Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help. Lethargic 4 month grey squirell.

Default Re: Help. Lethargic 4 month grey squirell.

Poor little guy, he definitely looks dehydrated to me.
    Has he been drinking and eating today?
    How many doses of calcium have you given him since starting the mbd treatment?
    Would you like to see if we have a member in your area to see if they can help?

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lukaslolamaus:

frankc (01-09-2020), RockyPops (01-09-2020), TubeDriver (01-09-2020)

I can't figure out how to do a video. Rex has been a healthy boy but he has lost weight recently.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Brandy1527 from:

frankc (01-09-2020)

Im in kings mountain NC are there anyone close by that can help me with him? Maybe look at him and give me advice.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Brandy1527:

frankc (01-09-2020), lukaslolamaus (01-09-2020), RockyPops (01-09-2020)

I think lukaslolamaus is trying to get someone with more experience to take a look as well as find someone near you.

Meanwhile she had questions about food and water and calcium intake today? That info may help!

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

frankc (01-09-2020), lukaslolamaus (01-09-2020)

I am moving this to the Emergency Life Threatening forum. lukaslolamaus is very experienced with MBD but these symptoms and his appearance in the photos suggest there might be something additional going on here. I would 100% absolutely continue to follow lukaslolamaus's advice for MBD and hope some extra eyes on this might have some suggestions for what else could be going on? Can you get a weight for him?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

I'm at a Dr appt right now. Im sick myself. But my little guy is going down hill fast. I have given him 3 split doses today of calcium about 100 mg each dose. I have had to force him to take it. He has refused water and food. His diet has mainly consisted of fruits and veggies. Carrots. Apples. Grapes.(just a few of his favorites) He also recently started eating pecans seems like he has went down since I gave him pecans a few days ago. I'm extremely concerned and would be more than willing to get him to see some one for a check and advice. Im located in kings mountain nc. He had 500 mg calcium last night as I suspected MBD. He has a high heart rate and rapid breathing along with a clicking noise from his nose.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Brandy1527:

frankc (01-09-2020), RockyPops (01-09-2020)

Is he pooping and peeing? Regularly? Today?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy1527 View Post
    I'm at a Dr appt right now. Im sick myself. But my little guy is going down hill fast. I have given him 3 split doses today of calcium about 100 mg each dose. I have had to force him to take it. He has refused water and food. His diet has mainly consisted of fruits and veggies. Carrots. Apples. Grapes.(just a few of his favorites) He also recently started eating pecans seems like he has went down since I gave him pecans a few days ago. I'm extremely concerned and would be more than willing to get him to see some one for a check and advice. Im located in kings mountain nc. He had 500 mg calcium last night as I suspected MBD. He has a high heart rate and rapid breathing along with a clicking noise from his nose.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Brandy, I believe Rex definitely has MBD so you should continue the treatment.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-MBD-Treatment

The clicking is a different issue. I don’t think it is wise to wait to determine if this is indeed pneumonia. Clicking, lack of appetite and lethargy are symptoms of pneumonia so treating now is imperative. We can’t wait to determine if the clicking is nasal or chest. They crash VERY fast. When you get home please post the concentration of the cefdinir. Also, is it expired? I believe you mentioned it was a liquid. If it is in date I will dose it based on 300g but an accurate weight would be better. He looks very small from the pic. Is he the same size as his sister? She needs calcium also.

You should order the blocks from Henry’s today. The picky eater block is my personal favorite. All of mine eat it well.
    https://www.henryspets.com/picky-blo...rats-and-mice/

Was he on PetLac formula?

This is the link to the healthy diet for captive squirrels.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

16. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Brandy1527 (01-09-2020), frankc (01-09-2020), lukaslolamaus (01-09-2020), RockyPops (01-09-2020)

One of the problems is that the calcium can't be properly processed when the baby is not eating. It can also upset their tummies.
    Has he been peeing and pooping?
    I'm wondering if the broken down calcium doses are too high since he appears to be a little guy.
    What strength tums are you using again, and they don't contain the additional vitamin D correct?
    I agree with Tubedriver that there most likely is something else going on in addition.
    Weight also plays a key role in the MBD treatment as well. I dosed my first mbd patients lower doses of calcium due to her size than my second patient.

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lukaslolamaus:

OK your treating for MBD. The other two possibilities I see may be pain (liquid Infant Ibuprofen), or Aspiration Pneumonia (Antibiotics). While waiting for other responses you may try to see what you can get.

I saw where you posted one ot two on another post but I don't know antibiotics. And pain meds as well as Ab's need to be dosed per body weight. Or maybe someone can guesstimate weight.

Edit: Thank goodness the cal-very has arrived!

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

Brandy1527 (01-09-2020), frankc (01-09-2020)

This boy is in serious condition! He does appear dehydrated.
    If he's clicking he needs antibiotics. If he's still bloated he should be given simethicone. (gasX)

I suspect with Tractor supply he's also been on an improper formula, many times the wrong formula
    winds up sitting like undigested sludge in their system resulting in bloat/ constipation. Bloat can kill!
    Continuing to feed the wrong formula would not be helping this situation either. A squirrel with bloat
    should not be fed until the bloat is resolved. Hydrating drop by drop if necessary may help to move
    his system. Please Post a picture of the formula you have been using.

You also suggest he went down further after being fed pecans. If he does have mbd, feeding nuts
    would make it worse as nuts draw calcium from the body and likely depleting any reserve he may
    have had. If he's been unable to digest them properly they have added to the bloat.

I do hope you can find someone who can assess this little one or even get him to a safe vet.
    His appearance is extremely serious and urgent.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

22. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Brandy1527 (01-09-2020), frankc (01-09-2020), lukaslolamaus (01-09-2020), RockyPops (01-09-2020)

If you can’t get him to eat, you can try the calcium in peanut butter balls as described in the MBD protocol.
    Of course, peanut butter isn’t healthy but if it will get the calcium into him, use it. Almond butter would be better.

Try avocado. They rarely reject avocado.
    Will he take formula? You can make formula with goats milk, heavy cream and yogurt.

24. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Do we have anyone near Kings Mountain, NC who can help or has a squirrel friendly vet contact?

26. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lukaslolamaus:

Brandy1527 (01-09-2020), frankc (01-09-2020), RockyPops (01-09-2020)

The female is the same size as him. Maybe a little longer. Okay with all the info what do I need to do as soon as I get back home??? I can give dosage of antibiotic when i get home. He is very small. Should i try so.e pedialyte as well?? How much calcium should i give him once I get home. And foods to try and get him to eat. I will also pick up some childrens ibuprophen on my way home. I will check back in with you guys as soon as i get home and go from there with a plan. Thanks so much you guys I will be heart broken (I already am though) if he doesn't pull thru.

28. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Brandy1527:

Also can pneumonia cause fast heart rate?

30. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Brandy1527:

I don't have experience with pneumonia or dosing meds.
    Be sure to pick up infant (not children 's) ibuprofen and infant gasx if he is still bloated and a scale.
    Sending prayers for little Rex, I hope someone close to you can be found to help.
    Have you ordered blocks yet?

32. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lukaslolamaus:

I have cefdinir oral suspension 250mg/5ml. Can someone estimate his size and send me a dose for him. I just got home I stopped by my local Wal-Mart and found no weight I asked a manager as well. My husband is going out for infant ibuprophen. Ill send a pic od him beside a can so someone can get a better idea od what he weighs. Thanks so much.

34. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Brandy1527:

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Brandy, I believe Rex definitely has MBD so you should continue the treatment.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-MBD-Treatment

The clicking is a different issue. I donít think it is wise to wait to determine if this is indeed pneumonia. Clicking, lack of appetite and lethargy are symptoms of pneumonia so treating now is imperative. We canít wait to determine if the clicking is nasal or chest. They crash VERY fast. When you get home please post the concentration of the cefdinir. Also, is it expired? I believe you mentioned it was a liquid. If it is in date I will dose it based on 300g but an accurate weight would be better. He looks very small from the pic. Is he the same size as his sister? She needs calcium also.

You should order the blocks from Henryís today. The picky eater block is my personal favorite. All of mine eat it well.
    https://www.henryspets.com/picky-blo...rats-and-mice/

Was he on PetLac formula?

This is the link to the healthy diet for captive squirrels.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Can you give a dosage based on this pic?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

36. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Brandy1527:

I don't have a scale. Its cefdinir oral suspension 250mg/5ml

38. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Brandy1527:

Is it expired?

40. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast