Thread: Are these recipes good?

Default Are these recipes good?

https://squirrelenthusiast.com/homem...irrel_Biscuits

The website above has five recipes. I’ve been in contact with the guy from the last video, and his recipe is very similar to another that I found using the KAL dolomite powder and such. I wanted to try a couple of the others, but I’d like some input before I make them and give him something that isn’t good for him.

Thanks!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mommasika from:

RockyPops (01-03-2020)

Default Re: Are these recipes good?

I believe you are asking about a captive squirrel, and if that is the case the answer is an emphatic No! The author even mentions these to be treats for "backyard friends".

Edit: Except for Recipe #2 Recipe! (Thank you HRT4SQRLS... I scanned through them and completely missed #2! I know I scrolled up (from the link) to number one because I remember the suet... and stopped reading the rest of that one's ingredients! LoL).

Captive squirrels have much different needs than wild (backyard) squirrels. Those backyard squirrels have access to all kinds of wild foods to balance their diet... captive squirrels have only what they are given.

I am confident feeding these recipes will result in a "picky eater" and eventually MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease).

They have lots of sugar and lots of other things that are not good for squirrels.

Here is the healthy captive squirrel diet:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels
    Last edited by Spanky; 01-03-2020 at 05:46 PM.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

frankc (01-04-2020), RockyPops (01-03-2020)

The #2 Recipe is OK. It is the recipe for Henry’s Healthy Blocks. You can either purchase them at Henrys Healthy Pets or you can use this recipe to make your own.

6. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Diggie's Friend (01-04-2020), frankc (01-04-2020), Mel1959 (01-03-2020), RockyPops (01-03-2020), Spanky (01-03-2020), stepnstone (01-03-2020)

Thank you! I order the blocks from Henry's already. And yes, it is for an inside squirrel.

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mommasika:

Diggie's Friend (01-04-2020), HRT4SQRLS (01-04-2020), RockyPops (01-04-2020)

If you encounter resistance to the acceptance of this block, try adding this organic human food grade Chia oil from, "Foods Alive"; for it's nutty taste and aroma has increased the appeal of rodent block for those that are more picky eaters. It is also a, 'nutraceutical' seed oil, that is high in Omega 3 fatty acids. Add two drops, one each per piece of rodent block daily.

https://foodsalive.com/products/orga...il-foods-alive

Another healthy seed oil, when added to this block, has increased its taste appeal for some of the more picky squirrels. Pumpkin seed oil has been found in rat research to lend significant health support to both the liver and urinary tract in male and female rats. This source is one of the most pure on the planet, grown organic in Oregon; recommend adding just one drop daily to the block or to baked Butternut or Acorn squash.

https://www.seedoilcompany.com/pumpkin-seed-oil.html

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Anne (01-07-2020), RockyPops (01-05-2020), tgramsey (06-13-2020)