Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on new baby squirrel ASAP

Exclamation Need advice on new baby squirrel ASAP

So I have had my baby for about a month now and I got her when she was 6 weeks old. I am not 100%sure but I think she has been having seizures. It happens sometimes when she is in my bonding pouch and I just feel a very intense vibration (not the mild kind they do when communicating). She seems to curl up in a ball when it happens and gets pretty lethargic. I'm not sure what is normal since I am a new squirrel owner. She has only been active for about 4-6 hours a day and all the other time she moves really slow ,stays in her nestbox,or pokes her head out and stares. She still takes fox valley formula but also eats Henry's rodent blocks (almost 2 a day) ,veggies, fruits, an occasional meal worm, and a shelled nut . I didnt have rodent blocks when I first got her because I wasnt aware that she was on solids so it took me a while to get them shipped to me and I'm worried in that time span a calcium deficiency might have started. So I need any advice I can get. I wont be able to get her to the vet until Monday. So far I have mixed a calcium pill in her formula (600mg but she only drank 1/3-1/2 of the mixture) and I also rolled up some in peanut butter balls that have roughly 100mg of calcium per ball to give to her as well. I plan on cutting them in half since I heard flyers need around 50mg since they are smaller to supplement. My fiance thinks I am overreacting but I really think something might be up. Can she be harmed by this uptake in calcium if she isnt deficient? From all I read most reccomend treating as if you know they have MBD immediately to prevent brain damage but there is so much info out there. I just want to know I am doing everything to protect my little Dart so she is happy and healthy. Thank you in advance for any help or advice anyone has to offer.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Catem777 from:

RockyPops (12-07-2019)

Default Re: Need advice on new baby squirrel ASAP

Hello Catem777,

Welcome to TSB.

I'm no expert but please keep checking back here often. Someone will be able to help you and these threads are monitored by professionals on a regular basis.

Meanwhile, pics of your baby, weight etc. will be helpful to have on hand.

Thank you for loving your baby! Dart!

Does she have a name?
    Last edited by RockyPops; 12-07-2019 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Saw you already posted name!

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

frankc (12-07-2019)

Hi Also did this baby fall from a nest ? This would also be important to know as babies usually land on there head being the heavier part of there body. This along with what Rockypops asked would be of great help.
    Squirrels Do Matter

If you Were Lucky Enough To Have Loved and Taken Care Of A Squirrel Then
    You Showed Him Or Her More Love Than They Would Have Ever Known In The Wild
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Member Of WRAM ( Wildlife Rehabbers association Massachusetts)

Her name is Dart, and I have not witnessed her falling. Her nesting box is at the bottom of her cage (I have bonding pouches up high but never witnessed her fall)
    . She is usually active from 2am-7am so I havnt gotten to see her play too much so really cant tell you if she has. I have a fleece blanket on the bottom of her cage that is folded a few times so if she has fallen it would hopefully have softened her fall. I just weighed her in her bonding pouch and got around 85gms (bonding pouch included) the scale is a little small so I'm not sure how accurate it is :/. I tried to attach a few pics but not sure if it worked. Thanks so much for the quick reply!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Catem777 from:

frankc (12-07-2019)

I'm starting to worry her cage might be too big for her at this age. The first one i had was way to small and she started doing backflips out of boredom so my breeder told me to put her in her final cage which is HUGE. I do have a travel cage that is about 4 feet tall it's just not as secure as my permanent one.....Should I consider putting her in the travel cage? I'm driving myself a little crazy with all this and it is really putting me off having kids lol. But others have assured me babies arent nearly as fragile or fast as a baby flyer hah.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Catem777 from:

RockyPops (12-07-2019)

Great This will help. Can you way the pouch, then subtract that from the 85 grams, that will be her actual weight. This will be import in dosing any meds. Do you by chance have any valium ?
    Squirrels Do Matter

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to frankc from:

RockyPops (12-07-2019)

So her weight seems to be roughly 55 g if I am operating the scale correctly. Is this a good weight for a 10 week old baby? She seems to have a healthy appetite for the most part except for shunning blackberries .

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Catem777:

frankc (12-07-2019), RockyPops (12-07-2019)

And valium for me or Dart? I have valerian root I should probably take so I can stop shaking out of worry :0.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Catem777 from:

RockyPops (12-07-2019)

Hi Catem
    LOL!! I know what you mean it makes you into a nervous wreck. Stay by the computer I have sent out a request for help from the best on the board so help will be coming I am sure. In the mean time how is Dart doing ?
    Squirrels Do Matter

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to frankc from:

RockyPops (12-07-2019)

Awe thank you so much!!! She is doing ok,just chilling in her bonding pouch on my chest clicking her teeth. She is a little cranky from me moving her back and forth from her pouch to be weighed but she likes her beauty rest !

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Catem777 from:

RockyPops (12-07-2019)

Awesome !! Just stay close to the computer the call for help is out
    Squirrels Do Matter

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to frankc from:

RockyPops (12-07-2019)

Hi Catum,

Can you tell me how often you are feeding formula and how much at a time. Is she drinking water out of a dish or water bottle? She is a beauty!
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

I am feeding her formula 3 times a day roughly 5-6 hours apart and she drinks 1-2 syringes a feeding. My breeder told me to give her formula as long as she would take it (even as an adult) and that she would naturally wean herself when ready. I do catch her drinking water out of her bird style water feeder mostly after she has had a squirrel block so I know she knows where it is and how to use it but she still loves her formula. And thanks!!! She is a cute little fuzz ball.

25. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Catem777:

frankc (12-07-2019), redwuff (12-07-2019), RockyPops (12-07-2019)

So I have had a few flyers and went back to the thread I had and looked for advice I had been given.

Looks like you are doing well with her. I was told that adding to formula mixing 2 parts water to 1 part formula and adding 1/2 part creme and 1/2 part yogurt. I would go ahead and do that even tho she is close to weaning. I don’t think being low on fat could cause seizures if that is what she is dealing with. But I could be wrong. Keep lights low and stimulus low also. When she has the shakes thing notice if anything is going on around you, noise etc. Dehydration could cause seizures but she is still on formula. Low calcium 1 month ago should not be an issue now if she was fed enough. When you can, could you get another weight on her and pictures of her sideways.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

27. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Quote Originally Posted by Catem777 View Post
    I am feeding her formula 3 times a day roughly 5-6 hours apart and she drinks 1-2 syringes a feeding. My breeder told me to give her formula as long as she would take it (even as an adult) and that she would naturally wean herself when ready. I do catch her drinking water out of her bird style water feeder mostly after she has had a squirrel block so I know she knows where it is and how to use it but she still loves her formula. And thanks!!! She is a cute little fuzz ball.
    You sound right on with feeding. I would go ahead and add creme and yogurt. How did you base how much to feed each feeding?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

frankc (12-07-2019)

So far I have mixed a calcium pill in her formula (600mg but she only drank 1/3-1/2 of the mixture) and I also rolled up some in peanut butter balls that have roughly 100mg of calcium per ball to give to her as well. Can she be harmed by this uptake in calcium if she isn't deficient?
    The calcium is unlikely to harm her, but often "calcium pills" for humans have Vitamin D in them, often more than you'd want to give a squirrel. Can you tell us exactly what calcium pill you used?

31. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

I'll try to weigh her again and get some more pics when my fiance gets home (I still can't handle her alone without being scared she will get away from me and get lost). I was under the impression that if I gave her fox valley formula I didnt need to add the yogurt and cream but if that's incorrect I'll start doing that asap. And the breeder I got her from said she should take 1-3 syringes per feeding and that she would stop feeding when she was full so I just followed those guidelines. There was a day where she didnt take her normal amount (barely 1.5 syringes per feeding but that was about a week ago and only lasted a day. I freaked out when that happened and frantically contacted the breeder at 12am...via messenger :0. I think I'm driving him crazy with my paranoia so I figured I would post here with this. And thanks for saying I'm doing ok.....I'm trying REALLY hard lol

33. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Catem777:

And the calcium does have D3 10mcg(400IU) but she has only had roughly half a pill so if the D3 is a concern I can stop with that and get a different supplement. I just figured if it were an emergency I should act just in case .

35. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Catem777:

She is in our living room which lights are on for a good amount of time. My fiance was playing call of duty around the time it happened which was even making me anxious with all the noise but she was in the bonding pouch so I dont think light is too much of a contributer. I just never really considered light and sound as a factor. I'll get some lamps to make the light more dim and have him wear headphones from now on.

37. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Catem777:

And the calcium does have D3 10mcg(400IU) but she has only had roughly half a pill so if the D3 is a concern I can stop with that and get a different supplement. I just figured if it were an emergency I should act just in case .
    I would not give her any more of this calcium. You can get Tums (plain Tums, some of them also have Vitamin D) or order calcium from Henry's.

I just want to understand... has Dart had only the only seizure, during the game playing and what not?

Hold her to your ear and listen very carefully for a "clicking" sound or crispiness in her breathing... kinda like the snap, crackle, pop of rice crispies cereal. Since she is getting formula, it would be good to rule out Aspiration Pneumonia (AP).

When you say 2 - 3 syringes, are those 1ml syringes? And is the formula Fox Valley 20/50 or 32/40 (or something else)?

And finally, can you elaborate on her diet... what kids of veggies and how much. Ditto the fruit.

39. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast