Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sudden death of 5 month old grey. Now concerned about siblings!

Default Sudden death of 5 month old grey. Now concerned about siblings!

I took in 3 baby squirrels at the end of July. Assuming days old since they had their umbilical cords. Fed Esbilac until problems occurred and switched to fox valley.
    Weaned quite some time ago.
    Diet includes Henry’s blocks and Oxbow... but mostly fresh veggies and occasional fruits. Our entire family eats local and seasonal so lately this has been lettuce mix, squash (butternut/acorn/etc), occasional apple, broccoli, slice of banana or grapes.
    Only problems ever have been toe injuries. One tip lost on a microfiber blanket hem (Little Boy) and the other in cage joint (Baby Girl)
    (The new cage is a multi level critter nation lined with paper shred and microfiber). Just Trying to give as much history as possible so mentioning all health history.

Only RECENT changes... moved to a larger cage and also built an outdoor cage for “sunning” once I decided to overwinter before releasing. It’s cold in STL so I’ve only been taking them out for about 30 min to an hour of sun on the front porch.

Anyhow, my “Big Boy” actually had a cage to himself after showing dominance over smaller brother and sister 2+ months ago. Cages are stacked so contact wasn’t completely avoided. Other than a longer than usual mid day nap... there were NO signs. I found him dead in his hammock yesterday afternoon.

I’m crushed!
    Since he was isolated, we had him out much more than his siblings. Became so much more attached than I ever imagined. Although they will be released this spring if all goes well, I’m taking the loss pretty hard.

Now I’m experiencing problems with both my remaining babes. Baby Girl (female) and Little Boy (male) are both seeming off. Sleepy, decreased appetites, just not right. Extra cuddly vs hyper and climbing the curtains. I have already diluted a tums and administered to both. I also have given each .5 ml of baytril (25mg/mL 5ml liquid).

Baby girl is showing a quick improvement but Little Boy is still concerning me with his extra cuddles and overall ill demeanor.

I am not a licensed rehabber so may not be able to keep them if I take them to a vet. That’s a chance I’m willing to take if it saves their life. Until that’s an option... please help. It’s a FRI evening, during the holidays, and our exotic vet will not even be available until TH.

Any advice welcome!
    Ask any Questions I’ve left out.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LaurenKimberly888:

frankc (12-14-2019), RockyPops (12-14-2019)

Default Re: Sudden death of 5 month old grey. Now concerned about siblings!

PS.
    Little Boy (showing most symptoms) is extremely thirsty. Drank lots of water, is passing normal urine and stool. Offering unlimited water and Oxbow with a small piece of apple. Was happy to take tums water and drinking regular water, but seems uninterested in food. I normally offer much greater variety but waiting until I rule out MBD and watch diet closely.
    Baby Girl is back at darting around the house. Still doesn’t have great appetite which is concerning. (As in...up until now... I’ve never had them refuse ANY food. EVER! They’re bottomless pits!) But demeanor is much improved in the female.

What could this be that hit all 3 so fast and hard? I can’t imagine losing another fur baby

I will be sleeping with my Little Boy this evening to keep an eye on him. Also noticed his tail isn’t as “lively” and he has been stretching and yawning more than usual.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LaurenKimberly888:

Last update...
    Racking my brain as to what is going on.
    Additional info,
    1) we got new firewood and all the squirrels were playing and chewing on it while on our front porch.
    2) not at the same time, but same place, is visited by my rehabbed and released raccoons and occasionally the visiting feral cat and opossums. The squirrels are only out mid day for a short sunning and occasionally to roam the front porch. No direct contact. But thinking of WHAT they’ve come in contact with that is outside the norm. They are primarily indoors.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LaurenKimberly888:

I’m so sorry for your loss.

What type of heat do you have? Do you have a carbon monoxide detector in your home?
    It’s just a thought. I don’t think this is MBD. Your dose sounds very high. Can you give more details on the Baytril concentration.

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

frankc (12-14-2019), Nancy in New York (12-14-2019), RockyPops (12-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I’m so sorry for your loss.

Can you give more details on the Baytril concentration.

Patti, the strength is 25mg/ml.

10. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

frankc (12-14-2019), gunpackingrandma (12-18-2019), HRT4SQRLS (12-14-2019), RockyPops (12-14-2019)

Thank you for the condolences. He became more integrated in our family than ever intended so we are feeling his loss on a grand scale. My phone has more pics and videos of him than anyone else but I can’t get thru one without crying. Looking thru videos for clues
    And I still see nothing! Just missing him and his antics.

DRASTIC improvements in both Little Boy and Baby Girl this AM. Energy is up (both are pacing cages for free time and treats) Appetite for Oxbow is down. Offered some pear slices and those where shunned. That’s still weird. Normally they will rip my snacks from my mouth!

Now I’m wondering WHAT I did that helped (Baytril vs TUMS) or both? Or was it something they just pulled thru? Seems unlikely since Big Boy was the strongest and largest, yet passed away without treatment.

We have carbon monoxide detectors and non have made a peep. We have had a few fires in the fireplace with the new wood I mentioned we got.

Their new cages is only rolled from our family room to the front porch and back so they’re rarely unattended. At night I cover their cage with sheets to minimize the poop litter.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LaurenKimberly888:

Ps. I really would like to hold off on dosing Baytril or Tums until I know the exact amount and if it’s necessary. I am fortunate to have the Baytril left over from treating a pet rat. They are similar in build so I gave half the dosed amount to be safe.

Lastly, we also have 3 pet rats and I’m hoping this isn’t something they can get. Washing hands and minimizing cross contamination but cages are on the same level of the house.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LaurenKimberly888:

Baytril 25 mg/mL 5ml

Prescribed at .1 for pet rat.
    Administered .05 to both my squirrels.

I tried loading photos from my phone but I’m unsuccessful.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LaurenKimberly888 from:

frankc (12-14-2019)

Good to hear that others two seem to be improving.

You mentioned new wood and raccoons. Is there a chance they picked up a bacteria etc. from the new wood or raccoons?

Has their poop or urine changed around this same time?

I am not experienced in these matters but just throwing out ideas.

Keep us posted. And pics would be nice.

Edit: (Just read where you've tried the pics) and what about chemicals or poison on new wood?

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

frankc (12-14-2019)

Heat is gas and central. No additional heat on the squirrels as they are in the middle of our living room for the winter.

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LaurenKimberly888:

Quote Originally Posted by RockyPops View Post
    Good to hear that others two seem to be improving.

You mentioned new wood and raccoons. Is there a chance they picked up a bacteria etc. from the new wood or raccoons?

Has their poop or urine changed around this same time?

I am not experienced in these matters but just throwing out ideas.

Keep us posted. And pics would be nice.
    My thoughts when asking exactly.
    Raccoons have been healthy and never in direct contact. But they come to the same porch I take them sunning in. I’ve only caught glances of the opossums and feral cat as they are not “mine”. No other contact with any other animals. I saved and examined Big Boy closely. Nothing visual.

Poops and urine have resumed as normal. Nothing abnormal before. Just minimal.

While I’m not a licensed rehabber, I’ve worked in the animal healthcare and rescue fields for 20+ years. I’m not a pro but I’m not green either

Is there a way I can post photos/videos from my phone?

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LaurenKimberly888:

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

Patti, the strength is 25mg/ml.
    Baytril 25 mg/mL 5ml

Prescribed at .1 for pet rat.
    Administered .05 to both my squirrels.

I’m sorry for the earlier typo. Dose I gave to each was .05 not .5

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LaurenKimberly888:

Nancy in New York (12-14-2019), RockyPops (12-14-2019)

As for pics, do you access TSB from your phone as well or from a computer?

If from computer, you'll need to load photos onto your computer first I think.

Once on your computer there is an icon at top icon banner, just click on it and select photo from your files.

Sad to say but I'm not real tech savvy either!

Quote Originally Posted by LaurenKimberly888 View Post
    Last update...
    Racking my brain as to what is going on.
    Additional info,
    1) we got new firewood and all the squirrels were playing and chewing on it while on our front porch.
    2) not at the same time, but same place, is visited by my rehabbed and released raccoons and occasionally the visiting feral cat and opossums. The squirrels are only out mid day for a short sunning and occasionally to roam the front porch. No direct contact. But thinking of WHAT they’ve come in contact with that is outside the norm. They are primarily indoors.
    Hi I have been following the posts. First I am so sorry to hear you lost that baby. Most all of us here know your pain, and anytime we hear of a squirrel passing we all feel it along with you.
    The question I have is about the fire wood. Is this wood from trees or is it by chance scrap lumber? Is there any treated wood that you have burned ? If so this could be a real problem not only for the squirrels but humans as well. Treated lumber should never be burned in a closed area, and even when burned outside you need to be up wind. It is very toxic. What type of wood are you burning if it is tree wood?, and do you get any smoke when starting the fire or while it is burning in the house.
    Squirrels Do Matter

If you Were Lucky Enough To Have Loved and Taken Care Of A Squirrel Then
    You Showed Him Or Her More Love Than They Would Have Ever Known In The Wild
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Member Of WRAM ( Wildlife Rehabbers association Massachusetts)

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to frankc from:

RockyPops (12-14-2019)

The wood came from a coworker of the Mr.
    He said it was stored on the back of the home for over a year and was a mix of fallen trees around their property. It’s definitely natural in origin. I will add, however, that there was a strong Smokey odor the evening we burned the new wood.

No access to a laptop at the moment, only my iPhone and iPad. But I can possibly borrow one.

29. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LaurenKimberly888:

Lauren, look under your post box and you will see MANAGE ATTACHMENT. Click that.

On the next screen, toward the upper right you will see ADD FILES. Click this.

Next is CHOOSE FILE. Click that.

You will get an option to take a pic or select from your photo library. Click Photo Library.

Select the pics you want to post. And then Upload. Then Insert. Your pic should show up.

Your diet looks perfect. They didn’t get excess nuts did they?
    If not, I would rule out MBD.

Was the day you burned the wood the same day that Big Boy died?

I grew up with a fireplace in the home. It usually worked well but if the atmospheric pressure was high it didn’t draw well and smoke would enter the house. After I left home, my parents nearly died from CO poisoning or at least that was what was suspected. They both got sick at the same time while watching TV.

Is there any possibility it could have been air quality associated with the fire?

https://www.epa.gov/burnwise/wood-smoke-and-your-health

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...hic_square.jpg

33. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

frankc (12-14-2019)

Your diet looks perfect. They didn’t get excess nuts did they?
    If not, I would rule out MBD.
    I actually haven’t given them any nuts regularly. I’ve read that it can bring out aggression and possessiveness so they only receive the nuts that are in their Henry’s blocks. The times I’ve given them the occasional pecan or shelled walnut... that proved correct. That has been the only times they’ve show aggression towards me so holding off until it’s time to wild them up for release.

Also... Awaiting new Henry’s healthy blocks. It’s been maybe a week or two since they’ve had them. That’s because they end of our last batch had some mold show up on the inside. Awaiting another batch to be frozen. Assuming the rat food has plenty to hold them over, though. No other signs of MBD.

35. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LaurenKimberly888 from:

RockyPops (12-23-2019)

Was the day you burned the wood the same day that Big Boy died?

I grew up with a fireplace in the home. It usually worked well but if the atmospheric pressure was high it didn’t draw well and smoke would enter the house. After I left home, my parents nearly died from CO poisoning or at least that was what was suspected. They both got sick at the same time while watching TV.

Is there any possibility it could have been air quality associated with the fire?

https://www.epa.gov/burnwise/wood-smoke-and-your-health

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...hic_square.jpg
    Them climbing around on the firewood was the only environmental change. As for burning a fire, the last one was Sunday evening and he passed on Thursday.

Is there a chance there was a bacterial contaminate on the firewood that responded to the Baytril?

37. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LaurenKimberly888:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast