Thread: Enough calcium??? Zupreem primate

Default Enough calcium??? Zupreem primate

Hi everyone! Our little guy is doing great over the last 2 months for those of you who helped us out! He was self weining off formula during his illness from the new esbilac formula making alot of squirrels sick. However 2 months later hes obviously eating 100% solids. ALOT of avocado, tomatoes, lettuce, little bit of fruit, and eats prob one zupreem block or two a day. Full of life and energy, loves to play, ive noticed hes starting to loose fur. His tail isnt nealy as bushy as it once was. No bald spots or anything but a noticable change. I fear his nutrition isnt correct. Is zupreem enough calcium and he should just be eating more of it or do we need to supplement his calcium? Thank you for any help!

P.s. hes about 5 mo ths old now

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirreldad112 from:

RockyPops (12-11-2019)

Default Re: Enough calcium??? Zupreem primate

I’m not sure that calcium is the culprit for hair loss. I think it can be a factor of many nutrients, with protein being primary. Have you tried any other blocks? I had a dwarf squirrel that suffered from hair loss and when I switched his block to Envigo Harlan Teklad 2018 his hair regrew. I believe Harlan block is more nutritionally complete than Zupreem...I also think it tastes better. It must be purchased online and is not particularly expensive. I shop for the best price, including the shipping. You can buy it in 5lb bags and larger.

I hope others will chime in with their opinions.

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

frankc (12-11-2019), RockyPops (12-11-2019), Squirreldad112 (12-11-2019)

Thank you very much for your response! We have some other block that a rehaber gave us but I dont know what they are. I am going to get some calcium supplement just to be sure. What is good to feed for protein?

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirreldad112 from:

RockyPops (12-11-2019)

I’m not sure if a squirrel will eat it, but try eggs (hard boiled or scrambled) meal worms, wax worms. The Harlan block has 18% protein. I grind it up and mix it with dry Fox Valley 20/50 then mix in enough veggie baby food and coconut oil to bind it together. I then roll into tiny balls and feed it to my guys. They’re called boo balls and there’s lots of recipes in the nutrition section. You can also buy whey protein in powdered form from Henrys Pets online.

Have you ruled out mites? You can treat him with one drop of kitten Revolution. It must be purchased from a vet, but you can buy it online at Joes Pet Meds. Mites will cause hair loss.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

RockyPops (12-12-2019)

No I haven't ruled out mites. I though mites cause actual bare spots? His whole tail is slowly loosing fur. Not as bushy as it once was. Also a slightly thin spot between his shoulder blades and another thinning spot on his right hip. How do I diagnose for mites. Taking him to a vet where I live isnt an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirreldad112 View Post
    No I haven't ruled out mites. I though mites cause actual bare spots? His whole tail is slowly loosing fur. Not as bushy as it once was. Also a slightly thin spot between his shoulder blades and another thinning spot on his right hip. How do I diagnose for mites. Taking him to a vet where I live isnt an option.
    You can purchase the Revolution from Joes Pet Meds online. You just place one drop on the skin at the back of his neck. If he doesn’t have mites the Revolution won’t hurt him. Posting a picture of the areas of thinning hair will give folks a chance to see what you’re talking about and may have ideas of what may be causing it.

The thinning hair definitely sounds like its nutritional. You should start making some changes and see if anything helps. Purchase the Harlan block and offer it to him. I think it is more nutritionally complete than what you’re feeding now. Keep in mind it can take a few months for hair to regrow.

Someone else on here just posted that they have a squirrel that likes dried grasshoppers. You would find them at a pet store on the shelf with the food items for bearded dragons.