Thread: Hi from Texas

Default Hi from Texas

About 2 months ago, a friend who works in the logging woods, brought home a baby squirrel. Eyes were not even open yet. Mom didn't make the tree fall, two babies were split up between the two loggers. One didn't make 24 hrs, however, Rocky is alive and well. Thriving. He is being fed fresh veggies daily, treats of grapes as well. His diet does include pecans and walnuts and I also got the Rat & Mice nutrient bites for him as well. Up until the last few days he has been on a regular scheduled milk feeding, according to his type and age. Cutting back on the milk has not made him a happy camper at all. While he does drink out of his water bottle, he really enjoyed his feedings....lol. If he eats while out of his enclosure, he will pee and poop where he is, however, he prefers to use the cedar chips to do his "business" in. While I do live in Texas, I feel that it is too cold to put him outside. I plan to release him in the spring. We have an acre boarded by wooded area. I plan to use the little tree house we have on a tree within 10 ft of our back yard. In the 6 months that I have lived here, I have seen 1 squirrel on it. A young one at that. I feel it would be the best place for him at the beginning. From there on, he will find his own. Not to mention, he will be close to me so I can watch over him. As soon as I figure out how to add photos I will. And, I have contacted the wildlife dept in my area, since he was doing well and I had no problem with keeping him, they let me keep him after I assured them that he will be released.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockysTXMom:

Chirps (12-07-2019), RockyPops (12-07-2019)

Default Re: Hi from Texas

RockyTXMom

to TheSquirrelBoard

I’m glad you found us. I wouldn’t contact the Wildlife officials again. We have heard horror stories. Fish and Game are usually ‘by the books’ and their books are not friendly to backyard rehabbers. They can be very cruel.

Can you tell us which formula you used? The reason I ask is because the usual formula used to raise baby squirrels was horribly defective this year. Babies on formula started breaking bones. When it was clear that this was a wide spread problem, we knew there was a formula issue. Babies on the defective formula needed treatment for Metabolic Bone Disease. By the way, we don’t wean babies. We let them decide when they want to stop. The formula is the best insurance against MBD, except of course when it’s defective like the Esbilac was this year.

Your baby is too young for release so I’m glad you will overwinter him.
    Which type of Rat and Mice nutrient bites did you get? Some are good and some aren’t. Your baby shouldn’t get too many nuts. Actually I didn’t let my babies know nuts existed until they were 12 weeks old. Squirrels love nuts and will start rejecting healthy food. They will hold out for nuts. Nuts are very unhealthy due to their high phosphorus. Too many nuts (high phosphorus) will cause calcium to be pulled from the bones. Captive or pet squirrels are limited to 1-2 nuts per day

Here is a link to the healthy diet for captive squirrels.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

4. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Chirps (12-07-2019), Diggie's Friend (12-15-2019), frankc (12-07-2019), gunpackingrandma (12-07-2019), RockyPops (12-07-2019), RockysTXMom (12-07-2019), stepnstone (12-07-2019)

Thank you for saving Rocky!

I agree, overwintering with a spring time release is a good plan!

Can't wait to see pictures!

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

frankc (12-07-2019), gunpackingrandma (12-07-2019), RockysTXMom (12-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    RockyTXMom

to TheSquirrelBoard

I’m glad you found us. I wouldn’t contact the Wildlife officials again. We have heard horror stories. Fish and Game are usually ‘by the books’ and their books are not friendly to backyard rehabbers. They can be very cruel.

Can you tell us which formula you used? The reason I ask is because the usual formula used to raise baby squirrels was horribly defective this year. Babies on formula started breaking bones. When it was clear that this was a wide spread problem, we knew there was a formula issue. Babies on the defective formula needed treatment for Metabolic Bone Disease. By the way, we don’t wean babies. We let them decide when they want to stop. The formula is the best insurance against MBD, except of course when it’s defective like the Esbilac was this year.

Which type of Rat and Mice nutrient bites did you get? Some are good and some aren’t. Your baby shouldn’t get too many nuts. Actually I didn’t let my babies know nuts existed until they were 12 weeks old. Squirrels love nuts and will start rejecting healthy food. They will hold out for nuts. Nuts are very unhealthy due to their high phosphorus. Too many nuts (high phosphorus) will cause calcium to be pulled from the bones. Captive or pet squirrels are limited to 1-2 nuts per day

I used PetAg puppy milk replacer because when I got him, he was so young and no time to get him anything else. I mixed yogurt and whipping cream in as well. As for nuts, he only gets 2 or 3 a day. Small pieces, though he does like to crack the nuts open. Usually he is eating grapes, broccoli, squash, apples. He absolutely loves grapes and broccoli. He nibbles on the apples and squash is always last. The only nuts I give him are pecans and walnuts. If given a choice between grapes, broccoli and nuts, grapes always go first, then broccoli and finally he will eat the nuts. I haven't had an issue with chewing yet......well except trying my fingernails....lol. He knows my voice, smell and his name. He comes when I call him, for now. He is as big as a kitten. He is very inquisitive and I watch him well when he is out. He is not fond of me being on the phone, he will climb up on the screen and just sit on it till I play with him....lol. He has definitely decided I am mom, as when any loud noise, i.e. big trucks going by, he runs to me and stands on my knee until he feels it is safe. We play with pine cones, and empty cigarette packs when someone forgets to throw it away. I have to hide my lighters because he just loves them. As you can see in the photo, we are pretty close. I have no other animals in the home and my boyfriend drives a big truck and only comes in every three months. Manna Pro Rat and Mice is what I got at the tractor supply store. Name:  20191207_175825.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  93.4 KB

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockysTXMom:

frankc (12-07-2019), RockyPops (12-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RockysTXMom View Post
    I used PetAg puppy milk replacer because when I got him, he was so young and no time to get him anything else. I mixed yogurt and whipping cream in as well. As for nuts, he only gets 2 or 3 a day. Small pieces, though he does like to crack the nuts open. Usually he is eating grapes, broccoli, squash, apples. He absolutely loves grapes and broccoli. He nibbles on the apples and squash is always last. The only nuts I give him are pecans and walnuts. If given a choice between grapes, broccoli and nuts, grapes always go first, then broccoli and finally he will eat the nuts. I haven't had an issue with chewing yet......well except trying my fingernails....lol. He knows my voice, smell and his name. He comes when I call him, for now. He is as big as a kitten. He is very inquisitive and I watch him well when he is out. He is not fond of me being on the phone, he will climb up on the screen and just sit on it till I play with him....lol. He has definitely decided I am mom, as when any loud noise, i.e. big trucks going by, he runs to me and stands on my knee until he feels it is safe. We play with pine cones, and empty cigarette packs when someone forgets to throw it away. I have to hide my lighters because he just loves them. As you can see in the photo, we are pretty close. I have no other animals in the home and my boyfriend drives a big truck and only comes in every three months. Manna Pro Rat and Mice is what I got at the tractor supply store. Name:  20191207_175825.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  93.4 KB
    I’m glad you mixed the yogurt and whipping cream in the PetAg puppy milk. I’m not sure if you used the PetLac or the Esbilac but frankly both products are bad. The PetLac is nutritionally deficient in general for baby squirrels. Usually Esbilac puppy formula is good and the recommended formula but this year it was a train wreck. Because the PetAg products were not good it might be a good idea to supplement your baby with calcium. If you have Tums you could use that as a calcium supplement. You don’t want to supplement with a calcium that has Vitamin D in it. An easy way to do this is to sprinkle a little on his grape. By the way, I wouldn’t give a grape as a first food. He will fill up on fruit and reject the healthier foods. It is the same with nuts. That is given last as a treat. I think 2-3 pecans or walnuts is a bit too much for an adolescent. They are pretty large. I feed almonds as they are the least ‘unhealthy’ of the nuts. 1-2 almonds would be OK but 2-3 pecans or walnuts is too much. You did mention small pieces so if it’s just small pieces it’s OK.

The usual way of feeding is the block first, then the greens/veggies, then the small amount of fruit and lastly the treat (nut). It encourages eating the healthy foods.
    I’m not familiar with the MannaPro rodent food. I looked at the nutritional breakdown and it appears similar to other commercial rodent blocks. No one that I know uses that particular block. Most here use the Henrys Healthy Blocks. I use the picky eater variety. It is a supplement block that is packed with minerals and vitamins. You only feed one or two blocks a day for a grey squirrel. I really think it’s worth the investment in your babies health. You could use the block you have as a staple block... the Henry’s as a supplement.

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

frankc (12-08-2019), RockyPops (12-07-2019), RockysTXMom (12-07-2019)

I’m glad you mixed the yogurt and whipping cream in the PetAg puppy milk. I’m not sure if you used the PetLac or the Esbilac but frankly both products are bad. The PetLac is nutritionally deficient in general for baby squirrels. Usually Esbilac puppy formula is good and the recommended formula but this year it was a train wreck. Because the PetAg products were not good it might be a good idea to supplement your baby with calcium. If you have Tums you could use that as a calcium supplement. You don’t want to supplement with a calcium that has Vitamin D in it. An easy way to do this is to sprinkle a little on his grape. By the way, I wouldn’t give a grape as a first food. He will fill up on fruit and reject the healthier foods. It is the same with nuts. That is given last as a treat. I think 2-3 pecans or walnuts is a bit too much for an adolescent. They are pretty large. I feed almonds as they are the least ‘unhealthy’ of the nuts. 1-2 almonds would be OK but 2-3 pecans or walnuts is too much. You did mention small pieces so if it’s just small pieces it’s OK.

The usual way of feeding is the block first, then the greens/veggies, then the small amount of fruit and lastly the treat (nut). It encourages eating the healthy foods.
    I’m not familiar with the MannaPro rodent food. I looked at the nutritional breakdown and it appears similar to other commercial rodent blocks. No one that I know uses that particular block. Most here use the Henrys Healthy Blocks. I use the picky eater variety. It is a supplement block that is packed with minerals and vitamins. You only feed one or two blocks a day for a grey squirrel. I really think it’s worth the investment in your babies health. You could use the block you have as a staple block... the Henry’s as a supplement.
    In the mornings he gets his milk and blocks, a few small pieces of fruits and nuts in the evenings. He is really good about eating. Right now I have pedialyte in his water bottle. Unflavored. When should I stop that? Also, I looked at the healthy diet list and will be ordering things and expanding his diet. I really want to give him things he will be able to find around the yard as well so tomorrow I will be doing a hunt....lol. It's a large yard, as I said an acre, with lots of squirrels. We have a family of black squirrels, we have greys and a few reds as well. I will be checking the areas they primarily run around in. The yard has numerous huge pine trees so pine cones are easy. I just want to say I am so thankful for all the advice. I am an avid animal lover and I want to make sure he is safe and viable in the outside and healthy when he is released.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockysTXMom:

frankc (12-08-2019), RockyPops (12-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RockysTXMom View Post
    In the mornings he gets his milk and blocks, a few small pieces of fruits and nuts in the evenings. He is really good about eating. Right now I have pedialyte in his water bottle. Unflavored. When should I stop that? Also, I looked at the healthy diet list and will be ordering things and expanding his diet. I really want to give him things he will be able to find around the yard as well so tomorrow I will be doing a hunt....lol. It's a large yard, as I said an acre, with lots of squirrels. We have a family of black squirrels, we have greys and a few reds as well. I will be checking the areas they primarily run around in. The yard has numerous huge pine trees so pine cones are easy. I just want to say I am so thankful for all the advice. I am an avid animal lover and I want to make sure he is safe and viable in the outside and healthy when he is released.
    How long has he been on Pedialyte?
    This should be given for no more than 24 hours!
    Too high in sodium and they don't need the dyes in it.
    Offer him plain water.

14. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

frankc (12-08-2019), HRT4SQRLS (12-08-2019), Mialouise (12-08-2019), RockyPops (12-08-2019), RockysTXMom (12-08-2019)

I would remove the Pedialyte now. He needs water in the water bottle.

You can give him sugar snap peas, avocado, sweet potato, mushrooms and hard squash. These are usually received well.

You can cut oak branches from the yard. They love to chew the bark. In the spring they eat the leaf buds.
    I wouldn’t pick mushrooms from the yard.

16. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

frankc (12-08-2019), Nancy in New York (12-08-2019), RockyPops (12-08-2019), RockysTXMom (12-08-2019)

Thank you for the picture!

You have a beautiful baby! Rocky

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

frankc (12-08-2019), Nancy in New York (12-08-2019), RockysTXMom (12-08-2019)

Thank you for rescuing these babies!

Just a note on the branches. Since the squirrel no longer has its mother to show them what are the good to chew on, it now falls to you to do it for them prior to offering them any branch. If though you can't positively identify the tree or bush a branch is from, which is needful to do to be able use these reference guides to sort out those that are toxic from those that are toxic sources, then it's best not bring those branches in for the squirrel to chew on.

https://exoticanimalsupplies.com/safe-wood-gerbils/

https://rodentclub.livejournal.com/146491.html

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

RockyPops (12-08-2019), RockysTXMom (12-08-2019)

RockyTXMom

to TheSquirrelBoard

Thank you so much for this. I have greatly expanded Rocky's diet. He's had dandelion greens from the yard, grass, pine bark.......I went shopping and got him all kinds of veggies. He eats his blocks in the morning, has stopped wanting milk, drinking water out of water bottle and bowl. I've skipped his nuts two days in a row with his fresh veggies and he hasn't "complained" at all. I did try scrambled eggs, he wanted no part of that....lol. He loves the outside stuff and fresh veggies more. With winter being here I have few things to choose from outside. His fav veggies are the lettuces, cauliflower and cherry tomatoes. Name:  20191214_182330.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  89.1 KB

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockysTXMom:

frankc (12-15-2019), RockyPops (12-15-2019)

Thumbs up Re: Hi from Texas

He is adorable !! Thank You for loving and taking care of him. He is precious.
    Squirrels Do Matter

If you Were Lucky Enough To Have Loved and Taken Care Of A Squirrel Then
    You Showed Him Or Her More Love Than They Would Have Ever Known In The Wild
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Member Of WRAM ( Wildlife Rehabbers association Massachusetts)

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to frankc:

RockyPops (12-15-2019), RockysTXMom (12-16-2019)