Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: baby dragging back legs

Default Re: baby dragging back legs

Also, if anyone knows if there's a problem switching over to dex - oral dose, after prednisone (he has had two doses of prednisone so far - yesterday and today) - how long I need to wait between, etc., please let me know. Again, I have a lot more dexamethasone, but if an issue, I'll stick to the prednisone. Thanks. Happy Holidays!

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to tgramsey:

frankc (12-25-2019), RockyPops (12-25-2019)

And with baytril and prednisone, can I add a drop of Advantage flea med to the mix? Is there a good reference book or site to check medicine cross-reactions in squirrels? Thanks.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to tgramsey:

frankc (12-27-2019), RockyPops (01-08-2020)

We don’t recommend Advantage. Revolution is the flea/mite brand we recommend.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

frankc (12-27-2019), RockyPops (01-08-2020), tgramsey (12-27-2019)

That's actually what I have -- Revolution, not Advantage. Okay to use a drop along with Baytril and Prednisone? Thank you.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to tgramsey:

frankc (12-27-2019), RockyPops (01-08-2020)

Hello,
    An update about this baby, who I named Chipper. He has been on prednisone for a few weeks now. His dosing is in the ramp down phase, currently getting med every other day. Originally he could not move his back legs at all - they just dangled. Now, one of his back legs is doing great -- he is running on it fairly well. He still drags the 4th leg. I'm curious if I should continue on with the phase out (we have a week and a half or so to go). OR, when you see progress like this with one leg seemingly back in business -- should I do something different, as in take him back to one a day for a while?

Appreciate advice from those of you with prednisone experience. Thank you.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to tgramsey:

frankc (01-07-2020), RockyPops (01-07-2020)

Thats good news! Thanks for the update!

Hoping and praying that Chipper continues to improve!

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

frankc (01-07-2020)

I think I might be inclined to keep him on the once a day treatment a little while longer. When did the one back leg show improvement? Was it early on or more recently? You are giving a very small dosage, correct?

14. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chickenlegs (01-07-2020), frankc (01-07-2020), Nancy in New York (01-07-2020), RockyPops (01-07-2020)

Was approx. 8-10 days ago when I noticed him using the leg a bit - kicking with it when I fed him. Yesterday was the first time I saw him actually using the leg to run. Running away from me, by the way. Despite the fact that I've had this little guy for several weeks now, he is still utterly terrified of me. Bit me a few times. Never had one this scared for this long. Initially I gave him a lower body bath once or twice a day as he was drenching himself in urine. It's better now that his uti is cleared up and he can sit up, but he still needs one every few days. He hates them, of course -- which doesn't help the situaiton.

So, you guys think back to once a day? Or let the med run it's course. He certainly has a lot in his system. He gets .4 ml every other day right now. Thank you.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to tgramsey from:

RockyPops (01-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by tgramsey View Post

He gets .4 ml every other day right now.

What is the strength of the Prednisone, and how much does your little one weigh?
    I hope/think you mean he gets .04 every other day. (Unless of course, the strength is
    super weak)

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Mel1959 (01-08-2020), RockyPops (01-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by tgramsey View Post
    Was approx. 8-10 days ago when I noticed him using the leg a bit - kicking with it when I fed him. Yesterday was the first time I saw him actually using the leg to run. Running away from me, by the way. Despite the fact that I've had this little guy for several weeks now, he is still utterly terrified of me. Bit me a few times. Never had one this scared for this long. Initially I gave him a lower body bath once or twice a day as he was drenching himself in urine. It's better now that his uti is cleared up and he can sit up, but he still needs one every few days. He hates them, of course -- which doesn't help the situaiton.

So, you guys think back to once a day? Or let the med run it's course. He certainly has a lot in his system. He gets .4 ml every other day right now. Thank you.
    Could you please verify the dosage and post the weight? Paralyzed (or partially paralyzed) squirrels seem to be extra fearful if the paralysis occurs when they are older. It’s like they know they are functioning at limited ability so it exacerbates their fear. If you can try to build a trust on his terms the fearfulness may subside, but it could take a long time.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

RockyPops (01-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Could you please verify the dosage and post the weight?
    I reached out via pm to tgramsey to verify the dosage.
    The strength she is going with is much weaker, therefore the dose is higher.
    It was worked out perfectly.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

RockyPops (01-08-2020)

Hi Mel, yes, as Nancy mentioned, we chatted via pm and my dosing is good for Chipper. I'm going to take him back up to once a day for another week. Thanks for that suggestion. A new bit of good news: I noticed this morning he is lifting the other leg a little bit - trying to kick. Nothing huge, but movement where there was none.

Any suggestions for a good way to bond with him? I bundle him him and hold him, talk with him...he never relaxes. If I hold him for too long he tries to bite me.
    Thanks for the help.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to tgramsey:

Nancy in New York (01-09-2020), RockyPops (01-08-2020)

Thank you tgramsey for the time and dedication your showing for Chipper. Movement in the other leg is such good news.

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

Nancy in New York (01-09-2020), tgramsey (01-08-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12