Thread: Squirrel With Bleeding Penis

Default Squirrel With Bleeding Penis

Hello, TSB. Something happened yesterday afternoon that has me really concerned, scared, and worried.
    I give my little, sweet neuro squirrel, Jacob, who is approximately 2 years and 9 months old, a bath every afternoon with a washcloth and a bowl of warm water. I do this every day because he urinates in his bed and/or on the floor then he drags his little belly right through it, sometimes before I can get it cleaned up, leaving the fur on his abdomen, chest, back legs, and sometimes his tail, staining these areas yellow with dried urine.
    So yesterday afternoon, I was giving Jacob his daily bath. When I was wiping down his lower abdomen and his inner back legs, suddenly his penis came out. And to my horror, it was covered in blood when it came out! Then he started urinating while his penis was still out. The urine itself was clear, but his penis was bloody. After he finished urinating, his penis went back in. But it was still bloody, and the blood continued to come out of his penis for a few more seconds, and his lower abdomen area, the area above his penis, and all around his penis got blood on it! I was absolutely terrified when this happened to Jacob, and I have no idea what is going on, what is wrong with him, and what caused this to happen. This isn't the first time his penis has come out. It came out a few times this past summer. Previous to this, his penis has not come out since sometime in August. And when it did come out, he would just clean it, and then it would go back in. This is the first time that it was bleeding when it came out, though.
    Any ideas about what may be causing this? Does he maybe have an infection? I have an antibiotic (Baytril) for him, but I don't know if I should give it to him or not because I don't know if he has an infection or not, but if he does, I don't know if Baytril would be the right antibiotic. But, according to my exotic vet, Baytril is pretty much the only antibiotic he can safely take because of the neurological issues he has. And I do trust that my vet knows what he is talking about because he has over 30 years experience in treating squirrels. Some of those squirrels have also had neurological issues, like my Jacob does, and he also personally rescues and raises squirrels.
    I would really appreciate it if anyone could share with me any ideas about what might be wrong with my sweet little Jacob, and what I can do to help him. I am just beside myself with worry because I know this is not normal, and this can't be a good thing happening to him. Thank you all so much!

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Bella's Mom:

frankc (12-13-2019), RockyPops (12-13-2019)

Default Re: Squirrel With Bleeding Penis

Poor baby!

Someone will check in soon!

Thank you for caring for him!

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

frankc (12-13-2019)

I’m not sure why there would be profuse blood unless he injured it while dragging himself or he has a severe UTI. Either way, if your vet prescribed Baytril for him and you have the correct dosage then I think you should give it to him. Baytril will control a UTI if that’s what this is and if it’s not then it won’t hurt him to have taken it.

I hope others will chime in with their opinions.

Have you thought about making some type of skoot for him that covers his belly and legs to help prevent drag sores and absorb urine? Chickenlegs, is the name of a member on here who has come up with a design for a skoot for her squirrel and if you reach out to her I’m sure she’ll help you.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

frankc (12-13-2019), RockyPops (12-13-2019)

Since you have access to a vet, it might be a good idea to take him in and have the vet examine him.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

frankc (12-14-2019), RockyPops (12-13-2019)