)

Kohlrabi

Root vegetables (scrubbed cut up small pieces) boil up to 20 minutes

Parsnips, Turnips, Rutabagas, Carrots, Chicory Root, Dandelion root (small roots - shorter boil time)

Pulses (frozen) boiled 15 min.

Baby Green Peas

Sugar Snap Peas

Snow Peas

Green Snap Beans

Baked winter squashes:

Acorn Squash, Butternut Squash, Cinderella type pumpkins (not field pumpkins)

I don't recommend tubers, as these, unlike those in the wild were bred for their high carb content.
    They are also very high in the calcium reducing anti nutrient known as (oxalic acid).

[Excerpt from my Squirrel Research Diet: "Organic Whole Foods Diet for Tree Squirrels cared for in Captivity" by Squirlsrus - for personal use only."]

*Excerpt from:

"Organic Whole Foods Diet for N.A. Tree Squirrels Cared for in Captivity'' "All Rights Reserved"
    Personal intellectual copy write property of, "Squirlsrus"; one copy per person for personal-private is granted

with no other replications allowed.
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 01-12-2020 at 06:54 PM.

34. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

frankc (01-12-2020), RockyPops (01-12-2020)

How is Roxy?

36. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lukaslolamaus:

Diggie's Friend (01-16-2020), MapleRidgesquirrel (01-15-2020), RockyPops (01-15-2020)