Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help. Lethargic 4 month grey squirell.

Default Help. Lethargic 4 month grey squirell.

I have a male 4-5 month old grey squirell. Hes bloated (like hes ate too much) . Very lethargic. I noticed today he wasn't acting him self. He also has a elevated heart rate. He did eat earlier but he seems to be going downhill. Please help! What do I need to do? He did use the bathroom when I picked him up earlier so I don't think that's it. Hes usually very active and a normal healthy squirell. (Except today) Not sure what to do. I don't want to loose him. ��
    Last edited by Brandy1527; 01-08-2020 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Left out a symptom.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Brandy1527:

frankc (01-09-2020), RockyPops (01-08-2020)

Default Re: Help. Lethargic 4 month grey squirell.

Hey Brandy1527 and welcome to TSB.

Sorry your baby's having problems.

There's a lot of folks on TSB with lots of knowledge that can help you.

Can you give more info? Any recent photos?

What diet is he on? Do you know about Metabolic Bone Disease?

Can you weigh him in case med dosage is indicated?

Please check back here oftenfor advice!

You said he used the bathroom...poop or pee?

Also, what formula was he raised on? Esbilac?

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

frankc (01-09-2020)

It was a puppy formula from tractor supply I know for sure it wasnt that formula. . He pooped (it was quite large) I know a little about metabolic bone disease. His diet is fruits and veggies. He loves carrots,apples,grapes,tomatoes,pecans.etc. . He is very lethargic and I'm very concerned. I have no way to weigh him though. He has a sister I am raising as well his name is Rex and she is Roxy. She is doing great so im very confused about whats going on with him. I have noticed he seems to have a elevated heart rate i can see his little heart beating. Hes not jumping around as usual he is just sitting around.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Brandy1527:

frankc (01-09-2020), RockyPops (01-09-2020)

Here is the link to Henry's pets page.
    You can read up on healthy diet and MBD, symptoms and how to treat.

Does their diet include a rodent block or just the foods you have listed?
    The formula they have been on could be a factor as well.

https://www.henryspets.com/henrys-healthy-diets/

Keep checking back for more help and keep us updated on your boy.

Is he still bloated?
    A scale to weigh him will definitely be needed in case he ends up needing meds.
    Pictures can also be very helpful.

Could he have gotten into something that made him sick? How long ago did his symptoms start?

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lukaslolamaus:

Brandy1527 (01-09-2020), frankc (01-09-2020)

Symptoms started about 24 hours ago. He is still bloated this am. I have already took it upon myself to start emergency treatment for MBD. Im using tums for now until I can get calcium carbonate capsules. There's no significant improvement this morning but hes not gotten worse either. I will see if I can get him weighed but I don't have a scale. I suspect it is MBD after doing my own research and based on his symptoms. He isn't as bloated this am as he was last night!

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Brandy1527:

Quote Originally Posted by lukaslolamaus View Post
    Here is the link to Henry's pets page.
    You can read up on healthy diet and MBD, symptoms and how to treat.

Does their diet include a rodent block or just the foods you have listed?
    The formula they have been on could be a factor as well.

https://www.henryspets.com/henrys-healthy-diets/

Keep checking back for more help and keep us updated on your boy.

Is he still bloated?
    A scale to weigh him will definitely be needed in case he ends up needing meds.
    Pictures can also be very helpful.

Could he have gotten into something that made him sick? How long ago did his symptoms start?

Reply from Brandy---- he hasn't gotten into anything that i know of. He isn't on rodent blocks can you give me more info on this and more info on a healthier diet please. I'm new to this they are my 1st rescues in 10 years and I sure don't wanna loose them. Roxy is well its rex that im concerned about. All I have for now is tums 500mg I crushed 1 tablet and made a paste as henrys emergency treatment suggested for further treatment what would be my best option to getting calcium in him? I gave him a 2nd treatment last night but a smaller dose and he has had another treatment this am. I crushed it and made a paste and added it to a bit of left over formula i had. Should I also do Pedialyte I have so many questions I want him to improve amd not go down hill. Also how can I weigh him? I have no scale. Also I had to force him to take the treatment he didn't like it at all. But I have seen improvement this morning he is still lethargic and not himself but he has moved around a bit more and when I got him out of his cage he crawled up my arm onto my shoulder which je wouldn't do last night. Also the blocks what are they exactly and will squirrels eat them good? Thanks so much im trying to learn as much as can so they will both be healthy and he can recover. Am I doing all the right things? Oh and his diet mainly consist of what I mentioned so if you can send me a link or something on a better diet please do so. I'm eager to learn! Thanks so much!

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Brandy1527:

Can you give us the name of the puppy formula?

The bloat is worrisome. I think infant gasx can be given, but I don't know how much.
    I have only treated for mbd twice and there wasn't any bloat in either.

Be sure that the tums don't contain any vitamin D,
    Tums come in different strengths, you can go to Henry's and the labels are listed, and show how much essential calcium is in each tums very.
    Again be sure that there is no added vitamin D.

Definitely check for signs of dehydration. You can give pedialyte or make a homemade pedialyte solution.

If they are not on a rodent block, you need to order some immediately. Most people recommend the blocks from Henry's ( the picky blocksand hazelnut block are well liked by most squirrels). They need to eat 2 blocks a day in addition to healthy veggies. Fruits and nuts need to be limited.
    While on mbd treatment absolutely no nuts.
    They also sell the calcium powder without vitamin D.
    When you place an order you can write something in the comment section mentioning that you are a new member of TSB and that you have a sick squirrel.
    If they are still interested in formula I would order some fox valley formula 20/50 in addition to the block.
    The owner of Henry's is very knowledgeable about the nutrition needs of squirrels. There is a phone number listed on their page and I have spoken to her on multiple occasions.

I hope that this info helps you.

Here is the link with the squirrel food pyramid including with foods to avoid.

15. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lukaslolamaus:

Brandy1527 (01-09-2020), Chirps (01-09-2020), frankc (01-09-2020), Nancy in New York (01-09-2020), RockyPops (01-09-2020), TubeDriver (01-09-2020)

Here is the link for the food pyramid https://www.henryspets.com/healthy-d...pet-squirrels/
    ....sorry

You can get a digital gram scale at Walmart, target or similar store.

17. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lukaslolamaus:

Brandy1527 (01-09-2020), frankc (01-09-2020), RockyPops (01-09-2020)

Rex may be in pain if it is MBD. May want to get liquid Infant Ibuprofen. Get it dosed (again by weight) prior to giving it.

A good whole body picture next to a common household item (coke can etc) may help with weight guesstimate until you can get a scale.

And if Roxy had the same diet, you may want to start her on tums as well.

The Henry's Healthy Blocks should be their main food source. It has most all they need.

19. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

Brandy1527 (01-09-2020), frankc (01-09-2020), HRT4SQRLS (01-09-2020), lukaslolamaus (01-09-2020), Nancy in New York (01-09-2020)

A drop or two of infant Gasx can be given for the bloat.

The picky eater or hazelnut blocks from Henrys Pets online are usually readily accepted. Feed 2-3 blocks per day along with healthy veggies and limited fruits from the healthy squirrel diet.

You don’t mention if you are feeding nuts and seeds? Feeding an abundance of these can cause MBD and while you are treating for MBD they should be avoided.

You might place a heating pad set on low UNDER their cage where they can’t get to it to chew on it, but where they can access the warmth. MBD is painful and the warmth is soothing.

21. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Brandy1527 (01-09-2020), Chirps (01-09-2020), frankc (01-09-2020), RockyPops (01-09-2020)

THIS is the food you want: https://www.henryspets.com/diets/ Choose between the first three items. I would strongly recommend the hazelnut blocks and the picky blocks. These are designed to be TASTY and to also act as both diet and supplement. 2 per day provide all they need as far as vitamins and minerals.

You want to cease feeding nuts and seeds and when he gets his hands on these he will probably eat them well. When he is better he can have treats added back in in SMALL amounts but not now.

23. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Brandy1527 (01-09-2020), frankc (01-09-2020), RockyPops (01-09-2020)

Thanks so much for all the information. I have started hearing a clicking noise when i put his little nose up against my ear. What could this be? I don't understand how it could be aspirating pneumonia. He's still about the same today not much progress. Should I be conncerned about this? I will get a weight today so I can weigh him.

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Brandy1527:

Is the clicking coming from his nose or chest?
    Do you have any antibiotics on hand just in case?

27. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lukaslolamaus:

frankc (01-09-2020), Mel1959 (01-09-2020), RockyPops (01-09-2020)

Hold him up to your ear like a phone and listen to his lungs for a clicking with each breath.

29. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chirps (01-09-2020), frankc (01-09-2020), RockyPops (01-09-2020)

I hear the clicking mainly from his nose wjen i listen to his chest I just hear his heart beating. Im going to get a digital scale today in a few hours after a dr appt. I do have few antibiotics not sure which ones I can look. What would be best to give if I have it? I know I have amoxocilin and cefdinir that is liquid it was for my 6 year old its left over. I can't figure out how to post a photo I'm using my phone as i don't have a computer. How can i post a photo of my little guy? He is currently sitting on my shoulder!

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Brandy1527 from:

frankc (01-09-2020)

You can post pictures from your phone.
    Scroll down to where it says manage attachments, click on it and follow the directions from there....sorry I'm not better at explaining.
    I'm not even sure if a antibiotic is needed.

33. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lukaslolamaus:

Brandy1527 (01-09-2020), frankc (01-09-2020)

This is Rex .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

35. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Brandy1527:

frankc (01-09-2020), MapleRidgesquirrel (01-09-2020), RockyPops (01-09-2020)

Oh my. Rex looks bad to me.

Either dehydrated, malnourished, in pain or all three!

Can you put him down and get a picture or better yet a short video showing his movements?

And if it is MBD, try to not let him climb and run and jump as he could easily break bones.

Someone with more knowledge than I will check in soon.

Poor Rex.

37. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

frankc (01-09-2020), lukaslolamaus (01-09-2020), Mialouise (01-09-2020), TubeDriver (01-09-2020)

If you try a video you can post it to youtube and copy and post the link to it on TSB.

39. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

frankc (01-09-2020), lukaslolamaus (01-09-2020)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast