Thread: (young)Squirrel with hardly any fur on tail?

Compassion71 Guest

Question (young)Squirrel with hardly any fur on tail?

Hi, all. I'm new to the forum. What a great forum it is!

My question concerns a baby/juvenile squirrel that lives in the attic of the house next door to me. Actually, it's more like him and his three siblings. I'm guesstimating that they're around ten weeks old (or older). They are all super active - running, jumping and climbing all over the place. As well as very good at knowing how to bury nuts. Ive tried to get an idea of how old they are by looking at pictures and reading descriptions, online. I'm confused though. It seems that going by their activity level they are older than ten weeks - but, going by their appearance, I'm not sure. Two of the squirrels seem to have lightly filled out tails, kinda on the whispy side. The other two, and especially one of them, barely have any fur on their tails. They're all from the same litter, and roughly the same body size. The one that I'm specifically concerned about seems to have a little fur at the end of its tail, and that's it. Very odd. I'm presuming that it might be the runt of the litter. It acts fine, and is just as lively as the others, but I'm wondering why its tail is like that. I worry about it being warm enough. I've been feeding them for the past few weeks now; since I've seen them. I've been giving them almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds and (some) peanuts. I'm going to try some fruits and veggies this week. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you might know what's going on with the tail situation. I've read that mange can cause tail issues, but the squirrel looks and acts healthy overall. I did notice today that this same one has a pinkish belly, very little fur on it. I haven't seen the other squirrels bellies, so I'm not sure if that's normal at its age?

Sorry for the really long post, I'm new at this. Thanks for reading. :)

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Compassion71 from:

RockyPops (12-22-2019)

Default Re: (young)Squirrel with hardly any fur on tail?

Hi and welcome

A picture would be excellent but I guess mites would be the first thing I would guess. You could put a drop of revolution on a pecan. Replete in 10 days.

Thanks for looking out for these guys.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

RockyPops (12-22-2019)

Any way to get close enough for a good picture? Or better yet, a video?

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

Compassion71 Guest

I will try to get a picture tomorrow while he's eating. He's the cutest little thing, and a little trooper. I was watching him bury nuts today, and he dove in head first to the snow to form a deep hole, dropped the nut in, then did what looked like some karate chop moves with his arms to finalize the process. Sooo funny. I sure hope it's not mites, poor little guy. Is it possible that it's some kind of genetic condition, or is that unlikely? A huge thank you to all who have responded.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Compassion71 from:

RockyPops (12-22-2019)

Kitten/cat Revolution must come from a vet, it requires a prescription. Maybe someone you know has a cat or can get some. If not, it can be purchased online from Joes Pet Meds in Australia without a Rx.

Try offering them some avocado (no pit or skin) and fresh coconut chunks. Both would be good for their skin and fur. Most wilds also like fresh corn on the cob chunks, sugar snap peas and blueberries.

I hope you can help him get his fur cleared up.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Mialouise (12-22-2019), RockyPops (12-22-2019)

You might also consider ordering some Wild Bites from Henry's online, which are packed with nutrition: https://www.henryspets.com/wild-bite...rats-and-mice/

I feed them to my juvenile wilds & anyone else who look like they could use a little extra support. A bit pricey, but seeing my buddies happy & healthy pays it back tenfold!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.