Thread: Advice Needed with Injured Wild

Default Advice Needed with Injured Wild

Hi Everyone - First time I've posted on TSB but thanks to everyone for such a helpful and informative site! I'm hoping some experts could help me with advice on one of our favorite wild squirrels Freddy. Freddy showed up last Sunday with a badly injured left hind leg. The foot was skinned raw, almost as if it got it caught somewhere or was pulling his foot away from a predator. He wasn’t putting any weight on the leg and hopping around on 3 limbs. On both Sunday and Monday, he was falling forward when he sat down to eat a nut. During these falls, it looked like his injured hind leg would gradually start to bow inwards when he was sitting, leading me to think his foot might be broken. The falling episodes have improved significantly, over the last two days he’s only caught himself falling forward once or twice.
    From what we’ve observed, he hops over to us from his tree den about 300 ft away and this is all he can manage on most days. We’ve tried to put food and water closer to his den, but he hasn’t found the resources and is set on coming to our back porch. His foot doesn’t appear infected and until today his behavior seemed normal despite his discomfort. When he showed up this afternoon, he was eating slower than normal and really struggled to get back to his den. We’ve been walking with him back to his den since we have hawks flying by routinely. Halfway back to his home this afternoon, he stopped along the neighbor’s fence and his eyes started to close. I became very worried because he usually wants to get back to the den ASAP and hasn’t done anything like this before. I immediately called the local wildlife rescue and they recommended that tomorrow I throw a towel over him, put him in a dark box and take him to local vet whom they’ve had “good experiences with”. I asked if they euthanize and the woman said only for compound fractures and other devastating injuries. I am located in northern VA and the rehabilitators that I found (and also located from TSB) seem to be associated with the group that I spoke with today.
    I am terrified about the concept of throwing a towel on him and taking him to a vet. Part of me feels like he could have been utterly exhausted today and just needed to take a 20-30 minute break on the fence. The other part of me felt that something else was wrong, his behavior was lethargic, and he seemed in really bad shape. He was gone once I went looking for a towel and box and I’m relatively confident he made it back to the den. I’ve attached a few pictures of Freddy’s injury. If anyone can recommend the best course of action here I’d really appreciate it. I have zero experience with trapping. Many thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TS10019:

frankc (01-09-2020), RockyPops (01-09-2020)

Default Re: Advice Needed with Injured Wild

Thank you for worrying about Freddy. I think if you don’t catch him and take him somewhere Freddy is doomed to being predator food. Healthy squirrels won’t stop to take a rest returning to their drey, especially if they know they’re already compromised. Before you proceed with catching him, you must have a plan and a cage or animal carrier to put him in. I’m not sure a box is a good choice, but if that’s all you have, then it’s better than nothing. There are several TSB members in or near Virginia. I hope one of them can offer additional help.

4. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

frankc (01-09-2020), Mialouise (01-09-2020), RockyPops (01-09-2020), tgramsey (01-09-2020), TS10019 (01-09-2020)

I directed a TSB member to this thread for possible help.

6. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

frankc (01-09-2020), Mialouise (01-09-2020), RockyPops (01-09-2020), TS10019 (01-09-2020)

Oh my goodness. I am really praying that someone near you who can lend a hand chimes in here! Although I haven't encountered a situation like this with any of my backyard buddies, I've imagined what it would be like to have to make a choice like this. The idea of having to trap them worries me too, but I agree with what Mel said above- it looks like he really needs your help.

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mialouise:

frankc (01-09-2020), RockyPops (01-09-2020), TS10019 (01-09-2020)

Poor baby. As for trapping, the chances of getting him in a live trap are probably pretty slim. You'd catch every other animal in your yard first. I've caught an injured wild with a blanket in the past. If he is slow, that's an option to consider. Just have a cage ready to go. After catching, do you have Metacam? That's what I'd start with - for pain and swelling. You can put it on a nut. You can do that even if you don't catch him. Hopefully someone will come up with a friendly vet in your area. Thanks for helping him!

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to tgramsey:

frankc (01-10-2020), RockyPops (01-09-2020), TS10019 (01-09-2020)

Thank you Mel, Mialouise and tgramsey for the responses. I’ll get over to the pet store and get a carrier for him. I don’t have Metacam or anything to help his pain & swelling. I’ve been giving him a few nuts lightly coated with coconut oil and sprinkling Henry’s Vitamins on top. Figured some extra vitamins are better than nothing but I have nothing for him once he’s trapped. I’m going to call the recommended Vet in the AM and feel them out. It would be great to know a trusted rehabilitator in No. Virginia because my biggest fear is putting him through the stress of trapping and then the vet decides to euthanize.

12. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TS10019:

frankc (01-10-2020), Mialouise (01-09-2020), RockyPops (01-10-2020), tgramsey (01-09-2020)

Please keep us updated!

14. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mialouise:

frankc (01-10-2020), RockyPops (01-10-2020), tgramsey (01-09-2020), TS10019 (01-10-2020)

If you are in or around Richmond I have a vet who will help. There is also a vet in New Kent who sees squirrels. He’s wild so being captured will be crazy stressful for him BUT wilds have been successfully treated and released. There are also members near Northern VA who have cared for wilds and successfully released them back home. Providing an easy source of food and water is helping him immensely. If capture isn’t an option, you can see if a little infant ibuprofen on a pecan half will give the little guy some pain relief. The foot looks swollen but clean as far as I can see. I have treated a wild with an injury with ABs by putting that on a nut piece. Just need to make sure your guy gets it—and of course doseing is pretty much hit or miss in that situation. Are there places he can hide close by?

PS: Several years ago one of the outside squirrels here got her leg skinned up pretty bad. She was treated via pecan half—which she learned to come for—and healed. Squirrels are amazing healers with a little help from their friends.

16. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

frankc (01-10-2020), Mialouise (01-10-2020), RockyPops (01-10-2020), TS10019 (01-10-2020)

Thanks for the response and advice chickenlegs. I’m about an hour and half north of Richmond but Redwuff is close by and was extremely helpful over the phone. Freddy didn’t show up today but I’m confident we have a good plan in place to help him. He gets to our backyard by traversing the back alley fence line so he doesn’t have great hiding options especially considering the big tree between his den and our backyard is where the hawks like to hang out. We’ve been fortunate enough to be home each visit since the injury which allows for his own personal security detail back to the den. Unfortunately he would be very exposed on the fence if a Cooper or Redtail were perched in their usual spot and we weren’t with him. Hoping he’ll be feeling better in the AM with the warm front coming through and he’ll make an AM appearance.

18. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TS10019:

Mialouise (01-10-2020), redwuff (01-10-2020), RockyPops (01-10-2020), tgramsey (01-10-2020)

Any sightings? Praying for that sweet boy
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

RockyPops (01-13-2020), TS10019 (01-11-2020)

No sign of him all day
    Thought about your question redwuff and he did skip one day this week in terms of his daily visits. I know two days gone isn’t a good sign but going to stay optimistic. I have his Ibuprofen, snack and carrier ready to go. Lots of people (and dogs) are outside enjoying the weather, maybe all the noises are keeping him in his den.

Thanks again for all the help and dosing info. Keep you posted this weekend.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TS10019 from:

RockyPops (01-13-2020)

Well the good news is that Freddy showed up but it was just after I had left the house. My wife tried to keep him there with treats and when I got back to the house, we were able to get him to eat one ibuprofen pecan before he decided to leave. The odd part was that I lost him immediately when he jumped into the neighbors yard. I usually walk around to the back alley and give him some time to get to the fence line where I meet him and walk him back to the den. I can’t find him anywhere. The neighbors two houses down from his den are using a buzz saw so maybe he’s hiding out until things quiet down. I thought he seemed in better spirits today. Moving quicker but still no weight on the leg. Foot looks the same, no infection. Hoping the pain meds help him get to his den easier and fingers crossed he shows up tomorrow. Very thankful to see him.

24. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TS10019:

frankc (01-11-2020), MapleRidgesquirrel (01-11-2020), Mel1959 (01-11-2020), Mialouise (01-12-2020), redwuff (01-12-2020), RockyPops (01-13-2020), tgramsey (01-11-2020)

No sign of Freddy last two days but staying positive we'll see him tomorrow. I was hoping some experienced TSB members/rehabors could advise on our trap. We couldn't bring ourselves to throw a towel on him and capture him by hand on Saturday so I went back to the pet store to see what I could use. I found an outdoor ferret pen (with roof) at the pet store. I know we can easily enclose the pen around him with the cat carrier inside. We have a string attached to the cat carrier door and figured he would eventually settle down once inside the pen and move into the cat carrier. We also have the ability to slowly shrink down the pen size if he doesn't move into the carrier. I'm wondering if we are we giving him to much space initially to hurt himself? Anything else I'm missing that could further injure him? I've attached a pic of the setup along with my two favorite pics of Freddy. Any advice would be appreciated as always.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TS10019:

AnaMM (01-13-2020), RockyPops (01-13-2020)

Thank you for working so hard to help Freddy!

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

TS10019 (01-14-2020)

It may take a while for him to set foot in a new space like that, but hopefully it will work out soon for you and Freddie. Is the top secure? He will probably freak at first and try to bite his way out. Good luck! Sure hope he shows!

30. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to tgramsey:

RockyPops (01-14-2020), TS10019 (01-14-2020)

Freddy is beautiful. Sending positive thoughts your way!

32. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mialouise:

RockyPops (01-14-2020), TS10019 (01-14-2020)

Freddy is a beautiful boy.

Any changes in his condition? Tgramsey had a good questions, “is the top secure?” on the ferret cage. The bottom looks pretty loose and I wonder how you would close the door quickly and secure enough to prevent an escape. Then if Freddy does go into the little cat carrier how will you go into the big cage and get the carrier’s door closed. Just some thoughts.

When we tnr feral cats, a feeding station is set up around the trap eventually feeding so the cats have to enter the trap that has a door tied open. It does not take long til they are comfortable with the trap. Then it is set so the cat is caught.

Catching a squirrel I have something like that in mind. I have caught in cat carriers and raccoon size live traps. What they call squirrel traps are too small.

Hope that helps.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

34. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

MapleRidgesquirrel (01-15-2020), RockyPops (01-14-2020), TS10019 (01-14-2020)